• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

275 on the rocks

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I came upon this video. My heart goes out to this poor guy. Looks like the boat took a good beating. :eek:

Last edited:
Curious if it was a cleanout hatch issue, Connex issue or something else.

That was sickening to watch. It was obvious he was a new owner, as he was on the cell phone, someone was telling him to go check the cleanout hatches, but he had no idea where to look.

That, and he decided to anchor the boat, way too late. And when he did, he ran his rope behind the anchor locker door, and probably had a great chance of ripping it off.

I don't know why he waited for a tow boat. I would have been trying to flag down every boat that passed. Heck, even a jetski would have been able to help.

So much for the rule/law requiring that boaters assist other boaters in need. All I saw were a lot of boats driving around that guy not one (in the video) stopped to ask if he needed help. For shame. At least no fellow yamaha jet boaters passed him, at least not on film.

It’s amazing how many people flew by him when he was obviously in trouble. I have helped many in trouble, and a few that I thought were trouble that declined. Keep an eye out folks and help when you can. It isn’t all about you.

And get a battery jump pack onboard. In my experience, it has saved many.

Last edited:
Feel for that guy. It's a 275 too.

I am not sure how anyone else could help. I would stop and give advice, but I will never tow another boat, and nor should any else unless they are licensed to do so.

More concerning is how close the boats pass by each other and him.

I am not sure how anyone else could help. I would stop and give advice, but I will never tow another boat, and nor should any else unless they are licensed to do so.

More concerning is how close the boats pass by each other and him.
No offense intended but your response reads like you’ve never been in a situation where you needed to be towed in and couldn’t wait for tow boat US or some else with a towing license.

If it was me out there, more so if it was a family member or friend I would want someone to render aid if they could do so without putting themselves in danger. It wouldn’t have taken much to tow that boat out a little farther from shore so he could anchor In a safe place while waiting for a tow. If the water was smooth it wouldn’t have been hard to take tow him all the way back to the ramp.

we should all need to be mindful of other boaters in distress. On my last trip out we passed a boat onshore with the people waving to is, I thought they were just being friendly but a guest of mine said they needed help. We turned around and it turned out he was right. A couple of friends bought a boat together and had their families with them for one of their first trips on the water. They beached their boat and could not get it back in the water. It cost us all of 10 minutes to help a dozen stranded people, they were so relieved and we left feeling good about meeting and helping new boaters. I thought it was worth every second and every drop of gas.
4580C32A-F9AB-487C-BB4D-5CC02B8B41AF.png

No offense intended but your response reads like you’ve never been in a situation where you needed to be towed in and couldn’t wait for tow boat US or some else with a towing license.

Exactly! I'm not sure if you were lawsuit averse or what, but not wanting to help someone is pretty poor. Towing a boat is not rocket science.

I will admit, whenever I have towed someone, I was very clear to either the owner or the person behind the wheel, if I cause damages, I'm not paying for them, it's on them. But yes, I have no issues tossing a line and pulling someone out of harms way, or back to a lift/landing. I would hope they would do the same for me.

I even let someone pull their boat up onto my lift as it was taking on water faster than they could bail it out. And I was not done setting up my lift. We ran to a local hardware store and got them a temporary plug. Saved their bacon!

Most people should understand the basics of where to tie off and tow large objects. Understand proper tow speeds and what your boat, as well as the boat you are towing will do when being pulled. As they both act differently, than when under their own propulsion.

If it was me out there, more so if it was a family member or friend I would want someone to render aid if they could do so without putting themselves in danger. It wouldn’t have taken much to tow that boat out a little farther from shore so he could anchor In a safe place while waiting for a tow. If the water was smooth it wouldn’t have been hard to take tow him all the way back to the ramp.

we should all need to be mindful of other boaters in distress. On my last trip out we passed a boat onshore with the people waving to is, I thought they were just being friendly but a guest of mine said they needed help. We turned around and it turned out he was right. A couple of friends bought a boat together and had their families with them for one of their first trips on the water. They beached their boat and could not get it back in the water. It cost us all of 10 minutes to help a dozen stranded people, they were so relieved and we left feeling good about meeting and helping new boaters. I thought it was worth every second and every drop of gas.
View attachment 168109
damn that looks heavy!

On that subject, If we were to tow someone, would we attach to cleats to to the lower water sports tow point? I assume if I'm being towed I'd just use the bow eye

I do not think any of you are aware of the dangers of towing someone.

Stopping to let him on your boat is completely fine. For the record I have helped push countless boats off the sandbar. I would never ask someone to tow/pull me. The danger to damage the boat and injure someone on both boats is too high.

View attachment 168109
I got flagged down last summer and these guys were out of gas. I towed them back to the fuel dock at no wake speed. Pay it forward. I may need help sometime.

I do not think any of you are aware of the dangers of towing someone.

Obviously, fill us in so we can be better informed.

When I tow, there is nobody between the two boats. I use a no stretch rope, so there is no fear of a whiplash if the rope were to break. I use solid tow points, like the bow eye or tie down point in the rear. Never from cleats, as they are not rated for it, and if they bend, they never go back into the hull.

Fill us in on what we "should fear" as I feel I'm pretty damn safe the very few times I have done it.

Obviously, fill us in so we can be better informed.

When I tow, there is nobody between the two boats. I use a no stretch rope, so there is no fear of a whiplash if the rope were to break. I use solid tow points, like the bow eye or tie down point in the rear. Never from cleats, as they are not rated for it, and if they bend, they never go back into the hull.

Fill us in on what we "should fear" as I feel I'm pretty damn safe the very few times I have done it.

You sound like you know what your doing. Most people I see towing use a dock line and attach wherever (another issue is they keep the line too short).

Curious if you still would risk your crew/vessel to tie up to this guy in those conditions?

https://www.marinerslearningsystem.com/captains-license-towing-endorsement.html#licenserequirements Worth the $100 if anyone wants to become very knowledgeable and certified.

Curious if you still would risk your crew/vessel to tie up to this guy in those conditions?
I hear where you are coming from, as I am a MN lake guy, and the water/current is usually not a concern. Rivers, waves and weather are the wildcards. Being an avid follower of the Haulover Inlet videos on Youtube, I would admit, that I think I would have a difficult time getting the nerve to tow in or around there unless it was during the tide lull.

As that inlet is notorious for not only very large rolling waves due to current, but also the current itself. The large rock jetty on both sides and the traffic. As soon as boats come out of the no-wake zone (bridge) it is game on. And many of those boats are well over 40' and thousands (literally) of horsepower.

So to answer your question, in this situation, I would have a tough time helping out. So in general, no, I have no issues offering assistance. But in this case, it would have to be ideal conditions where I know the variables. Home waters, not a concern.

I am intrigued to go boating in larger waterways in the future. So to your point, tow when you know the variables. And many don't know, what they don't know.

I hear where you are coming from, as I am a MN lake guy, and the water/current is usually not a concern. Rivers, waves and weather are the wildcards. Being an avid follower of the Haulover Inlet videos on Youtube, I would admit, that I think I would have a difficult time getting the nerve to tow in or around there unless it was during the tide lull.

As that inlet is notorious for not only very large rolling waves due to current, but also the current itself. The large rock jetty on both sides and the traffic. As soon as boats come out of the no-wake zone (bridge) it is game on. And many of those boats are well over 40' and thousands (literally) of horsepower.

So to answer your question, in this situation, I would have a tough time helping out. So in general, no, I have no issues offering assistance. But in this case, it would have to be ideal conditions where I know the variables. Home waters, not a concern.

I am intrigued to go boating in larger waterways in the future. So to your point, tow when you know the variables. And many don't know, what they don't know.

Yeah lots of variables in play. Most of the towing I have seen has been stuck boats on the bottom. I have seen a few lines break with people trying to pull someone off a sandbar, and have heard to only what I assume is fiberglass cracking in the same situation. Nothing like a 21' bayliner pulling out a 40' Sailboat in 4 feet of water.

I wonder is some of the other boat captains even knew the 275 was in distress?

Personally, I think some of the other boaters are dicks. Water is pretty smooth for this area, so why not slow down when passing the 275?

Wondering if anyone carries a distress flag and if they would have used it in this situation?

Jim

I have a flag, I would use it if needed. I would also be sound signaling to other boaters, if assistance is needed.

Back