• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think it is a case of first time trial and error. The key to getting a surfable wake from your Yamaha is to get the boat to list (lean) to the surf side and weight the surf side corner. If there's just the two of you in the boat, only fill the rear under seat on the surf side. Get the speed about 10mph. Then, back off the throttle on the surf side and throttle up on the non surf side. Back off enough on the surf side as much as you can and still help it maintain speed. You may be at 2500 rpm surf side and 6500 rpm on the other. Performing a gradual turn surf side will also help. Also a full tank of gas.

In this video, I'm using this strategy to go ropeless behind my AR240. Minus the full tank of gas. The water was rough that day so I wasn't able to go for long before getting thrown.
For me without any wake shaper if I keep the surf side motor the same as the other it seems to clean up the wave better. If I decrease the RPM, i.e. drop the bucket more, it sprays more water into the back of the hull and into the wave. Non surf side wave looks damn good. Too bad I'm not goofy footed. My surf side ballast has a ton of more room too. I bet if I had a block off valve on the other side and could run the pump longer to fill my surf side ballast some more I'd be in business. I know there's a process to increase the fill time on these ballasts, just haven't done so yet. Need to mess with that one day when I'm out on the boat, but not planning on actually surfing. That season is coming up fast.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think it is a case of first time trial and error. The key to getting a surfable wake from your Yamaha is to get the boat to list (lean) to the surf side and weight the surf side corner. If there's just the two of you in the boat, only fill the rear under seat on the surf side. Get the speed about 10mph. Then, back off the throttle on the surf side and throttle up on the non surf side. Back off enough on the surf side as much as you can and still help it maintain speed. You may be at 2500 rpm surf side and 6500 rpm on the other. Performing a gradual turn surf side will also help. Also a full tank of gas.

In this video, I'm using this strategy to go ropeless behind my AR240. Minus the full tank of gas. The water was rough that day so I wasn't able to go for long before getting thrown.
Man, before we went out I was reading this thread about strategies and I saw about having one side at a lower RPM than the other.... I however did it the opposite - I put the surf side throttle higher than the non-surf side. ::facepalm::

BTW - I think this slingshot coaster that I purchased from you is the ticket....

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For me without any wake shaper if I keep the surf side motor the same as the other it seems to clean up the wave better. If I decrease the RPM, i.e. drop the bucket more, it sprays more water into the back of the hull and into the wave. Non surf side wave looks damn good. Too bad I'm not goofy footed. My surf side ballast has a ton of more room too. I bet if I had a block off valve on the other side and could run the pump longer to fill my surf side ballast some more I'd be in business. I know there's a process to increase the fill time on these ballasts, just haven't done so yet. Need to mess with that one day when I'm out on the boat, but not planning on actually surfing. That season is coming up fast.
I am considering putting a valve in the ballast lines that will enable me to only fill up one side's ballast instead of both. Have you considered doing this as well?

Another thing - is there a way to tighten the throttle cables AT the throttle? Mine seem to have a little play, so when it actually feels like I am pushing both throttles forward equally, one is just a smidge behind the other, effectively making the RPMs vary. I was going to try and take apart the plastic throttle cover and see, but wanted to ask before getting myself in trouble.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me without any wake shaper if I keep the surf side motor the same as the other it seems to clean up the wave better. If I decrease the RPM, i.e. drop the bucket more, it sprays more water into the back of the hull and into the wave.
Interesting, in my video, I do have the wake wedge attached, but it is adjusted all the way up and not assisting in any way. I don't think your reverse bucket is meant to drop at all until you hit neutral or reverse. Perhaps it's your TV which I don't have? I used this method to help prior to equipping myself with the wedge. I don't bother offsetting throttle with the wedge engaged, but I've heard tale of a few using the technique with the booster.

Here's looking back at 2016, pre Wake Wedge.
I manage to go ropeless, but there's no real clear shot of the wake. My wife is playing around on the rope, but gives the best look at the wave.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That part has been a challenge for me, as ocean surfing your weight is more towards the rear of the board. So that part is hella un-natural to me.
The bigger the wave you get, the more I think you can get back to that "natural" stance.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am considering putting a valve in the ballast lines that will enable me to only fill up one side's ballast instead of both. Have you considered doing this as well?

Another thing - is there a way to tighten the throttle cables AT the throttle? Mine seem to have a little play, so when it actually feels like I am pushing both throttles forward equally, one is just a smidge behind the other, effectively making the RPMs vary. I was going to try and take apart the plastic throttle cover and see, but wanted to ask before getting myself in trouble.
You can, and I did, but didn't really help a whole lot other than making my throttles super touchy at low speeds. Meaning I go from like 5 MPH to 0 instantly and it's jolting. There's no slowly slowing down. LOL!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interesting, in my video, I do have the wake wedge attached, but it is adjusted all the way up and not assisting in any way. I don't think your reverse bucket is meant to drop at all until you hit neutral or reverse. Perhaps it's your TV which I don't have? I used this method to help prior to equipping myself with the wedge. I don't bother offsetting throttle with the wedge engaged, but I've heard tale of a few using the technique with the booster.

Here's looking back at 2016, pre Wake Wedge.
I manage to go ropeless, but there's no real clear shot of the wake. My wife is playing around on the rope, but gives the best look at the wave.

My TV clearly are an issue. I've debated taking them off since they're the old small style anyways and don't really provide much assistance as they don't hang down very low. Debated going to the cobra jet steering.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

I have considered that, but since I've sealed all my hoses now getting those apart is going to be not a lot of fun. My non surf side hose is super short to the ballast bag from the engine bay. I've got a lot of work in the offseason on things I want to do and sadly they're all fighting over the same finite budget. HAH!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@suke @RXBoost We have the same boat. Here are some low cost things you can do to help the wave and get some push.

Separate your ballast tanks with valves. Just start with manual valves for now. Note that you will have to closely watch your tank while filling as your system is designed to be filling two tanks. We just pop up the rear cup holder and stick our hand down there.

Adjust your nozzles to a Surf Point configuration. Let me know if you want specific measurements.

As @J-RAD said a full tank of gas and letting the boat turn surf side will help. Our boats will naturally want to go about 10 mph in a slow turn to port. I sometimes leave the helm and lend my weight to the port side with the boat just doing its thing.

Our towers have the ability to run the rope through a portion that allows an off center pull point. This will make it easier for the newbys.

Always go out with friends. They will see the fun you guys are having and want to try it themselves. You need their weight on the surf side. Do not refer to them as mere ballast.:)

Eventually as you become more addicted you will want to get a Gantlin Wake Wedge. It will smooth out the spray and give you more push.
It sure is fun for me to see you guys enjoying your boats.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ballast fill times are adjusted by selecting off position and then fill again. The owners manually gives a good description. Be careful you don't go to empty as it will start the entire cycle anew and could burst your tanks.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@suke @RXBoost We have the same boat. Here are some low cost things you can do to help the wave and get some push.

Separate your ballast tanks with valves. Just start with manual valves for now. Note that you will have to closely watch your tank while filling as your system is designed to be filling two tanks. We just pop up the rear cup holder and stick our hand down there.

Adjust your nozzles to a Surf Point configuration. Let me know if you specific measurements.

As @J-RAD said a full tank of gas and letting the boat turn surf side will help. Our boats will naturally want to go about 10 mph in a slow turn to port. I sometimes leave the helm and lend my weight to the port side with the boat just doing its thing.

Our towers have the ability to run the rope through a portion that allows an off center pull point. This will make it easier for the newbys.

Always go out with friends. They will see the fun you guys are having and want to try it themselves. You need their weight on the surf side. Do not refer to them as mere ballast.:)

Eventually as you become more addicted you will want to get a Gantlin Wake Wedge. It will smooth out the spray and give you more push.
Surf point measurements will be great! I semi did that by eye balling it, not sure how good I got it. Yeah, my boat will do the same. It'll hold 10mph all day long and turn surf side on its own in a nice big circle. Where do you put the rope for the off center pull? I have the bimini up all the time and don't really see another good place to hook the rope.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When we would surf behind @Bill D 's 242 he used his Gaffrig controls and used the independent reverse bucket levers (separate from throttle with those Gaffrig's) and it would clean up the wave nicely. Those controls are badass and give you more options than standard Yamaha throttle/bucket control.

throttlesuninst.jpg
throttles.jpgthrottles3.jpgykKmLtT.jpg

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Adjust your nozzles to a Surf Point configuration. Let me know if you want specific measurements.

Thanks for the tips!

About separating the ballast tanks - so does having it only on 1 side, but with less weight create a better surf wave than having it on both sides with more total weight?

I'm also intrigued by the surf pointe thing. I don't want to screw something up.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When we would surf behind @Bill D 's 242 he used his Gaffrig controls and used the independent reverse bucket levers (separate from throttle with those Gaffrig's) and it would clean up the wave nicely. Those controls are badass and give you more options than standard Yamaha throttle/bucket control.

View attachment 106382
View attachment 106380View attachment 106381View attachment 106383
Man I looked at those and the cost mixed with how complicated that setup was....I was like nope......no thanks. It's beyond cool, though. I think the $1200 or so to make that a reality would be better spent on a wake wedge.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Surf Point is easy to configure and you can just as easy go back to straight nozzles. I use a 4 foot level and place it across the nozzles after centering the steering wheel. I found on my boat that pointing in 7.27 mm on the port and 8.67 mm on the starboard has given good results. Please bear in mind that I also use the Wake Wedge so your results may vary.

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Surf Point is easy to configure and you can just as easy go back to straight nozzles. I use a 4 foot level and place it across the nozzles after centering the steering wheel. I found on my boat that pointing in 7.27 mm on the port and 8.67 mm on the starboard has given good results. Please bear in mind that I also use the Wake Wedge so your results may vary.
So do you only surf on the Starboard side? My logic here is the more you point it inward, that side would have less wash?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No. We almost always surf the port side. After posting that I started thinking why did I put more into the starboard side. I remember my daughter and I discussing it but can't recall the reasoning. Perhaps due to steering?

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No. We almost always surf the port side. After posting that I started thinking why did I put more into the starboard side. I remember my daughter and I discussing it but can't recall the reasoning. Perhaps due to steering?
Do you have a photo of your wave with the surf point adjustments?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Now before you click on the below please know I surf in shallow water. There was probably 5.5 feet of water in this video. The girl had just learned to drop the rope.
Surf Point helps the wave but is not the "end all" of all surf mods. It is a zero monetary cost addition to your arsenal.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@RXBoost You definitely will get better results with just filling the surf side bag. Leaning our boat helps create the wave.
I believe @Rod5 wrote up a nice Surf Point 'how to' awhile back. It is not difficult. Just carefully keep an eye on how much of the threaded portion of your steering cable you have left.