• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

3 hrs on 2019 195 Open ID only getting 10 MPH at 5300 RPM

Rbreaux

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Hi all and I’m happy to find the forum and participate!

Different answer from dealers and Scarab. New 2019 195 Open ID Rotax 300. Purchased from dealer in NC and had shipped to TX. We have 2 hours use in and we can not get past 5300 RPM and 10 MPH. In the first few minutes of operation it limited to this. We were in 2-6 feet of water. I trailered after first 20minutes. Nothing under in intake and no sign of any damage. That afternoon put it at marina and took it out again. Tried the reverse trick and still no change. Read everything I had and spoke to scarab and 3 different dealers. Dealer with most experience stated that I had to have sucked in debri. NC and Scarab thinks it could be a computer limitation for the break-in. The Rotax manual does say it limits to 7000 RPMs or less. Have 2 hours of putting around in the heat and am feeling lost. How difficult is a deeper dig into debris. Any advice is so appreciated on this Independence day weekend. Happy 4th from Rockport, TX

Quote Reply Report •••
Dean P
Dean P
Jetboaters Admiral
Thursday at 3:57 PM

Hi and :Welcome: to the forum. Please post pics of your new boat. We all love pictures.

Word is these new engines have a break-in period of 10 hours. Put some hours on her first and then open her up. But you should be able to get on plane. I would double check and make sure nothing is trapped at the impeller and the intake. Get a bright light to really see. Let us know what you see and find out.
Like Like Quote Reply Report
Like Reactions: You
R
Rbreaux
Thursday at 4:07 PM

70735A49-70FC-47AA-B7D1-88ED7D6A69F5.jpeg
Quote Reply Report •••
Like Reactions: zipper and tdonoughue
Luc Lafreniere
Luc Lafreniere
Jet Boat Addict
Thursday at 4:28 PM

Personally, I'm doubtful it's the break in OR debris. Debris manifests itself by shaking/vibrating the boat pretty strongly at higher RPM/speed. Besides, you should be able to spot debris through the intake grate easily. The break in is indeed a thing for 10h I believe, but you should definitely be going faster as @Dean P mentioned. You just can't reach top speed for at least 10h.

No lights/errors on the display at all? I recently had a bad spark plug and it was very similar to what you're describing. But I had a code come up/light (I also could tell it was running a little rough beforehand since I know my boat well).
Like Like Quote Reply Report
Like Reactions: You
R
Rbreaux
Thursday at 4:35 PM

No lights at all. 99CD2B03-D676-4575-AC91-5272446BDD98.jpeg
Quote Reply Report •••
tdonoughue
tdonoughue
Jetboaters Admiral
Friday at 3:35 PM

Disclaimer: I don't have a Scarab...

I guess I could be convinced that the computer was limiting the engine to 5260 until 10 hours was up. But at that RPM you should be up on plane and doing 25 or so I would think, at least. Unless you are going upstream against a 15mph current... Got a pic of the intake grate?
Like Quote Reply Report
R
Rbreaux
Friday at 11:23 PM

Will provide more pics on Monday.. thanks for the plane and 25 info!! Boats seem to be at such demand that service you are getting right now from dealers is so sad!!! I was thinking of pulling the end myself since it would be out if service for 6 weeks at nearest dealer:(
Quote Reply Report •••
R
Rbreaux
Yesterday at 6:55 PM

Okay...got to 3 hours and no change. We hit the 5300 RPM at 3/4 throttle and then nothing going forward. No shaking and no lights. Nothing in intake:(((
Quote Reply Report •••
tdonoughue
tdonoughue
Jetboaters Admiral
Yesterday at 8:46 PM

Might want to try posting to the Scarab part of the forum. Or to the General part. May get more ideas than here in tips & tricks...
Like Quote Reply

Jet Boat Tom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
If you are at WOT, I would check your throttle sensor under the helm. It might be out of adjustment.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Just putting this out there. Are you in Dock Mode? I just bought a 2018 165 ID and still learning the different settings. Dock Mode from my understand limits you speed and RPMs.
Good point...

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Just putting this out there. Are you in Dock Mode? I just bought a 2018 165 ID and still learning the different settings. Dock Mode from my understand limits you speed and RPMs.
I don't think it will go into dock mode by default. You really have to want to be in docking mode. Plus dock mode will just get you just faster than "no wake speed" so I doubt it would give you even 3K RPM? I can't remember exactly.

During my break-in period my engine started at around 6800, I think, and would definitely go on plane. I agree that there's something else going on besides break in or debris. I do have a 2019 195 300 but I can't imagine that the numbers would be that different.

Oh, and just to add: Remember to vary your speed/throttle during the break in period.

Rbreaux

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
This ended up being a hose off the supercharger was loose and blew off. I did not see it and did not expect anything like that to happen on a brand new boat. Thanks for the help!!