• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

250/252 Ride vs other 24- 25' boats?

ILCornFarmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Other
For those of you with riding experience on a 250 or 252 how does the boat ride in rougher conditions? How would you compare it to something like a Cobalt R5, or Cobalt 242/250? Yamaha 19" draft Cobalt or similar 30-38" draft. Maybe it doesn't make a difference? I don't know. Thanks for any input!

gthorson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
I don't think the ride is much different. The hull draft would be about the same (with some variation), the added depth on the other being the lower drive on the engine. I've been out in swells too large to open in up but never did I feel unsafe. I've been in medium swells where full throttle went great while smaller boats around me struggled. The trickiest part is that the jet boats need thrust to maneuver more than others, so dropping or losing power in rough water can go sideways, literally, quicker.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Are you looking at the draft of the Cobalt boat or the draft of the engine? Looking at the R4 on the Cobalt website, with the drive up it draws 19”, with the drive down it draws 36”. Thus, you would have the same amount of boat hull in the water with either the Yamaha or the Cobalt.

Jim

ILCornFarmer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Other
Even the newer ones are really loud?

I guess to be honest, I don't know if I'm comparing apples to apples when talking about the draft specs.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My lake gets choppy. The best thing I did was add lectrotab automatic trim tabs, this really smoothed out the ride and slamming.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ILCornFarmer Not sure about the newer hulls with the articulating keels, but the one thing I have noticed that isn’t really addressed in many post, is a prop boat with the deeper draft with the drive down has more “bit”, and will track straighter when dealing with other boats wakes. Depending on the size of the wake, and the angle you approach it, my 210 can be pushed a bit. By no means it is a concern, its just a different then a boat which has a outboard.

Also the other thing that has been pointed out in the past, the Yamaha’s typically have a shorter running service than a same sized Outboard. For example, the length of the 250/252 is 24’6”, but the running surface is probably ~18” shorter because the swim platform extends over the pumps/buckets.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yamaha advantage is the swim platform and acceleration. That said, they are louder and handling is not as good (tracking issues making aftermarket improvements very popular). If you are looking for the best ride possible in heavy chop, look for something else. I choose the 252SE because you just can’t beat the swim platform. I go offshore to Scuba, hop all around islands in the keys, and it gets me there safely, even in 2-3 chop, but it’s not the “best” boat in terms of handling and ride comfort.

Last edited:

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@ILCornFarmer Not sure about the newer hulls with the articulating keels, but the one thing I have noticed that isn’t really addressed in many post, is a prop boat with the deeper draft with the drive down has more “bit”, and will track straighter when dealing with other boats wakes. Depending on the size of the wake, and the angle you approach it, my 210 can be pushed a bit. By no means it is a concern, its just a different then a boat which has a outboard.

Also the other thing that has been pointed out in the past, the Yamaha’s typically have a shorter running service than a same sized Outboard. For example, the length of the 250/252 is 24’6”, but the running surface is probably ~18” shorter because the swim platform extends over the pumps/buckets.
Agreed 100%, even on the new boats.

satovod

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
any wake boat have better swim platform

literally any

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would also add price/value. Many of the outboard models I’m referring to, that may be superior in terms of handling, tracking, etc. but also have twin engines for the maneuverability tend to cost 100k+ over Yamaha.