• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have the wave pretty much dialed in. Today was a bit rough with lots of boats on the river, still pretty decent surfing.
Kate is pretty far out, someone called my phone and cut the movie off, lol, but she's getting ready to start doing some tricks:
1080p

--

Last edited:

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love it... what did you end up with for ballast weight and location?

Kooter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length

I know this was discussed a couple pages back but thought I would post this video since its on a jet ski. Interesting.

There is also a video of his daughter surfing that jet ski wave ropeless. I realize she weighs like 50lbs but still pretty cool.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love it... what did you end up with for ballast weight and location?
In the video clip above it is only the center locker and gantlin transom bag (both filled to capacity) and wedge. 10.7mph, about 6,000rpm, 6CW impellers (OEM, factory pitched for 190). Only two adults including surfer, and a child.

That is our current basic setup where any adult can go ropeless right away.

The water was pretty bad with a lot of other boats, a couple more passengers or an extra bag in the rear would be ideal. There is also some nuance as far as positioning the transom bag, pushing it few inches out over the platform edge can make a surprisingly big difference. But one needs to watch out not to overdo it as you do not want it to slide off when draining it out.

Same with the center ballast bag, I tend to push it fore a bit, the back of it is good ten inches forward of the rear wall/divider.

Adding one more bag in the rear surf-side storage compartment (if light load - like only a driver and a surfer, no extra human ballast) helps list the boat more and smooths operation cross wakes (with less bounce, ideally).

I’m currently filling the transom bag using 3 pumps which makes it ridiculously fast, I’m going to replumb the rear storage with one of those three - for use in rougher water under lighter passenger load like yesterday’s conditions.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This guy is at it again. He posted a video of surfing behind a Yamaha Waverunner.

1420486B-5516-413B-AF0B-BFE6BF077970.png

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This guy is at it again. He posted a video of surfing behind a Yamaha Waverunner.

View attachment 105240
The biggest thing I notice with these on the waverunner is that he put them more midship instead of toward the transom. I wonder if by doing that on our boats if it would help without effecting steering as much.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The biggest thing I notice with these on the waverunner is that he put them more midship instead of toward the transom. I wonder if by doing that on our boats if it would help without effecting steering as much.
Need to find someone near him to test.

Kooter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have sent him a couple of messages telling him to be active on this board. Also mentioned that delayed convergence devices haven't worked in the past for our boats, so we would all be skeptical until we saw proof, but if it does work this place would go bonkers buying them. No response yet.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no breaking news to report here,
21' transom bag
1100 lb bag in ski locker filled until I could close the hatch
homemade wake wedge

went out with my daughter for two hours last night,
what a pain to sit and fill those bags and not happy with wakemakers,
had one of my tsunami pumps burn up, called them about a replacement either $150. for a complete unit or $40. for the motor/housing, I chose the housing, they didn't tell me the old fat sac fitting wouldn't fit on the new housing (they changed housing fitting size), no problem I'll just swap the new motor to the old housing, easy enough but the shaft was shorter so it didn't get a good pump pressure I guess because it was only pumping half volume it appeared, ///////// edited for fixed pump in post #457 below ///// now I get to switch the housings back and go find an adapter coupling, that on top of I still have a bad taste in my mouth from their original sale of my bags/pump when they told me I could put my big bag in the ski locker (pump hose was 2' short to do that)

that said, with the new pump I bought a 12' hose to put the 1100lb bag In the ski locker, no idea how much it actually filled up but I had to stop it to be able to close the hatch,

having the big bag in the locker was nice to have it out of the way but my daughter and I could both tell a difference in the wave, it just wasn't the same,

next time we will add a 400lb bag on the rear surf side seat,

liking the new sling shot cobra cat, it's much more nimble than the LF fish,

at the end of the day, it was a good time and wish we could have stayed out another hour or two

Last edited:

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have sent him a couple of messages telling him to be active on this board. Also mentioned that delayed convergence devices haven't worked in the past for our boats, so we would all be skeptical until we saw proof, but if it does work this place would go bonkers buying them. No response yet.
The advantage on his product to be able to promise the results is these products already exist on the market today and they work on inboards. The product is basically the same as all the other suction cup wedges out there with the exception of his design is a cured wedge and he is placing 2 of them on one side instead of one. This is resulting in less ballast needed on the inboard boats so that is appealing to people.

There has been plenty of people including me/jerry that has tried this kind of item with no success. I think he is just playing it safe not to promise jetboaters something he will have to refund in the end.

Kooter

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The advantage on his product to be able to promise the results is these products already exist on the market today and they work on inboards. The product is basically the same as all the other suction cup wedges out there with the exception of his design is a cured wedge and he is placing 2 of them on one side instead of one. This is resulting in less ballast needed on the inboard boats so that is appealing to people.

There has been plenty of people including me/jerry that has tried this kind of item with no success. I think he is just playing it safe not to promise jetboaters something he will have to refund in the end.

I've tried the wedges also on both my 190 and my 242 with no success. His claim is that his system is absolutely not a wedge system but is doing something else...He calls it a foil in one of his patent videos.

I agree that the odds are it will do nothing for our boats but the wave behind that yamaha jet ski was pretty sweet. Jet skis certainly aren't inboards.

The wake wedge and transom bag is proven and great IF you get to surf 1 side. The second you have to start moving ballast bags and wedge sides these yamaha boats become more work than they are worth to surf. With a family of mixed surf sides and small kids we rarely surf due to the inconvenience of swithcing sides/ no ladder. Still holding out hope that one day it wont be such a hassle.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally got out last Saturday and did a little surfing behind my boat, only the second time so far, and had a blast.
Setup right now is 375# in ski locker, 400# under port seat about 3/4 full (not enough room to fill completely), and 800# bag diagonally situated on port corner of swim deck. I was also using my homemade wake wedge and running about 10 mph.
The wave was awesome for the other two that went with me but there definitely wasn't enough push for me, I'm about 100# heavier than either one of them. I've already consulted with @jcyamaharider and we've determined two things. Gonna need more weight and a faster board for me to get ropeless, or go on a crash diet. Frankly, the ballast and board might be more doable...lol.
I'm gonna try some sandbags first just to see what it needs then figure out my options from there.
Hopefully I'll get another time or two this year to play with it and figure things out.

My buddy Steve managed to go ropeless on only his 5th time on a board ever.

And our new friend Caleb went ropeless on his first time ever on a board.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've tried the wedges also on both my 190 and my 242 with no success. His claim is that his system is absolutely not a wedge system but is doing something else...He calls it a foil in one of his patent videos.

I agree that the odds are it will do nothing for our boats but the wave behind that yamaha jet ski was pretty sweet. Jet skis certainly aren't inboards.

The wake wedge and transom bag is proven and great IF you get to surf 1 side. The second you have to start moving ballast bags and wedge sides these yamaha boats become more work than they are worth to surf. With a family of mixed surf sides and small kids we rarely surf due to the inconvenience of swithcing sides/ no ladder. Still holding out hope that one day it wont be such a hassle.
@Kooter I wish switching sides and ballast was simple for the people that have to do it.

If his product works better than all the other suction cup wedges on the market then good for him he started this all because he wasn't satisfied with the wake his supra had. All of us on the jetboats have the same issue but now there are 3 options out there and will be more to come I am sure. If you want to know if it works on jetboats just buy his product and test it out simple as that. I remember in the first couple years of the wake wedge of all the skeptical people that took a chance and bought the product.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Need to find someone near him to test.
He lives not too far from me and boats on the same waters I do at times. There are plenty of jetboats on those lakes to test as well.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
went out with my daughter for two hours last night,
what a pain to sit and fill those bags and not happy with wakemakers,
had one of my tsunami pumps burn up, called them about a replacement either $150. for a complete unit or $40. for the motor/housing, I chose the housing, they didn't tell me the old fat sac fitting wouldn't fit on the new housing (they changed housing fitting size), no problem I'll just swap the new motor to the old housing, easy enough but the shaft was shorter so it didn't get a good pump pressure I guess because it was only pumping half volume it appeared, now I get to switch the housings back and go find an adapter coupling, that on top of I still have a bad taste in my mouth from their original sale of my bags/pump when they told me I could put my big bag in the ski locker (pump hose was 2' short to do that)
so just an update,
Wakemakers generously contributes hundreds of dollars worth of give aways to members at the Shelbyville event, that's why I don't really shop around and just call them and on my replacement pump and hose order even though I chose USPS delivery (it's the cheapest) I received my order in 2 days,

I'm cheap and it's cost me a lot of money over the years, when my replacement Tsunami didn't work correctly I just decided it was a small price to pay to order another from wakemakers, called them again, advised ordered wrong part just want the correct one, their first comment was to buy the wrong one again because on their website said "recommended for filling", we discussed it more and finally settled on what I believed was the correct one to buy, gave him my card and 2nd replacement pump is on the way,

get home yesterday and decide to try to measure the pump housings to see actual differences, after breaking out the caliper and only notice mm difference (easily could have been my measuring technique) I put the new pump back in it's original housing and the distance to the impeller looked the same as installed on the old housing.

took it outside to a 5 gallon bucket hooked it up, water pushed about half way up the hose but not enough to force it out, took the pump out of the bucket while still spinning and noticed it looked like it was spitting water out the inlet,

I remembered my riding lawnmower starter bendix is centrifugal and if you hook the wires up wrong it spins the starter the wrong way and forces the bendix down instead of up and out,

I had to hook a new cigarette lighter up to the new pump (only came with bare end wire), I reversed the wire connections and it pumped the 5 gallon bucket dry in seconds,

When I originally hooked up the cig. lighter I tested on my work bench without water, I heard the whine of the impeller and called it good,

How it eventually filled the ski locker bag with the impeller spinning reverse I don't even know but the next time out will be smoother,

now I'll have a spare Tsunami

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so just an update,
Wakemakers generously contributes hundreds of dollars worth of give aways to members at the Shelbyville event, that's why I don't really shop around and just call them and on my replacement pump and hose order even though I chose USPS delivery (it's the cheapest) I received my order in 2 days,

I'm cheap and it's cost me a lot of money over the years, when my replacement Tsunami didn't work correctly I just decided it was a small price to pay to order another from wakemakers, called them again, advised ordered wrong part just want the correct one, their first comment was to buy the wrong one again because on their website said "recommended for filling", we discussed it more and finally settled on what I believed was the correct one to buy, gave him my card and 2nd replacement pump is on the way,

get home yesterday and decide to try to measure the pump housings to see actual differences, after breaking out the caliper and only notice mm difference (easily could have been my measuring technique) I put the new pump back in it's original housing and the distance to the impeller looked the same as installed on the old housing.

took it outside to a 5 gallon bucket hooked it up, water pushed about half way up the hose but not enough to force it out, took the pump out of the bucket while still spinning and noticed it looked like it was spitting water out the inlet,

I remembered my riding lawnmower starter bendix is centrifugal and if you hook the wires up wrong it spins the starter the wrong way and forces the bendix down instead of up and out,

I had to hook a new cigarette lighter up to the new pump (only came with bare end wire), I reversed the wire connections and it pumped the 5 gallon bucket dry in seconds,

When I originally hooked up the cig. lighter I tested on my work bench without water, I heard the whine of the impeller and called it good,

How it eventually filled the ski locker bag with the impeller spinning reverse I don't even know but the next time out will be smoother,

now I'll have a spare Tsunami
Love this post. If I am being totally honest with myself, I would not have had the brain power to figure out what I had done wrong and that's assuming I would have even tried tackling the swap in the first place (probability virtually zero). Congrats it sounds like you have twice the pumping power and will have no issue being set up to surf in a matter of a few minutes. Cheers!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have the wave pretty much dialed in. Today was a bit rough with lots of boats on the river, still pretty decent surfing.
Kate is pretty far out, someone called my phone and cut the movie off, lol, but she's getting ready to start doing some tricks:
1080p

--
We were comparing the Slingshot (Coaster 5'3") and the H/L Shim (4'7"), what a difference!
This is the Shim, so much quicker (and I can barely ride it, lol).

1080p

--

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were comparing the Slingshot (Coaster 5'3") and the H/L Shim (4'7"), what a difference!
This is the Shim, so much quicker (and I can barely ride it, lol).

1080p

--
Road the shim 5' something can't remember but yeah, really twitchy... if you're looking for a board that is more fun than the Coaster, I had a blast on the Doomswell Nubstep 4'8" board, Sold the Coaster and now I'm looking for a good deal on a 4'8 or 5'0 Doomswell