• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

3rd Shredded Alternator Belt - Islandia

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Another thing to check is the pulley alignment. You mentioned that it was a little offset from the other pulleys. Can you place a straightedge to check in two dimensions?
This is more than likely the culprit. Does the OP noticed black dust all over the place? That's usually a sign of the belt wearing abnormally. Using a straight edge to check alignment is the right idea. If the bearings are going, that could also put excessive drag on the system and allow for the pulley to wear rapidly. Over tightening the belt can also lead to premature failure.

Daxxer: can you post some pics of the shredded belts and the current alignment? Pics would be very helpful here.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
20170329_095204.jpg 20170329_095403.jpg 20170329_095049.jpg 20170329_095754.jpg Here are a couple of pics of mine, should be the same engine. Belt has been on since the factory install in 03. alternator and tensioner are in perfect alinement and both are in line with fly wheel. Wonder about his crank sensor though Hard to tell in my pic but it is a good 1/8 inch or more from the flywheel and barely overlaps the belt

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am not familiar with the engine but is there a belt tensioner pulley. Often when belts continually shred the tensioner is the culprit, and not so much the alignment. I had a similar issue on my truck. There is a dampening mechanism inside that can fail. What was explained to me is that if you watch the tensioner during operation and it moves back and forth a bit, that indicated a dampener failure. I could see that on mine. Hope this helps, Cam.

973BoatGuy

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I need a part number to find/order a belt for my Seadoo Challenger 2000 2003 EFI Merc motor. Can't seem to locate it anywhere... any i can't read it off my shredded belt. HELP [flag]

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Someone on the Sugar Sand face book page said Napa #25-040315 works Also saw Autozone 4040319 mentioned. Be a lot cheaper than Merc, oem is like 70 bucks. Sugar Sand uses same engine.

Daxxer

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Islandia
Boat Length
I need a part number to find/order a belt for my Seadoo Challenger 2000 2003 EFI Merc motor. Can't seem to locate it anywhere... any i can't read it off my shredded belt. HELP [flag]
Well if you'd look through these threads you'd probably find that info and more. If you'd like to spend $80 with Mercury for the belt, I can't remember the number at the moment as I sold the boat a couple years ago. But I'd suggest going to Vbeltsupply.com and order the 310K4 K Series Poly V Belt . I bought 4 for around $13 and kept them in the boat along with a 3/8 socket wrench. Saved my sanity and my wallet. Good luck. Craig

Croaker

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Islandia
Boat Length
Someone on the Sugar Sand face book page said Napa #25-040315 works Also saw AutoZone 4040319 mentioned. Be a lot cheaper than Merc, oem is like 70 bucks. Sugar Sand uses same engine.
I'm late to the party but the AutoZone 4040319 is a 19" belt. You probably need the 20" belt 320K4 4PK0915. I paid $24 with tax this week.

240 JD 6 Cyl 3.501 Bore 2.5L Sport Jet runs perfect with it. The original belt was a 57-828507-10 DF

The 19" belt would definitely not last long and be very tight.

2003 SeaDoo Islandia Alternator Belt - AutoZone.png