• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252SE CJS and Trim Tabs

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don't need the Cobras on the Chaparral. The bucket design provides excellent steering capabilities at low speeds. This combined with iST and dialing in "true neutral" is awesome.

To answer your question, Definitely wouldn't hurt (especially when everyone or all the dogs (6) are sitting up front and lifting the stern some). And they would assist in coming off plane too. But, I've been doing fine without them.

I believe my sport tabs help (a little) in all these areas.
I believe the steering would be most effective is during water sport activities like tubes or water skiing as they would lock down the back of the boat and make those activities a lot easier on the driver also the fins are independent of the pumps so in the event of a loss of thrust like limp mode kicking in or weeds in the intake you still have control

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@swatski I believe this post shows that turn https://jetboaters.net/threads/mega-fangs-cobra-ak-power-steering-doughnuts-in-reverse.15877/ Now Everyone addresses life based on their own concept of their personal life experiences. I have 68 years of those and I wish I would have saved ALL the emails from very distraught jet boat owners who were so sorry they made that choice for only one reason THE DAMN LACK OF STEERING.
The normal response was if my steering system did not fix the problem they were going to sell the boat and they did not care how much money they lost.
I just had a customer call me and tell me they have a 2 year old Yamaha with 10 hours on it because they hate the way it steers now it has the rudder and keel but they don't like how it steers and are adding one of my systems to it so they can enjoy it. When I sent them the tracking number they said they were excited and hoped it changed their opinion of the boat.
Been there and done that, 20 years ago I was 48 years old and had boats since I was 14 years old I purchased a jet boat and in the first 30 seconds I was over it, I parked it on a trailer in my driveway and was going to sell it and did not care if I lost money on it because I hated it. And then I decided to make it steer or destroy it trying, and the rest is history.
I see people telling unhappy customers to just practice and I wonder what is wrong with them for a few hundred dollars that is refundable if you don't like it WHY NOT ?
It isn't new, I tell everyone to do their research , plenty of info out there 20 years of making jet boats steer and drivers smile , I was the first driver to smile because I loved that first jet boat after I made it steer properly. No one could tell me any different I would laugh at them. I just did my new p w c's and made them even better than the last 2 and I love how they turn on a dime and how stable they are that even with a bad hip I can drive them standing on the seat no hands . drive into the mangroves and turn 1 foot from them and go the other way shooting water up in the trees. I tell people to practice smiling, to practice looking around when they are in a no wake area and enjoy the view. It's a new boat and a new experience, or NOT if you are happy with mediocracy .
To each their own but I can promise you telling people it is a waste of time and money is really not doing them any favors and a have no doubt many people will agree with me on that.original jet boat prototype.jpg The first system I ever made on my jet boat 2 small rudders attached to the nozzle with 2 tie rods and as small as those were they made a huge difference ,that original design and more is shown in detail my first patent. 6561858

Last edited:

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After the purchase of the boat and dang excise tax when I title and register its going to be a little while before I upgrade the steering components, but hopefully not too long. I will be ordering an additional steering arm though. Thanks for all your information!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
To each their own but I can promise you telling people it is a waste of time and money is really not doing them any favors and a have no doubt many people will agree with me on that. The first system I ever made on my jet boat 2 small rudders attached to the nozzle with 2 tie rods and as small as those were they made a huge difference
I agree the fins were needed on the earlier models and BRP jets too, and I'm sure they help on the newer A/K models as well. I just don't feel I need the extra help after 20+ years of boating experience. I wouldn't tell anyone they're a "waste of money" without having first-hand experience, which I don't have, so I would never say that. I believe everyone has their own list of pros/cons and their own experiences to draw upon.

And while I don't feel the need for the fins, I did buy a second tie-rod for my boat from you - works great and feels much better than stock. Looks better too with a more balanced and "finished" appearance. Thanks again for that!
:thumbsup:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
After the purchase of the boat and dang excise tax when I title and register its going to be a little while before I upgrade the steering components, but hopefully not too long. I will be ordering an additional steering arm though. Thanks for all your information!
If you buy the mega kit, I think Jeff includes a second tie-rod in the kit as part of it. Might save you a few bucks if you buy the kit rather than pieces of it?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@212s sorry if I came out sounding snarky, probably means was posting for work...lol. You make excellent points, and I was merely meaning to provide counter-points, nothing else.
A lot of it with fins is about the feel, and we all like different things, anyway, I would say it is probably best to ride a new boat as is for a while, the only way to truly figure it out, I remember my first few outings, I was convinced the boat be for sale before a month's end, lol. I had the first year 190 model, not AK and so on.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well 20 years of happy customers says it all, it is like a stick shift on the column or an automatic transmission with over drive it all depends on what you like and the cost is negligible in comparison to the features offered, not just slow speed steering assistance but all time steering that automatically adjusts for the amount of influence needed for the speed of the boat and the second tie rod as well as the extra top fins , the plaining surface is also well received with a faster hole shot and a smoother ride in chop plus a cleaner wake for watersports and no increase in draft since the fin positions are above the rudder, lots of features and benefits for $489.99 and the admirals love driving the boat with the steering enhanced so that is worth a few thousand extra.

Last edited:

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
FWIW: I have a 2019 242 with the Articulating keel and new bucket style, not the 2021, but not that far off. We went a year without fins with the mindset of why would we need fins, we have a rudder... It’s fine at speed, but at no wake you’re constantly steering, it’s not fun. I ordered the full kit from @Cobra Jet Steering LLC and it made a huge difference. As many have said, you can definitely do without it, but it’s a huge upgrade.

I also added the lectrotab trim tabs, not being able to adjust trim is one area where unfortunately our boats are at a disadvantage vs literally every other type of engine. If you have any type of waves where you boat, this will also be a huge difference maker.

I’ve captained many different types of boat from small to large, I know the advantages and disadvantages of our boats, and IMHO both of these upgrades make a huge difference in fixing the disadvantages.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you buy the mega kit, I think Jeff includes a second tie-rod in the kit as part of it. Might save you a few bucks if you buy the kit rather than pieces of it?
Yes ALL the " TWIN ENGINE" systems both Super Ultimate and Super Magnum that say AK or AK-19 in the name come with the second tie rod from the base model to the deluxe model.

blamphere

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Well as promised, here she is. Had a good look around her after she just arrived from TN. The next 10 weeks until it’s water time here are going to go slow!

Attachments

DonnyC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Well as promised, here she is. Had a good look around her after she just arrived from TN. The next 10 weeks until it’s water time here are going to go slow!
That's a beautiful boat - congrats!

Navalaviator08

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I went with Bennett trim tabs on both the Yami and the Chap and the Cobras on the Yami (don't really need'em on the Chap). I wish trim tabs were standard on all boats. They help with getting on plane, balancing out the boat (should everyone sit on one side) and of course with chop. The Bennett (sport) tabs sides are folded over which helps with stability. The main point is to feel safe and having a good time on the water.
Hi. What model Bennett trim tabs did you install on your Yamaha? I recently bought Bennett 12x12 space limited tabs and they do not fit. I want to make sure I’m getting the right size and model so I don’t make the same mistake twice. Thanks!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi. What model Bennett trim tabs did you install on your Yamaha? I recently bought Bennett 12x12 space limited tabs and they do not fit. I want to make sure I’m getting the right size and model so I don’t make the same mistake twice. Thanks!
I got these for the SX-192. I like the fold down tabs that add a little "bite" (anything helps). I remember I had to make up a block for the piston to seat properly to the swim platform.

1649862308439.png