• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

3D Printed new key switch panel for Garmin Fusion Head Unit

BadEphemeris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought I would show off the new panel I had 3D printed to fit a Fusion RA-210 head unit at the helm. It turned out pretty nice! We will have to wait and see how it holds up to the heat and sunlight.

panel.jpg

Last edited:

bigb_99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's awesome!!

BadEphemeris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just an update on this.. My first attempt used PLA filament and did end up "melting" in the heat.. I printed a second one with PETG and that has held up well.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a UV protection transparent spray that I use on stuff I print that is hit by the sun. There's a rear piece that is well exposed to the sun and it's going strong on year 3. I think I used the Krylon version, (because their plastic paint is awesome) but any will probably work. Just a thought. Worse case you do it on the next one, the awesome thing about 3D printing!

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So i have a question about the plastic. I guess you leave it in a rough surface condition for the anti glare attributes. Im just wondering if you could actually polish that type of plastic if you wanted to, or give it a smooth surface? I know nothing ablout 3d printing, i imagine your stuck with certain types of plastics and or finishes? Thanks for the education.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can make your bed be a piece of glass, then whatever is printed against the bed (the bottom of the print) is EXTREMELY smooth, but it's hard to hide it's 3d printed without painting, even if you can't get a nail to catch from how smooth the finish is. There are lines from the process that remain visible (at least for me)

You can also sand and paint. Others I'm sure have many other tips.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just cut a cool looking black lexan cutting board from target.

BadEphemeris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So i have a question about the plastic. I guess you leave it in a rough surface condition for the anti glare attributes. Im just wondering if you could actually polish that type of plastic if you wanted to, or give it a smooth surface? I know nothing ablout 3d printing, i imagine your stuck with certain types of plastics and or finishes? Thanks for the education.
Yes, my second print I used the side touching the base plate, and then ended up priming and painting.. I color matched the other dash pieces to match.20210420_151751.jpg

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can make your bed be a piece of glass, then whatever is printed against the bed (the bottom of the print) is EXTREMELY smooth, but it's hard to hide it's 3d printed without painting, even if you can't get a nail to catch from how smooth the finish is. There are lines from the process that remain visible (at least for me)

You can also sand and paint. Others I'm sure have many other tips.
If I may offer my experiences with 3d printing parts for the boat/truck. I've had success with sanding down any filament trails, overprinted edges, etc. After that spraying with a high-build primer to get rid of the printing artifacts then top-coating with your flavor of choice. Lastly hit it with clear anti-UV spray and it seems to do the trick. I used it for some parts that were under pressure on my truck and it seemed to work well. YMMV of course.