• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

275 on the rocks

No offense intended but your response reads like you’ve never been in a situation where you needed to be towed in and couldn’t wait for tow boat US or some else with a towing license.

If it was me out there, more so if it was a family member or friend I would want someone to render aid if they could do so without putting themselves in danger. It wouldn’t have taken much to tow that boat out a little farther from shore so he could anchor In a safe place while waiting for a tow. If the water was smooth it wouldn’t have been hard to take tow him all the way back to the ramp.

we should all need to be mindful of other boaters in distress. On my last trip out we passed a boat onshore with the people waving to is, I thought they were just being friendly but a guest of mine said they needed help. We turned around and it turned out he was right. A couple of friends bought a boat together and had their families with them for one of their first trips on the water. They beached their boat and could not get it back in the water. It cost us all of 10 minutes to help a dozen stranded people, they were so relieved and we left feeling good about meeting and helping new boaters. I thought it was worth every second and every drop of gas.
View attachment 168109
100%

I'm about stopping to help someone on the water when they need help. Last season there was a rental boat out of gas in an area with no cell coverage. I used the VHF to call for a tow for them and stood by at a distance until the tow boat was on site.

My concern with towing someone...epecially when they are stuck on a sandbar (or whatever) is 1) once you tie a line onto them, you're responsible; 2) a Yamaha isn't designed to tow (just look at the sheriff boats and tow boats and compare where they tow from vs our wimpy ski tow hook); and 3) if that line has tension on it and it breaks, it can snap back (most likely on the towboat) and possibly really hurt someone. For me, that's a hard pass. but I will stay around, call for assistance and ensure they are safe until said assistance arrives.

I'm about stopping to help someone on the water when they need help. Last season there was a rental boat out of gas in an area with no cell coverage. I used the VHF to call for a tow for them and stood by at a distance until the tow boat was on site.

My concern with towing someone...epecially when they are stuck on a sandbar (or whatever) is 1) once you tie a line onto them, you're responsible; 2) a Yamaha isn't designed to tow (just look at the sheriff boats and tow boats and compare where they tow from vs our wimpy ski tow hook); and 3) if that line has tension on it and it breaks, it can snap back (most likely on the towboat) and possibly really hurt someone. For me, that's a hard pass. but I will stay around, call for assistance and ensure they are safe until said assistance arrives.
You really should use a bridal from your rear cleats to tow, the ski tow point is not rated to tow anything heavy. Make sure your cleats go through the deck and have a backer to distribute the loads and you should be able to tow or be towed without a problem.

- On towing, consider that there are primarily 2 ways to tow: aft and abeam. When you use each will depend on your circumstance. Aft keeps the disabled vessel farther away (good if you might need time to cut a line, say if it is sinking, or if there is a fire danger), but is more difficult to control. To tow abeam you put the disabled vessel just aft of your vessel on your beam and secure it with springing lines (and fenders, of course). That is easier to control, especially in traffic, easier to communicate (and get the disabled vessel to assist with steering, if possible), but has increased risks if the disabled vessel is taking on water or a fire danger.
When you tow abeam you want your boat slightly behind the boat being towed. The leverage you gain by having your prop/jet behind their boat allows you to have much better control than if he is slightly behind you. Get a buddy boat and try towing in both positions and you will learn what works and doesn't.

Back