• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brass Drain plug install

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If interested, here's the one's I've got coming now. On sale. Not a big deal but I ended up choosing bronze as I'm getting close to retirement and may be spending more time in the warm salt. :)

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/sea-dog-bronze-garboard-drain-with-1-2-plug.html
I also got the same bronze plugs, just in case I do the Florida trip next year. Awaiting shipment along with the underwater lights. See what you started Billy Marlin!! Thanks for taking the jump.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I went down to pick up a couple brass drains and found the same ones that the factory installed but in stainless. The plug is better quality as well.
Looks awesome! Do the holes line up?

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Lined up perfectly. I'd prefer the brass but really hate drilling holes through the boat.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The plug is better quality as well.
No doubt but make sure you check for an obstruction inside the port drain. That was my biggest gripe. The little plastic tab on the plug kept hitting the obstruction and made it nearly impossible to get the drain plug in correctly without a great deal of effort.

The obstruction is actually the fiberglass base of the wet exhaust housing. I don't know if everyone's is like mine or if I had the lucky extra piece glass installed by the Yamaha QC department. Either way, my port side was a real PITA. Enter the screw in plugs...problem solved.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I pulled the OEM drains they were nice and cleanly drilled with no obstructions.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you have to enlarge the hole at all or just clean up? Want to know if need to borrow a dremel before I start.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
A very minor clean-up with a Dremel or even just a sandpaper wrapped finger should do the job.

Kahuna Khris

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. Amazing how poor the fit and finish is on this boat. My port side drain looked like Billy Marlins (thanks Bill) but my starboard side hole was about 1/2 inch lower so the rim of the brass insert was below the hull. Anyway...install done and 4200 curing underway. That plastic garbage I removed had no caulking and the threads were chewed. This reminds me of what I found when my plastic rodholders broke off (review and pics posted). The boating environment is harsh and everything should be robust. Attention Yamaha Canada and USA....if we are willing to spend many thousands on your boat we will spend another hundred plus on those hidden, but important parts.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Purchased marine adhesive 4000 instead of the 5200 since 4000 can be removed if needed. Just in case these ever strip or fail.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-05280-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0000AY0ND?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Used my dremel tool and a circular sanding bit to clean drain holes after removing the plastic plugs just held in by silicone. My starboard drain plug practically fell out after removing the screws so that might have been the cause for my leak. Used a razor blade and WD-40 to remove the silicone and cleaned the holes up.

Drilled my 3 holes after dry fitting my plug wish I wrote down what size bit and screws I used. I think they are #7 stainless steel but I bought packs of #7, #8, #9.

Coat of adhesive around hole and in all drilled holes.

Coated my new plug with lots of sealant

Made sure I had adhesive come out everywhere

Added the 3 screws and tightened them down each a little at a time for even pressure

Finished install just used a paper towel to clean off all excess adhesive and made sure to clean out the screw bit heads as they had some adhesive in them.

Somehow I don't have a final image with the plugs will snap one tonight but they look dang good!
Billy, you should seriously consider pulling out those stainless screws and replacing them with bronze.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
consider pulling out those stainless screws and replacing them with bronze.
I will do the same. Freshwater probably no problem but I just pulled after sitting in salt for two weeks and it looks like there was already some electrolysis/staining happening.