• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

25k to 30k to spend. What would you buy?

Coolbreeze704

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So I have a 2022 AR195 on order. Total is 45,600 with all charges considered. Who knows if I ever see it and honestly I know in the business I am in (manufactured housing) labor shortages and supply chain issues are leading to build quality issues.

I am starting to learn more about these jet boats from the great contributors on this site. Looks more and more like these engines go and go and go and older model years with 200 plus hours are not a concern if they are well kept and serviced properly.

With that I am starting to consider used. At first I wanted to look for 2019 and newer to buy one with the new hull design and other upgrades added in 19. I am starting to reconsider just how important that is to me. I have read many threads on the build quality issues on newer models and it make sense given my experience in manufactured homes recently.

With that you have 25k to spend.
You will have 4 to 6 max adults and 1 child on the boat.
You will do watersports and possibly try surfing
You enjoy the lake and will cruise and enjoy the sun
Boat will be kept 5 years. (Retiring and will sell home)
Will tie boat up on a seawall on weekends in back of narrow shallow cove on my property. Average water depth under jets will be 24"
May consider trailering to other lakes for some fun elsewhere

What model year and why?
What model and why?
What am I missing I should be considering?

With that you have 25k to spend. That's tough in today's market wanting 2019 or newer
You will have 4 to 6 max adults and 1 child on the boat. 19ft jet boat going to be tight, 6 adult and 1 child would have been tight on my 210.
Will tie boat up on a seawall on weekends in back of narrow shallow cove on my property. Average water depth under jets will be 24" Sound like you have a place on a lake but no lift, might want to consider outboard as this boat will be stored in the water a lot.
May consider trailering to other lakes for some fun elsewhere. Realistically all lakes are pretty much the same, I doubt in reality this will happen often if so maybe once per year. Would be hard to justify traveling when you have a place on a lake.

What model year and why?
What model and why?
What am I missing I should be considering? Pontoon: very little maintenance, perfect for chilling, cruising, sunsets at the lake, you can do most watersports (except surfing) behind it, doesn't hurt it to sit in the water for long periods of time, won't hurt it when it bangs into seawall, plenty of space for large group.

I know this not the jetboat answer you want, and most bash pontoons, but your situation based on what you want to do it seems like a logical choice.

With that you have 25k to spend. That's tough in today's market wanting 2019 or newer
You will have 4 to 6 max adults and 1 child on the boat. 19ft jet boat going to be tight, 6 adult and 1 child would have been tight on my 210.
Will tie boat up on a seawall on weekends in back of narrow shallow cove on my property. Average water depth under jets will be 24" Sound like you have a place on a lake but no lift, might want to consider outboard as this boat will be stored in the water a lot.
May consider trailering to other lakes for some fun elsewhere. Realistically all lakes are pretty much the same, I doubt in reality this will happen often if so maybe once per year. Would be hard to justify traveling when you have a place on a lake.

What model year and why?
What model and why?
What am I missing I should be considering? Pontoon: very little maintenance, perfect for chilling, cruising, sunsets at the lake, you can do most watersports (except surfing) behind it, doesn't hurt it to sit in the water for long periods of time, won't hurt it when it bangs into seawall, plenty of space for large group.

I know this not the jetboat answer you want, and most bash pontoons, but your situation based on what you want to do it seems like a logical choice.

Thanks for the information.
To add I will be only keeping it in the water on weekends and will store either in garage or possibly outside shelter.
No longer looking at 19 or newer but older model years. Most likely 2014,-2017

You may bounce across something as the weather starts to change and more boats are hitting the used market. Maybe even a 24' or 21'.

Yamaha's are going up like crazy now around here (other boats as well). Some at a good price, others are still inflated and some not realistic at all.

Facebook Yamaha Boats

You may bounce across something as the weather starts to change and more boats are hitting the used market. Maybe even a 24' or 21'.

Yamaha's are going up like crazy now around here (other boats as well). Some at a good price, others are still inflated and some not realistic at all.

Facebook Yamaha Boats
Finding many 2014-2016 AR192 in the 25 to 30 range with less then 100 hours. I agree though that I may need bigger.

Not sure were you are at but if your shallow cove has a lot of sea weed you might want to rethink a jet boat.

Finding many 2014-2016 AR192 in the 25 to 30 range with less then 100 hours. I agree though that I may need bigger.

Honestly, if the 19' appears to be on the small side, you would be better off just plunking down how much ever cash you want to part with and finance the rest for the boat you need for your use case. Otherwise you will be unhappy and making the switch anyhow 1-2 seasons in. You don't have to go hog wild on trim levels, but get the size that fits you as well as sounds like you should have a tower as well. Keep some cash in hand to buy the rest of things you will need.

There are 2017-2021 21' Yamaha's all over the place and with rates as low as they are now, it may be a good time to scoop something up, especially going into the winter.

Buying a boat you will or may be unhappy with and can't do what you want is not a great feeling.

6 adults on a 19ft Yamaha will be TIGHT. 4 adults and 4 kids is doable, but the deck better be clean and clear. If you do this on a regular basis, then you'll want a 192 or 195.

For $30k I would be on the lookout for the oldest model AR230 you can find. The MR-1 engines are solid performers, even with some age on them, and you'll get possibly the most Yamaha for your cash. Plenty of space for a crew of 6-8 adults, and enough power to do all the things. They've aged remarkably well, and still look good on the water.

I also second @mrmeaniemeateaterman comments about a pontoon. They're like the minivan of the water. They (typically) aren't that cool, but they hold a lot of people and serve a ton of usefulness. Especially if you have a lake house/camp. They're almost as maintenance free as a jet drive, but they're far more spacious. Downside is they are larger to store, and more taxing when towed (they're a big sail) on land. A 22ft tri-toon with a 125/150hp outboard on it will do everything you need. It won't surf, but you can ride a tube/wakeboard/skis/wakeskate/foil behind them just the same as any other boat.

6 adults on a 19ft Yamaha will be TIGHT. 4 adults and 4 kids is doable, but the deck better be clean and clear. If you do this on a regular basis, then you'll want a 192 or 195.

For $30k I would be on the lookout for the oldest model AR230 you can find. The MR-1 engines are solid performers, even with some age on them, and you'll get possibly the most Yamaha for your cash. Plenty of space for a crew of 6-8 adults, and enough power to do all the things. They've aged remarkably well, and still look good on the water.

I also second @mrmeaniemeateaterman comments about a pontoon. They're like the minivan of the water. They (typically) aren't that cool, but they hold a lot of people and serve a ton of usefulness. Especially if you have a lake house/camp. They're almost as maintenance free as a jet drive, but they're far more spacious. Downside is they are larger to store, and more taxing when towed (they're a big sail) on land. A 22ft tri-toon with a 125/150hp outboard on it will do everything you need. It won't surf, but you can ride a tube/wakeboard/skis/wakeskate/foil behind them just the same as any other boat.

Thanks. I will do research on the AR230's. As far as the pontoon, my boys are 29 and 26 and I am trying to coax them into visiting more and a fun boat they can kneeboard, wakeboard or surf possibly will be attractive to them as they are snowboarders. So I agree and if was just the wife and I the pontoon would be an easy choice.

I agree with @2kwik4u and vote for a 07-09 AR230. Great looking boats for being older, fuel consumption can't be beat, the hull is good-n-sturdy, the MR-1 engines are darn near bullet proof and easy to service & work on. I have no complaints with our boat and would recommend it to anyone looking at jet boats.

I like to look at boat images on Google.

For example, here is a factory picture of a Scarab 195 with adults on board. This is advertised as an 8 person boat. To me, if you are spending any time cruising, it is a comfortable 5 person boat.

scarab 195 adults.jpg

Jim

I like to look at boat images on Google.

For example, here is a factory picture of a Scarab 195 with adults on board. This is advertised as an 8 person boat. To me, if you are spending any time cruising, it is a comfortable 5 person boat.

View attachment 164426

Jim

That really sends the message. Thanks.

That really sends the message. Thanks.
That boat also has 2 captains chairs. If it where a bench like all Yamaha's except the 195s there would be more room. Also another person could easily fit in the bow.

That boat also has 2 captains chairs. If it where a bench like all Yamaha's except the 195s there would be more room. Also another person could easily fit in the bow.

I'd say if 6 is going to be your max, then a 19 foot would be just fine as long as people ride in the bow as well. That scarab picture has a walk thru where the Yamaha has a seat above the motor

Attachments

• 20210509_154144_HDR.jpg
    20210509_154144_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210509_154157_HDR.jpg
    20210509_154157_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
I'd say if 6 is going to be your max, then a 19 foot would be just fine as long as people ride in the bow as well. That scarab picture has a walk thru where the Yamaha has a seat above the motor

Actually, aside from the twin captains chairs, the Scarab has the same seating as the Yamaha. In this version with the walk-through there is a cushion in place between the two rear passengers. I would offer that with the notches in the rear seat, it might actually have better seating than the Yamaha.

Whether 5 passengers or 8 passengers, is entirely a personal decision, but for comfort IMHO it is a 5 person boat for any type of long cruising, regardless of being a Scarab 195 or Yamaha 195.

Personally, I'm looking at a 195 (Scarab or Yamaha) because it would routinely be only two of us, with occassionally three or four. Again personal choice, for for routinely having 6 adults, I would opt for a 21' boat.

Jim

I agree with @2kwik4u and vote for a 07-09 AR230. Great looking boats for being older, fuel consumption can't be beat, the hull is good-n-sturdy, the MR-1 engines are darn near bullet proof and easy to service & work on. I have no complaints with our boat and would recommend it to anyone looking at jet boats.
Is there a year range and model with the MR-1 you would recommend in 21'?

Is there a year range and model with the MR-1 you would recommend in 21'?
Not sure on the 21’ boats but with 6 adults & 1 kid I’d want a 23’ boat. Better to have more than enough room than be tight on space. I’ve had 8 before with more sitting area left but it’s a total cluster once you get to the sand bar or beach and everyone wants out, trying to get into coolers, get towels, apply sunscreen and whatever else.

I have no issues with 6 adults and 2-3 kids. The kids are in the bow and 6 adults in the cockpit is no problem. Granted I usually have 2 adults and 4 kids as my standard compliment. I do have the bench J seating though so that helps a lot. Still have plenty pull to do tubing and water skiing loaded up and get on plane without issues. I do take a good hit to top speed into the mid 30's or so when I am full up.

I guess it all depends on how each person handles more people in the boat and how you pack everyone's crap and what you bring. Some boats I see out there, you would be lucky to get more than 4 on because they bring everything but the kitchen sink.

It also depends on the size of the adults.

The 25' would be bigger and possibly better, but I lose the J seating. If I ever get the 252/255 FSH, TBH I don't care and will be out by myself all the time if anyone ever complains about space :)

Last edited:
It also depends on the size of the adults.

One of my favorite lines in boat reviews is one done by Alan Jones (BoatingWorld Magazine) for the Scarab 195 Open Fish when he talks about the boats performance with "four buffet-loving Americans aboard" ?

Jim

Back