• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think (hope) I did my last changes to the ballast plumbing today!
- I have added (replumbed/reconnected) my rear storage compartment bag, it's the same long 800lbs SUMO as the center locker.

I also installed and calibrated all the WakeMakers timers!

This gives us better wave when it's just Kate and I, and she's driving. With no passengers the corner of the swim deck is not quite submerged with just her in the boat, so we can use little extra, lol. It works fantastic!

Otherwise, if we have passengers - center locker and transom bag only is enough.
Having rerouted one hose/connection, the transom bag now is filled by "only" two reversible johnson pumps (each with a dedicated intake and no splitters). It's fast enough though, and gives us additional flexibility if needed to move the transom bag to the goofy side as those two hoses are long enough.

Here is the properly ballasted Yammie (transom bag, center locker, and rear storage - one one person in the boat) - ready to generate a beautiful wave, still with only 5min fill times.
IMG_1331.JPGIMG_1330.JPGIMG_1332.JPG

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^this works!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1080p

--

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Had a great weekend with even better friends (@jcyamaharider @jcyamahariders wife @RampRage @scot71), and might be starting to get this "surfing thing" figured out. First nice good ropeless run for me behind the Yamaha.

Here's a 350lb dude ropeless behind a Yamaha 242X.

Edit to include some setup info:
- Gantlin transom ballast bag
- Gantlin Wake Wedge
- Port bag @ 75%
- Center locker bag @ 100%
- 150lbs of kids in bow
- 500lbs of driver and 2 passengers (1 in each rear corner)

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 that is amazing so sad we went home sunday we could have witnessed this ! Super proud moment glad you caught it on video ! Heckkkkkk yeah great way to end the season !
Thanks!! It was an awesome feeling! Can’t wait for next season.

Dropping the boat off yesterday at the dealership was very bittersweet, since it was a way better day than we had over the weekend. But, getting my warranty work done before the mad dash of people winterizing will be worth it. I’ll be able to get it home, polished up and put away before I have to wear gloves to do it. :)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks!! It was an awesome feeling! Can’t wait for next season.

Dropping the boat off yesterday at the dealership was very bittersweet, since it was a way better day than we had over the weekend. But, getting my warranty work done before the mad dash of people winterizing will be worth it. I’ll be able to get it home, polished up and put away before I have to wear gloves to do it. :)
Congratulations !
the moment you drop that rope and are just riding is a totally different feel,

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My crash reel from Sunday

Pulling 300's on the Butter Bar

And my attempted shuv on the final run... my wife thinks this is hilarious.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Had a great weekend with even better friends (@jcyamaharider @jcyamahariders wife @RampRage @scot71), and might be starting to get this "surfing thing" figured out. First nice good ropeless run for me behind the Yamaha.

Here's a 350lb dude ropeless behind a Yamaha 242X.

Edit to include some setup info:
- Gantlin transom ballast bag
- Gantlin Wake Wedge
- Port bag @ 75%
- Center locker bag @ 100%
- 150lbs of kids in bow
- 500lbs of driver and 2 passengers (1 in each rear corner)
That was a great run!!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the 360 attempt do you remove ALL fins from the board, or keep one on? Curious because I'm ready to crash/try!
Most here go with one - tail fin - for that.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the 360 attempt do you remove ALL fins from the board, or keep one on? Curious because I'm ready to crash/try!
I went with one or none. I went with one. None would be easier for tricks like the shuv.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After doing a lot of thinking about how to add some weight, when needed, that could be easily moved around. I came up with an idea. I considered just buying some bags of sand, but didn't want to deal with the bulk or the possible mess. Shot ballast was the most logical step, but they're more than I wanted to spend.

So here's what I came up with.
20190925_184837.jpg
20190925_170942.jpg
20190925_170636.jpg

The 6 bags only cost about $20 and a 50# bag of sand cost me less than $4. So, for less than $40.00 I'll have 180# of extra weight that can be easily moved around where needed.

I'm always looking for a cheaper alternative to accomplish what I need.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After doing a lot of thinking about how to add some weight, when needed, that could be easily moved around. I came up with an idea. I considered just buying some bags of sand, but didn't want to deal with the bulk or the possible mess. Shot ballast was the most logical step, but they're more than I wanted to spend.

So here's what I came up with.
View attachment 105780
View attachment 105781
View attachment 105782

The 6 bags only cost about $20 and a 50# bag of sand cost me less than $4. So, for less than $40.00 I'll have 180# of extra weight that can be easily moved around where needed.

I'm always looking for a cheaper alternative to accomplish what I need.
...and this won't rust, can be dumped it in the water, too.

--

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
whats your dialed setup?
Yamaha Wakebooster on surf side. 800lb 24' Swim Deck fat sac on surf side, 550lbs total surfide including passengers / ballast weight, 450lbs non surf side including passengers / ballast weight and 750lbs Fat Sac on the bow floor all the way forward. Rpm on Surf side should be closest to 6400 as possible, non surf side should be slightly higher closest to 6600 as possible at 10mph. Yields the wave you see at 18.5 GPH fuel consumption. I should also mention this includes battery bank weight on battery side and 40lbs of ice chest weight on the driver side under cockpit seat. Additionally we had a full tank of fuel to start, which was my wave and then finished with 65% when my wife was done surfing. Let me know if you have other questions, as we did extensive testing over a 5 week period before obtaining the wave you see above.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Holy crap 18.5 gph!!! That's a lot! Like over 3x the amount we see.

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy crap 18.5 gph!!! That's a lot! Like over 3x the amount we see.
Really not a fair comparison, you are in a boat that is literally designed for wake surf. I know a guy that has an Axis that burns around 19gph when he surfs with full ballast. I have a hard time believing you are only burning 6gph while surfing. Even while cruising around I still burn 8-10gph and that's around 20mph. So while I'm here to try to help others create an exceptional wave from a boat that wasn't designed for surfing, it sounds to me like you're here to brag about how awesome your Moomba is, a theme I have seen from you pretty consistently. We're happy for you - or at least I am. You found something that you love and that's great, but please stop comparing your apple to our orange, it's getting old.