• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

25k to 30k to spend. What would you buy?

Actually, aside from the twin captains chairs, the Scarab has the same seating as the Yamaha. In this version with the walk-through there is a cushion in place between the two rear passengers. I would offer that with the notches in the rear seat, it might actually have better seating than the Yamaha.

Whether 5 passengers or 8 passengers, is entirely a personal decision, but for comfort IMHO it is a 5 person boat for any type of long cruising, regardless of being a Scarab 195 or Yamaha 195.

Personally, I'm looking at a 195 (Scarab or Yamaha) because it would routinely be only two of us, with occassionally three or four. Again personal choice, for for routinely having 6 adults, I would opt for a 21' boat.

Jim
Twin captions chair compared to a bench makes a huge difference, you can sit 2 people where one would sit.

Twin captions chair compared to a bench makes a huge difference, you can sit 2 people where one would sit.
I contend that the bench holds more people easier than the chair on the port side. I CAN sit 3 adults on the port side bench. With the chair I think you'll only get two. Bench also lets me put two coolers and shoes underneath, freeing up deck space.

Either way. Don't count cushions. Count standing space. it's not bad when everyone is seated. 8 adults on my 190 is actually quite comfy this way. However, as soon as one person stands up, or moves around then it's like the worst game of music chairs and musical feet I've ever played. Even worse if there is crap (coolers and bags and such) on the deck. Try getting 4 people standing at the same time with another 4 seated and it's a real cluster screw for space. Hell it's snug with 4 adults and 4 kids, and that when you can tell the kids to "sit and stay" for a few minutes while you dock or otherwise move around.

Our 190 is AMAZING for the two adults, two kids, and a dog. It's the right size for the family. As soon as we bring friends it gets snug in a hurry. Often on days we bring friends it's just a quick blast out to the cove, anchor most of the day, and a quick blast back to the dock. Maybe some cruising around here or there, but that's about it. Also, double date nights are perfect. 4 adults is no problem at all for an evening of cruising and hanging out chatting. Bigger family, or larger friend group and I would want a bigger boat.

Don't discount the 04-06 230's either. A friend of mine picked up a cherry 2006 and he's doing great with it. Additionally, you may be able to get into the redesigned 240 hull and grab an older model. To me, that would be an ideal boat. None of the electronic stuff to go bad on you and you get the newer 1.8 power plants. Just watch out for the oil cooler bolts if you can find a 2010.

At this point just wait. You have a deposit on a brand new boat.... boats almost old enough to drink are being recommended. There is nothing wrong with that, but there is a reason you have a deposit on new. If you can't find something 2019 or newer just stick with new.

I recommend a well maintained 2007 to 2009 Yamaha 230 ar/sx or limited. This was last last generation of 230s and all have the 1,052 cc 160 hp high output motors (they are bullet proof in my opinion). As an older Yamaha they didn’t come with an integrated system like connext but this makes things a simpler to trouble shoot and repair. For instance if the Speedo or stereo goes out you don’t lose the rest of the functions or the ability to boat entirely and you don’t have to take the boat to the shop to get it repaired. These boats also don’t have a keel or rudder to worry about damaging and the same or better functionally can be had by installing aftermarket fins on the steering nozzles. Finally since these boats are older you are more likely to find one in your price range.

good luck with whatever you decide. If it were me, I would not drop $45k on a new single engine 19 foot boat, especially if I could buy a twin engine 23 foot boat with a head compartment for around half the price.

Last edited:
Back