• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255xd subwoofer idea, what ya think?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So ive added a bazooka 10" powered sub under my my helm. It def added missing bass that the single 10" wetsounds stock on the boat detuned doesnt provide. Issue is we spend most of the time on the back of the boat, and well the bass is lacking even with the added sub. It just doesnt travel like you expect it. My idea is the compartment where the cleanout ports are. I can fit 2 8" Free Air Wetsounds Revos subs there one each side obviously. This would give me the lower end localized to where we are hanging out.

Attachments

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Won’t speakers in that compartment just vibrate the hatch unless you cut vents into it?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Won’t speakers in that compartment just vibrate the hatch unless you cut vents into it?
I have the hatch latches adj pretty tight to where it actually seal and keeps a good amount of the typical water out, and theres a gasket on the hatch also. Hatch shouldnt vibrate.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This just seems like a bad idea to me.

#1: The drain areas under the speaker will prevent a perfect seal, making IB impact much less. Adding to this, it will allow water into the hull.
#2. Those speakers will see a ton of water.
#3. The sound will be extremely muffled.

If you want more bass, I would replace the 6.5" swim deck speakers with 6.5" subwoofers. Since you have towers and a sound bar, getting sound out back shouldn't be an issue. People usually block those speakers anyways.

Another option would be to replace and upgrade the factory woofer.

If you were to do this, I would create an entire new shelf out of 1/2" PVC board.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This just seems like a bad idea to me.

#1: The drain areas under the speaker will prevent a perfect seal, making IB impact much less. Adding to this, it will allow water into the hull.
#2. Those speakers will see a ton of water.
#3. The sound will be extremely muffled.

If you want more bass, I would replace the 6.5" swim deck speakers with 6.5" subwoofers. Since you have towers and a sound bar, getting sound out back shouldn't be an issue. People usually block those speakers anyways.

Another option would be to replace and upgrade the factory woofer.

If you were to do this, I would create an entire new shelf out of 1/2" PVC board.
Surprisingly since putting my new latches on after i broke the set from the clean out port fiasco, this area has stayed relatively dry. Whats funny is they never sealed the plastic drain pan to the cutout, I tested this by pouring water back there and watch it enter the hull between the plastic and the boat. So i have to pull it anyway to correct that (not going back to dealer, im over that and the warranty experience until something real important comes up)

I was going to seal the subs to the plastic, either bed them in 4100, or was thinking making 1/2 riser plate and seal that the the plastic then the sub pinned to that. Once sealed to the plate it should use the entire back as its enclosure. I dont need crazy bass from them, just enough to tickle your butthole when you sit in the stadium seating lol. Im still mulling it over. The installed depth is 4" with the grill, so roughly 3.75" will be below the plastic. I already measured, theres room. The bazooka tube with built in amp i have can power these ran in series will net 2.6 ohm. Cant run both in parallel as it would be 1 ohm possibly less. Right now with the passive tube being powered, in addition to the powered sub its 2ohm current.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Powering them with the bazooka tube amp makes me like this idea even less than before (which was not at all lol).

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my honest opinion this sounds like a very very bad idea. Alot of work for very little pay off. If anything put a pair of 8" in a small box one on each side in the back storage seats.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replaced the 6.5” speakers on the swim deck with 8” speakers and a dedicated amp last season and the bass they produced was great. The areas behind those speakers acted like a speaker box. Just another alternative to consider.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Powering them with the bazooka tube amp makes me like this idea even less than before (which was not at all lol).
well i dont really feel like buying another amp off the get go and would test the waters powered by this. I have no problem spending the money, but if this could fill the void, with lower cost i wanted to at least try.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
In my honest opinion this sounds like a very very bad idea. Alot of work for very little pay off. If anything put a pair of 8" in a small box one on each side in the back storage seats.
Seats already have shit in them, bad enough storage space is a premium on this boat.

I have to pull the plate anyway to seal as its currently not from yamaha.

Cut 2 7.15" holes, either flush mount or small riser the subs. Wiring would be simple as all i need to do is run the wires from the tube outputs.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I wouldn't do it. Your speakers will have water and sand constantly on them - even premium speakers from WS or JL will break down quickly in that kind of environment.

Lots of guys are placing subs by the diver/passenger helm chairs. There seems to be ample room there. Or you can do what I did and have a custom ported box made and stick it in the driver's helm area. Takes up a little space, but you can still stack stuff on top of it.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I wouldn't do it. Your speakers will have water and sand constantly on them - even premium speakers from WS or JL will break down quickly in that kind of environment.

Lots of guys are placing subs by the diver/passenger helm chairs. There seems to be ample room there. Or you can do what I did and have a custom ported box made and stick it in the driver's helm area. Takes up a little space, but you can still stack stuff on top of it.
i have the bazooka tube/amp under the helm. Its plenty of bass midship and bow. Very happy with the sound in those areas. Its just the back of the boat is lacking as the lower frequency's arent making it back there.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Seats already have shit in them, bad enough storage space is a premium on this boat.

I have to pull the plate anyway to seal as its currently not from yamaha.

Cut 2 7.15" holes, either flush mount or small riser the subs. Wiring would be simple as all i need to do is run the wires from the tube outputs.
Your going to end up disappointed with two more holes in your boat.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Your going to end up disappointed with two more holes in your boat.
lol, i get it. I just looked up the plastic piece to replace if it fails. 150 bux. Hmm.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
lol, i get it. I just looked up the plastic piece to replace if it fails. 150 bux. Hmm.
If you have a router, it should be easy to build your own, instead of cutting up this one.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
i have the bazooka tube/amp under the helm. Its plenty of bass midship and bow. Very happy with the sound in those areas. Its just the back of the boat is lacking as the lower frequency's arent making it back there.
I would hang some speakers from the tower then, if you're looking for more backwards sound. Some REV10s or JL 8.8s. JL's especially have very nice tone. Otherwise, it sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind, not sure why you even asked. Get cutting!

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I would hang some speakers from the tower then, if you're looking for more backwards sound. Some REV10s or JL 8.8s. JL's especially have very nice tone. Otherwise, it sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind, not sure why you even asked. Get cutting!
i have no problem with the volume, its the frequency that missing. If i turn it up, between the sound bar and the tower speakers and the 2 6.5 in the back its plenty loud. Its just flat sounding. No bass. All the bass is in the mid to front of the boat.

Mind aint made up, just always wonder on ideas if they would work thats all. Wasnt sure if someone has ever tried similar.

Not sure if building my own is in the cards as the clean out port tubes rubber bellows gets clamped to this white plastic plate.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Could always move up to 7.7's or even 8.8's. Its hard to get bass out of a boat. Even those of us with 14+ speakers 3 or 4 amps only get so much bass out. Things flex and steals the bass. You will go broke trying get a boat to have the same bass as a car.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Could always move up to 7.7's or even 8.8's. Its hard to get bass out of a boat. Even those of us with 14+ speakers 3 or 4 amps only get so much bass out. Things flex and steals the bass. You will go broke trying get a boat to have the same bass as a car.
Yeah thats what im realizing, everything in the boat absorbs the lower frequency. My whole point was to localize the subs to where i was sitting so you could at least feel it sitting in the back in the stadium seating.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yeah thats what im realizing, everything in the boat absorbs the lower frequency. My whole point was to localize the subs to where i was sitting so you could at least feel it sitting in the back in the stadium seating.
Upgrade the factory sub with a JL M7 and dedicated amp. Not cheap but effective.