• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So next you'll want to work on very slow movements to stay in the pocket. Don't worry about making turns yet. The best way to try this is to pretend like the board is on a basketball and you have to stay balanced on it. These small movements will keep you from shooting towards the boat. I can keep giving you progression points I've used until you surpass me.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Alright, It's not my video and It's not my wake but how cool would it be to see these guys/gals surfing behind your boat. They are definetly having fun.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm finally part of the actual surfing (ropeless) group lol! I wiped out a lot like this Disappearing man trick :D....

View attachment 104249

.....but once I squared my shoulders to the boat instead of the the face of the wave I found the push and it was like a rocket shooting me to the swim deck. Put the 750 bag in the midship locker surf side and the Max woke right up!

View attachment 104246

View attachment 104247

That moment when it just clicks and you finally toss the rope....

View attachment 104245

....And we are surfing!!

View attachment 104248

I fell shortly after from being worn out from about 10 try runs before and wiping out but man it felt sooooo good to finally drop that rope. I still have a long ways to go but practice pays off!
A buddy of mine and I have been going out every Tuesday for the past few weeks to figure this thing out. We have the ballast and the wake, but we just can't go ropeless. How fast are you going? I'm 160 and my buddy is 250. Does weight make a difference in the speed that we need to take? We go about 11 MPH.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have pictures of the wake?
You may to slow speed down a little to a low 10 number
What’s your ballast setup?

What type of board are you on? Makes a HUGE difference.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Thanks for replying! I have the Phase Five Ahi, which we haven't tried yet but will tomorrow. We've been using his board, and I don't know what that is. It's considerably larger and less expensive though. His was around $250.00. Mine is $900'ish. He has the new wake thrusters. We've tried 500 LBs on the deck and then added 500 on the locker. We don't think it's a ballast issue because the wake seems to be the same. Wondering if it's the board, the speed or the technique. We're using a 24 ft. rope. Sorry, no pics.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Board is a huge factor but so is technique. I have a friend who goes with me almost always last 2 years barely goes ropeless. Another friend same time can go ropeless as long as he wants. Both use my boards. I don't agree with going slower. Id actually go faster. But about 11 doesn't really work with surfing. You need to be exact. PP or something of that nature is a must. It's so hard to get the consistency you need to keep the push. A video will help best to see what's going on, but I know of a few things. First your prob on your back foot way too much. Also your prob too stiff and don't bend your knees enough. Every beginner has these issues. It seems like some on here have Def figured out the set up for going ropeless on your boat. Get on their set up then it's up to your to put in the work. It took me about 4 actual months and that's after a lifetime of being on boards.

Edit: your phase 5 is fine and fast enough for sure. Your rope is way too long. 16-18ft is really the money spot. You don't want a lot slack. That's not the point of a wakesurf rope.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

I have the Phase Five Ahi, which we haven't tried yet but will tomorrow. We've been using his board, and I don't know what that is. It's considerable larger and less expensive though. His was around $250.00. Mine is $900'ish. He has the new wake thrusters. We've tried 500 LBs on the deck and then added 500 on the locker. We don't think it's a ballast issue because the wake seems to be the same. Wondering if it's the board, the speed or the technique. We're using
Board is a huge factor but so is technique. I have a friend who goes with me almost always last 2 years barely goes ropeless. Another friend same time can go ropeless as long as he wants. Both use my boards. I don't agree with going slower. Id actually go faster. But about 11 doesn't really work with surfing. You need to be exact. PP or something of that nature is a must. It's so hard to get the consistency you need to keep the push. A video will help best to see what's going on, but I know of a few things. First your prob on your back foot way too much. Also your prob too stiff and don't bend your knees enough. Every beginner has these issues. It seems like some on here have Def figured out the set up for going ropeless on your boat. Get on their set up then it's up to your to put in the work. It took me about 4 actual months and that's after a lifetime of being on boards.

Edit: your phase 5 is fine and fast enough for sure. Your rope is way too long. 16-18ft is really the money spot. You don't want a lot slack. That's not the point of a wakesurf rope.
We have a third person going tomorrow so maybe can get some video. What do you mean by "PP or something of that nature" in terms of speed? I'm sure you're right about being stiff. We're both up there in years. Do we need to keep working the board left and right or just try to find the sweet spot in terms of distance from the boat for a push?

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I have the Phase Five Ahi, which we haven't tried yet but will tomorrow. We've been using his board, and I don't know what that is. It's considerable larger and less expensive though. His was around $250.00. Mine is $900'ish. He has the new wake thrusters. We've tried 500 LBs on the deck and then added 500 on the locker. We don't think it's a ballast issue because the wake seems to be the same. Wondering if it's the board, the speed or the technique. We're using

We have a third person going tomorrow so maybe can get some video. What do you mean by "PP or something of that nature" in terms of speed? I'm sure you're right about being stiff. We're both up there in years. Do we need to keep working the board left and right or just try to find the sweet spot in terms of distance from the boat for a push?
sorry it's perfect pass it's a cruise control of sorts. It allows you to dial in speeds at.1mph so we surf at 11.1-11.3 depending on wind not weight of rider. Don't try and carve it's fun but counter productive. Just find the push. Be able to stay there without the rope before trying to carve. You wouldn't be surfing if you were young lol. JK but it seems as we get older wakeboarding is just a no go lol.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
sorry it's perfect pass it's a cruise control of sorts. It allows you to dial in speeds at.1mph so we surf at 11.1-11.3 depending on wind not weight of rider. Don't try and carve it's fun but counter productive. Just find the push. Be able to stay there without the rope before trying to carve. You wouldn't be surfing if you were young lol. JK but it seems as we get older wakeboarding is just a no go lol.
Gotcha! Neither of us have the perfect pass, but maybe worth the investment for this situation. I appreciate your advice. I'm hoping my board will be the key ingredient. I'll post videos soon. Thanks!

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha! Neither of us have the perfect pass, but maybe worth the investment for this situation. I appreciate your advice. I'm hoping my board will be the key ingredient. I'll post videos soon. Thanks!
On an 18 240 we were able to go ropeless with 500 on surf side seat in cockpit and 500 on swim deck.

We were a mid 10mph range. Don’t have any cruise control so just get a close as we can.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You do need speed control, forget perfect pass, go with @Ridesteady.
If you have Wake Wedge and enough space to go in strait line you may be okay with a GPS speedo on your phone, but need decimals for accuracy.

Wake TVs may help or may make things worse, I don't think we know, do we?

The board matters, no doubt, but the wave with enough push is the key. Unless you are an expert and/or very light weight you need the push, period. In the pics below Kate uses a short Shim by H/L, Clair uses 5'3" Slingshot Coaster.

Some lighter surfers may not need all the push, but it does not hurt. I need something like that to go ropeless and can go almost as long as I care to, or until I start fooling around, lol.

This is a wave you can get behind a 240 Yamaha all day long with only the center locker bag, Gantiln transom bag, Gantlin wedge, and RideSteady, this Labor Day weekend:
(Courtesy @Rana, Clair - @Betik's lovely spouse, and Kate)

--

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Speed control is a luxury not a requirement just get an speed app for for phone. About 10.5MPH seems to be the sweet spot. I make a note of the RPM it takes to give me my desired speed and just advance the throttles to the required RPM for future runs. Spend your money on a wakewedge and a good board.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone seen this floating around Facebook? Apparently this guy has came up with a new surf product device, but he hasn’t showed what it is yet due the the patent process. I told him to test it on a Yamaha jet boat.

3933F943-888F-4B5B-97E9-E3E117E9E1CC.pngB27C2A40-5EFE-4ABA-B0F6-B061E3CE1958.png

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The dude has been blasting all over FB and I think has some people advertising for him. his "tech" is nothing more than stacking TWO ugly DIY wake shapers on the side of the hull. One towards the rear like most do it and one about midship. Considering how much drag my DIY suck gate made you can forget it on a jetboat. Made my 192 literally turn in circles and had to countersteer like a mofo just to go straight. He can prop his product up all he wants but let's be real, there's no science or anything innovative behind what he's doing that hasn't already been tried except for the fact he's using two wedges instead of one. Twice the drag....lol.

dude wants $400 for starboard and suction cups. FOUR HUNDRED DOLL-HAIRS FOR STARBOARD AND SUCTION CUPS! He wants YOU to pay him to be his R&D mule. The amount of used care salesman "tech talk" is annoying from his and his promotional crew. He's acting like this is some sort of fancy surf "system" (you will see him say system and tech a lot lol) but give me a break.

Big deal if he curves the face of the wedge with his CNC. That's not aluminum he's machining it's freakin' starboard!! Come on now. I think he's just going all over FB to catch people in to make a quick buck. My .02

You can see the two humps of spray coming from each of the suck gates. I love how he says you can run less ballast with his system as if that means his is more efficient when his "system" causes probably 3x the amount of drag a surf tab system would or hell even Malibu Surf Gate.

Bryan Thompson
11 hrs ·

So I am a bit, ok a lot, inundated with messages and requests. So here is the deal: For $400 you become part of a paid “research and development” group. We focus on all kinds of products that improve surf waves. The first product we will send you is the one you have been seeing videos of. We send you out a system - you use it - let us know how it works. We will still own the system - however, when we get our patent, you will receive a shiny new system, and you get to keep the one you used. You can thank the United States Patent and Trademark Office for this layer of craziness… but on the upside you will eventually get two - the second one will probably be way prettier.
The payment options are this:
@Bryan-Thompson- 101 - Venmo
BthompsonAU@me.com Paypal
I have a few systems left to ship tomorrow when I get back. I am making a new batch of 50 on Wednesday, but think I now need to set aside another day for another run. Send me the payment, I will get in touch with you tomorrow, and we will figure out when you need them, and when I can get them to you. #changeiscoming #surfmode #dumpthewater #becausescience

Last edited:

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I was thinking the same. Plus a product that works universally never works universally. What's the problem with using water anyhow?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The dude has been blasting all over FB and I think has some people advertising for him. his "tech" is nothing more than stacking TWO ugly DIY wake shapers on the side of the hull. One towards the rear like most do it and one about midship. Considering how much drag my DIY surf gate made you can forget it on a jetboat. Made my boat literally turn in circles and had to countersteer like a mofo just to go straight. He can prop his product up all he wants but let's be real, there's no science or anything innovative behind what he's doing that hasn't already been tried except for the fact he's using two wedges instead of one. Twice the drag....lol.

dude wants $400 for starboard and suction cups. FOUR HUNDRED DOLL-HAIRS FOR STARBOARD AND SUCTION CUPS! He wants YOU to pay him to be his R&D mule. The amount of used care salesman "tech talk" is annoying from his and his promotional crew. He's acting like this is some sort of fancy surf "system" (you will see him say system and tech a lot lol) but give ma break.

Bryan Thompson
11 hrs ·

So I am a bit, ok a lot, inundated with messages and requests. So here is the deal: For $400 you become part of a paid “research and development” group. We focus on all kinds of products that improve surf waves. The first product we will send you is the one you have been seeing videos of. We send you out a system - you use it - let us know how it works. We will still own the system - however, when we get our patent, you will receive a shiny new system, and you get to keep the one you used. You can thank the United States Patent and Trademark Office for this layer of craziness… but on the upside you will eventually get two - the second one will probably be way prettier.
The payment options are this:
@Bryan-Thompson- 101 - Venmo
BthompsonAU@me.com Paypal
I have a few systems left to ship tomorrow when I get back. I am making a new batch of 50 on Wednesday, but think I now need to set aside another day for another run. Send me the payment, I will get in touch with you tomorrow, and we will figure out when you need them, and when I can get them to you. #changeiscoming #surfmode #dumpthewater #becausescience

He's an Auburn guy. That explains it lol!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For a moment I thought “oh no, another teaser from JBP...”.

Lol

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
He sure is fast to get that payment sent. Those edges aren't even rounded and smooth. Yeah nobody is putting this on a newer tow boat, and this Def won't work on jetboats.