• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255XD throttle issue

DaveShip55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick question, I have a new 2022 255XD and every now and then when I go to throttle up, it seems to have a throttle’limiter’? I’ll only go to about 5000 RPM (on both engines) and tops out at about 15 mph. If I keep pushing the throttles, nuth’n happens…. Stays at 5000 RPM….
If stop, turn the engines off, turn the key off, then try again….. most of the time it goes back to normal. Has to be something stupid, maybe something I’m causing?
Any ideas what might be causing this?
Thanks! Dave

Is this right after you finish surfing? I find that even when I cancel the surfing watersports profile when we finish that sometimes the speed control stays locked on. I usually select a profile and cancel it again to get it operating normally again.

It’s a safe mode usually triggered by putting the engines into forward to quick after starting. The system has to verify if the surf gates are all the way up. It sometimes takes about 10 seconds. If it couldn’t complete the check it will limit speed to 15 mph. Usually you can clear the safe mode by shifting to reverse for a few seconds or turning off and on the engines.

Thanks, that’s describes it exactly…. But it happens randomly, like maybe 1 out of 10 starts. I’ve never used the surfing/wake sports settings yet, so it’s happening during regular use. But that’s exactly what’s happening, I start both engines after floating for a few minutes….. then as I throttle up, everything seems normal until I get to a hair above 5000 RPM (about 15mph), then I feel something kick in, and it the limits it to the 5000 RPM, and that’s it…. No more throttle response from that point on….. I then throttle back, shut down both motors, turn the key off (not really sure if I have to do that or not)…. Then start over again, and usually it’s fine after that…. A few time I’ve had to do that process a few times before it fixes itself. Just seems very strange and random.

my MR-1's do this once in a while... only after a cold or warm start if I don't get the engines warmed up enough... i get limited to 6000 RPM so usually I just run about 3000 RPM for a couple minutes and then all is well. Very rarely I have to stop one of the engines and restart and its fine. I am pretty careful about warm up and cool down operations... its never happened to both engines at the same time. the ECU monitors water temp... I (maybe falsely) attribute it to the ECU not allowing full throttle until a specific engine temp threshold...

So I just got a 2023 Yamaha 255XD.

Today was our third time out on Lake Michigan with it.

Boated up the shore and floated for a few hours while the kids were swimming.

On the way back to the harbor we were cruising along about 30 miles per hour, roughly 5600 RPM when the engine seem to just shut off.

Basically we lost power. The boat slowed so I throttled down at that time the screen had booted back up and my blower timer was on.

I noticed as I throttle back up to head back to the harbor that we were limited to 5000 RPMs no matter what I did with the throttle. I could bury it all the way forward and it would still stay at 5000 RPMs.

I called the dealership on the way home and they said they had not heard of this problem before and that they were going to reach out to Yamaha.

The boat is brand new gas in it from the dealership with no modifications and no rough driving.

If the screen went out. It sounds like you have a loose ground wire/ or power wire. There are like 4 buss bars in the engine bay on the on the white wall that separates battery compartment from engine bay.

Thanks, that’s describes it exactly…. But it happens randomly, like maybe 1 out of 10 starts. I’ve never used the surfing/wake sports settings yet, so it’s happening during regular use. But that’s exactly what’s happening, I start both engines after floating for a few minutes….. then as I throttle up, everything seems normal until I get to a hair above 5000 RPM (about 15mph), then I feel something kick in, and it the limits it to the 5000 RPM, and that’s it…. No more throttle response from that point on….. I then throttle back, shut down both motors, turn the key off (not really sure if I have to do that or not)…. Then start over again, and usually it’s fine after that…. A few time I’ve had to do that process a few times before it fixes itself. Just seems very strange and random.

Having exactly the same issue on my 2023. Did you find out what the problem is, or better yet, a solution for this issue?

Have a 23 255xd. This is what I’ve found and that works for me. Everytime I stop / idle / turn engines off to get tubing / surfing ect situated ….. right before I take off - I do a quick .5 sec reverse on both engines and then I throttle up as normal. Seems to re set something - never had an issue when doing that. If I don’t do the reverse - I find what’s stated above will happen a few times and outing - which I then stop - quick reverse then I’m on my way.

Having exactly the same issue on my 2023. Did you find out what the problem is, or better yet, a solution for this issue?
It’s funny, after having the boat now for a few seasons. I’ve learned to be more patient when throttling up after starting the motors, and it hasn’t happened as often. But now when it happens, (happened once on my last outing), I just put it back in neutral, left if there for maybe 20-30 seconds, then powered up like normal.
I do thinks it’s what others said, it must be some sort of system/safety thing…. And doesn’t like the throttles advancing prior to doing some behind the scenes testing?……. But to be honest, I really have no idea why it does it for sure…. Lol!

Glad you have figured out a fix action. When I was speaking to this issue when I purchased my boat a couple weeks ago, I was told, that when you have left the for a bit, but the aux or electronics still on, give the boat about 30sec to reset its computer before resuming your ride. I haven't had any issues just yet. Happy Boating!

Back