• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I do not have a wedge. I was looking at possibly getting one (2 because we need both sides and want to use the ladder). But if I can get away with only buying ballast bags OR the wedge I would be good with that pocketbook wise. I can ride ropeless with the stock setup, but the pocket is very short, I am probably 2' behind the boat. We just have a couple bigger riders that don't get the same pull that I do (Im 5'-9" 165) which is why I was looking at more ballast.
Get the wedge and ballast. IMHO you need both, If you're going to surf and surf often and want your friends and family to be able to surf, you need both.
Sometimes you can find them used here on the forum. 2ft is kinda close to the rear swim platform.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I sometimes bump the rear platform with the board if I lose balance at all - I don't think I can get as far back as some of you guys that I see on here - the pocket just isn't long enough.

I will have to keep looking for wedges, I figure it's going to be hard to find a used one for a boat as old as mine.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ugh! Switching sides is a pain. I think @swatski resorted to a second swim deck bag. One could drain while the other filled.

I couldn't speak more highly if the wake wedge in combination with the swim deck bag, but I get the ladder issue with the universal wedge. Tough decision.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@J-RAD unfortunately I just can't put out the $$ for 2 swim deck bags AND a wedge. I was hoping that maybe a wedge and the 575lb swim deck bag would suffice.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@J-RAD unfortunately I just can't put out the $$ for 2 swim deck bags AND a wedge. I was hoping that maybe a wedge and the 575lb swim deck bag would suffice.
It's a big investment for sure. I've not tried the bag centered to know it's effects. Lead ballast might be something to consider. I definitely wouldn't want more than a few hundred pounds on my boat at any one time, but it might be what makes the difference in getting the boat to list and sinking the corner of the swim deck.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's a big investment for sure. I've not tried the bag centered to know it's effects. Lead ballast might be something to consider. I definitely wouldn't want more than a few hundred pounds on my boat at any one time, but it might be what makes the difference in getting the boat to list and sinking the corner of the swim deck.
Now we are thinking of getting the custom bag that goes on the swim deck and just moving it side to side when we switch, since it will only take a few minutes. Is that how you are set up?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now we are thinking of getting the custom bag that goes on the swim deck and just moving it side to side when we switch, since it will only take a few minutes. Is that how you are set up?
Thankfully I don't have to switch... it would be a chore to do, and likely take 20 minutes to make the switch side to side. Having the bag on the surf side is what's most effective.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thankfully I don't have to switch... it would be a chore to do, and likely take 20 minutes to make the switch side to side. Having the bag on the surf side is what's most effective.
I guess what I meant to ask is are you only running the custom transom bag and the wedge?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess what I meant to ask is are you only running the custom transom bag and the wedge?
No I have integrated ballast bags installed on my AR240. One 500lb bag under each rear seat and one 900lb bag in the ski locker. We've been running with the full swim deck bag, full ski locker and 250-500lbs in the under seat on the surf side.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's my wave on Friday. I was trying out the 2020 Slingshot Butter Bar 4'4". I'm 195lbs and 4'4" is the smallest board I've been on behind our boat. It was not a problem to stay on the wave whatsoever. I wished I'd been able to keep riding, but I was spent after a full day of everything else... but I'll be on it more throughout the season for sure!

Setup:
  • Wake Wedge,
  • 850lb Gantlin swim deck bag
  • 500lbs under surf side seat
  • 900lbs ski locker
  • 50% fuel
  • 2 adults and 1 child
  • 11.2 mph GPS (Ridesteady)
  • 12 ft water depth

PBear

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Here's my wave on Friday. I was trying out the 2020 Slingshot Butter Bar 4'4". I'm 195lbs and 4'4" is the smallest board I've been on behind our boat. It was not a problem to stay on the wave whatsoever. I wished I'd been able to keep riding, but I was spent after a full day of everything else... but I'll be on it more throughout the season for sure!

Setup:
  • Wake Wedge,
  • 850lb Gantlin swim deck bag
  • 500lbs under surf side seat
  • 900lbs ski locker
  • 50% fuel
  • 2 adults and 1 child
  • 11.2 mph GPS (Ridesteady)
  • 12 ft water depth
Different question than ballast -- @J-RAD -- How do you mount your GoPro? I ordered one (Hero 8 Black) and I like how you have yours set up.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here's a video of me going ropeless behind our stock 09 212x. All we have done is fill the stock ballast bags. There is nobody else on the boat except the driver. We also do not have cruise control.

It pulls me no problem but look how close I am to the boat and how dirty the wave is....

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a video of me going ropeless behind our stock 09 212x. All we have done is fill the stock ballast bags. There is nobody else on the boat except the driver. We also do not have cruise control.

It pulls me no problem but look how close I am to the boat and how dirty the wave is....

Awesome!

You might be able to clean it up a bit. Try less ballast on the non surf side to list (lean) the boat more surf side. Then have have the driver perform a gradual turn a surf side to help lean the boat even more. Lastly offset the throttles back off on the surf side and up on the non surf to compensate. It should help shape up the wave some, but the pocket will still be quite close to the boat, but it might give you a bit more.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Awesome!

You might be able to clean it up a bit. Try less ballast on the non surf side to list (lean) the boat more surf side. Then have have the driver perform a gradual turn a surf side to help lean the boat even more. Lastly offset the throttles back off on the surf side and up on the non surf to compensate. It should help shape up the wave some, but the pocket will still be quite close to the boat, but it might give you a bit more.
I agree with Jrad, with only the stock setup the only thing you can do is a keep going in a circle to clean it up,

Did you ever get your cavitation/getting on plane issue taken care of??

If you want
bigger (more weight on the rear)
longer (more weight forward)
cleaner (some sort of wedge/mud flap/booster)

mix and match to your liking,

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree with Jrad, with only the stock setup the only thing you can do is a keep going in a circle to clean it up,

Did you ever get your cavitation/getting on plane issue taken care of??

If you want
bigger (more weight on the rear)
longer (more weight forward)
cleaner (some sort of wedge/mud flap/booster)

mix and match to your liking,

Scott,

I replaced the broken intake grate and re siliconed everything but as you know it's been hurricane force winds here the last week haha. So I haven't had the chance to go out since doing those things. I'm hoping one evening this week will be better in the wind department so we can try again.

I would still like to get a wake shaper of some sort so I can be further from the boat like I see so many people on here do.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RXBoost, the good news is that if you can surf that dirty little wave then you've got the technique down to surf anything...

Great validation for that that board too. I don't think I've been on that turbulent of a wave with it, but you're on it and going.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@RXBoost, the good news is that if you can surf that dirty little wave then you've got the technique down to surf anything...

Great validation for that that board too. I don't think I've been on that turbulent of a wave with it, but you're on it and going.
@J-RAD thanks man. I've got the 2 outside fins installed on it, was thinking of doing the 3rd just to try it out.

That's the whole problem with the wave, I have to get right up on the boat for it to not be turbulent. I suppose that's THE reason for getting a wake wedge?

Sometimes we can get it less turbulent than the video, this was shot in like 12' of water, but normally we are in 40'+ and it is a little better.

Stevo2435

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Other

What board are you using?