• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here's what happens when you load 750lbs in the ski locker, four adults, 6 children, and put your transom bag on the center, and just switch the wakebooster back and forth (spoiler, it sucks).wave1.jpeg

cgcaraway

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please give me some pointers, Set up is AR210 with wakebooster, Ride Steady, 800lbs in ski locker, 800lbs on the back surf side seat, 400lbs on swim deck and 400lbs in back between seats. We were running between 10 and 10.6 mph. Just not feeling enough push. We will be changing ballast to 800lbs on swim deck and 400lbs on back surf side seat. I also think we need lots of help on technique. Looking forward to your feedback.

Attachments

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Please give me some pointers, Set up is AR210 with wakebooster, Ride Steady, 800lbs in ski locker, 800lbs on the back surf side seat, 400lbs on swim deck and 400lbs in back between seats. We were running between 10 and 10.6 mph. Just not feeling enough push. We will be changing ballast to 800lbs on swim deck and 400lbs on back surf side seat. I also think we need lots of help on technique. Looking forward to your feedback.
You have a lot more ballast than I do and I go ropeless all day. I think I responded to you in a different thread, but I cannot remember, so please forgive me if that is the case. In the pics you attached, your son is leaning wayyy too far back. He needs to be more balanced and then just use slight leans to go faster or slower.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's just technique for him, that wave is plenty

More front foot weight

cgcaraway

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have a lot more ballast than I do and I go ropeless all day. I think I responded to you in a different thread, but I cannot remember, so please forgive me if that is the case. In the pics you attached, your son is leaning wayyy too far back. He needs to be more balanced and then just use slight leans to go faster or slower.
No worries, and appreciate the feedback. I have a couple of videos but can't seem to figure out how to upload them here. We will work on his leaning back.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Scottintexas, the wave looks like it's plenty to keep him on and that this is a matter of technique. He's crouching, which didn't have to be a bad thing necessarily, but I can tell that his center of gravity it shifted towards the back of the board. This is effectively putting on the brakes. Your center of gravity on the board is in your hips. If he stands more upright even if he's holding the rope and practices moving his hips forward over his front leg and back he'll feel the push if the wave change. In essence you need to be front for heavy to continually "fall down" the face if the wave.

cgcaraway

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Scottintexas, the wave looks like it's plenty to keep him on and that this is a matter of technique. He's crouching, which didn't have to be a bad thing necessarily, but I can tell that his center of gravity it shifted towards the back of the board. This is effectively putting on the brakes. Your center of gravity on the board is in your hips. If he stands more upright even if he's holding the rope and practices moving his hips forward over his front leg and back he'll feel the push if the wave change. In essence you need to be front for heavy to continually "fall down" the face if the wave.
Thank you, we will work on this. Greatly appreciate the feedback.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What board are you using?
If you're interested in a discount code on a Slingshot Coaster know me know and I'll send you a discount code.

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you're interested in a discount code on a Slingshot Coaster know me know and I'll send you a discount code.
I am as well!
What size do you recommend? It will be for me and my two younger sons. ( 12 & 9 ) What weight, the coaster or coaster XR?

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This might not be the thread to post this in, but there is a lot of activity and knowledge on this thread. I have a 242 Limited SE. I have the Gantlin transom bag and a 700-800 lb bag, not totally sure but I put in the center of the boat with the Wakebooster. Pocket is small but surfable and still messing with the bags and weight. I think one of my biggest problems is I cannot for the life of me get the boat to go faster than 9 MPH. Dealer said all the motors and pumps are fine. I see people loading way more weight in their boat than I have. Is there something wrong with the weight distribution or is there something else that could be wrong? Please advise,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try putting 1-200 lbs forward

My last sesdion i had to keep 2 people in the bow otherwise i was redline at 10mph

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I got ropeless every session today. Wave is still smaller than a surf boat, but it’s still super fun. I’m currently trying to figure out how to lay more ballast into the boat when it’s just the three of us. It’s insane how much deep water makes a difference - today I could see (super clear water) when we got into 10’ pockets vs the 60’ of normal water and the pocket instantly gets smaller with less push.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This might not be the thread to post this in, but there is a lot of activity and knowledge on this thread. I have a 242 Limited SE. I have the Gantlin transom bag and a 700-800 lb bag, not totally sure but I put in the center of the boat with the Wakebooster. Pocket is small but surfable and still messing with the bags and weight. I think one of my biggest problems is I cannot for the life of me get the boat to go faster than 9 MPH. Dealer said all the motors and pumps are fine. I see people loading way more weight in their boat than I have. Is there something wrong with the weight distribution or is there something else that could be wrong? Please advise,
Hey @Fozzy, I'm a neighbor from Utah County. I might be able to offer some advice. I had a similar issue the first time I filled the transom bag on my AR240. 9mph isn't really enough sorry to really form the wave. As @Scottintexas suggested adding weight towards front will counter balance the extra weight in the rear, bring the nose down, and help the boat get up to speed. Are you running any weight in the bow?

In fact it's kind of an exponential equation. The extra weight in the rear increase your ability to run additional weight in the bow exponentially increasing your overall displacement.

The 24 ft bag is 850lbs. Most are are running the bag all the way to the surf side vs in the middle, are you trading sides with your booster? Your wave will definitely be better if you can get the boost to list to the surf side. It creates a bigger hole on one side accentuating it.

A couple other questions. What are you seeing for max RPM? Our elevation really has a negative effect in engine performance. It's possible you could be experiencing some decreased engine perfomance. If I could recommend one upgrade to you that would help your boat's performance and its ability to handle additional ballast it would be to swap your impellers.

My boat is set up with 500lb bags under each ear seat, a 900lb bag in the ski locker and then the 850lb swim deck bag. It did fine with the 3 integrated bags, but the extra bag caused more of a struggle. I could tell there was more cavitation. To start, I had the full swim deck bag, 250lbs under the surf side seat, ~750 in the ski locker and was able to get up to speed alright and the wave was decent, but the boat was pretty tapped out. After some research, I decided to purchase some 6CW impellers thru Impros and had them pitch them for elevation. The 6CW impellers area the OEM impellers for the AR/SX 190 models. They gave the most overlap if the blades for better traction and decreased cavitation. They have honestly been one of the best upgrades I made. I gained 700RPM, and improved performance across the range, including its ability to haul ballast. I can now run up to 2,250lbs of ballast at 13mph and the wave is amazing. Anyway, I hope this helps. Message me if you have questions. Hopefully it makes some sense, I've been dosing off as I've been typing...

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
J-RAD,
thanks for your reply. I am not putting any weight in the bow. South Vally Motorsports did install the high altitudes impellers. I am not sure how they will compare to the aftermarket ones you have. It runs around 6000-6300 RPM's Trying to surf. Hits the rev limiter at 40-42 MPH if the water is smooth enough to let you get there. My wife has the ski locker filled with tubes and FAD,s. I put the big bag on the floor between the captain chairs. i will pick up a couple smaller bags and put one in the front and see what happens. thanks again.

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First time out for me this year. We’ve been dialing in the wave to really try to get a longer pocket. Setup was full Gantlin bag surf side, full center locker (800#), wake booster, hyper lite 5.9 board. I’m 205#. 4 humans on board. Moved one to the bow, which actually helped quite a bit.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No worries, and appreciate the feedback. I have a couple of videos but can't seem to figure out how to upload them here. We will work on his leaning back.
FYI videos have to go to a video sharing site like YouTube, then just post the url here. It will auto embed the YouTube video into the thread.

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've been chronicling this in my build thread but here's the best I've gotten out of my FSH.

Wake booster
600 lb bag between bow seats
800 lb bag behind cooler
800 lb bag left of helm
7 adults

I've gotten a similar wake from less weight as well. Continuing to mess with placement. Next time out I'm going to weight the port side heavily to get lots of list and see how it feels.