• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

3M 5200 is hard to clean up

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wanted to say thanks for buying all that 3M product!! Makes my 401K look better and better!! :thumbsup:
Dude, go pick out a house on a lake somewhere. We use a ton of 3M product. From Scotch Tape to Scotch Brite and everything in between.:cool:

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Glassman ... I have one on Table Rock and would be there full time if I could talk the wife into it. This is the view from my deck...my dock and boat are just below. And THANKS AGAIN!!WP_20140411_001.jpg

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jim Robeson since everyone else is picking your brain, I will add another question. I understand the argument being given about permanent versus removal as it pertains to the 5200 and 4200 sealants. I am in the process of replacing my scupper and just finished cleaning off a bunch of silicone. I have life caulk available in my tool chest (yes, I understand this did not contribute to your 401K). I am not sure how well you know your competitor products, but since you seem to be a regular on here, then you should certainly have a level of familiarity with Life Caulk.

Anyway, what would be the best sealant to put this scupper in with? I am not concerned about a couple of dollars and I have a home depot a mile down the road that has 5200 on the shelf. The scupper is the Atwood Stainless Steel one so it technically should never need to be removed. The flapper has a screw on it, so it would appear the flapper can be removed if it needs to be replaced without removing the scupper. I know most of all replaced their scuppers already, but I always have been a bit of a procrastinator!

Thanks @Bruce for the wrench and the others who have gone before to retrieve part numbers for this install.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Jump Right In , I would not consider putting in anything that might ever have to be changed with 5200 as the guys have said. The polyurethane caulks such as Life Caulk or the 3M 4200, is a much better "under the waterline" material than straight silicone caulks. That said, Yamaha and other boat builders have no issue sealing up underwater fixtures with plain old silicone. I have my doubts if they even use "marine grade silicone". But maybe they do. Silicone is great for sealing around speakers, cupholders, window frame edges, filling holes that you only want to disguise but not repair correctly. I am not 100% sure if 3M4200 comes in only poly caulks, but they do make one I believe. Here is the deal...you want any caulk that has to remain 100% waterproof, to remain plyable long term. That means flexible. A strong ridged seal is not a good seal. It needs to have great adhesion properties and excellent flexibility. That is Life Caulk and I was under the impression it was also 3M4200. But a cement, i.e., 5200, has no flexibility like a caulk...so don't use it as a seal, use it as a cement or hard repair material, that will never be removed. Correct any error I have made Jim...and i want to come visit, and see your place...and maybe, you and @Boat Crazy could help me in the future to possibly figure out how to enjoy a place similar to yours!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Jump Right In ... my understanding of Life Caulk is that it is a polysulfide where 5200 is a polyurethane. Polysulfide, or at least some of them, can attack some plastics and is not normally used for something to be permanent. A polyurethane is more of an adhesive that 3M has added a few things to make it a sealant as well. Depending on which 5200 you get, slow (blue tube) or fast(red tube), it will take up to a week to fully cure. The only difference in the two is that the fast cure will be tack free, won't come off on your finger, in about an hour. The slow cure will take 48 hours, depending on temp and humidity. Just remember to look at the top of the tube, where the nozzle is attached, for the lot number. Anything that starts with a "4" was made this year. This product only has a shelf life of 2 years and hopefully the distributors aren't selling anything older than that. I hope I have helped.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@txav8r ... you are more than welcome any time!! Just say when.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My experience with fast cure 3m5200 (red tube). I used it to seal up an under water through hull fitting on my old 97 seadoo speedster in 2002. In 2012 the transducer died and I had to remove the stuff. It was still very flexible and after some pushing and pulling on the excess hanging from the inside it pulled out. Was not that difficult. The plug felt like the material in a super ball and had it been round I bet it would have bounced pretty well.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Jim Robeson - there seems to be multiple experiences with the 3m5200. After curing, is it supposed to end up hard like a cement? or still flexible?
It will remain flexible or soft, but completely cured for a very long time.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jim Robeson ...So if time is on my side (won't be putting boat in for a couple of weeks), is there a better option than this? If not... I may just make a quick run to Home Depot tonight. At this point, I believe I am officially done plugging the 3M product line for the evening.

3m5200 sealant.JPG

Last edited:

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Jump Right In ... Maybe a better option is to contact a reliable Yamaha service center and ask them what they would use. Our products are very good at what they are designed to do and would not hesitate to use 5200 on that part. That is just my opinion.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Can I use the 4200 for install on my abyss underwater lighting screw holes ??

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Jim certainly knows his products. But for any application that you may have to change the component or area in question, using either 3M 4200 or Life Caulk will be easier to both remove and prep the surface than if you use a more permanent 5200. Yamaha uses marine grade silicones on underwater they hulls and fixtures. But I personally use better products than silicone for underwater sealing.