• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

560 hours on a 2 year old sx190

ENariyelil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi I’m a newbie here
Looking to buy a used Jetboat and i see a listing of 2018 sx190 for 20k but it has 560 hours on it other than that the boat is like new condition
I need some advice here,
How long a jet engine will last since? How much would it cost to rebuild the engine if it give up on me? Should I even consider buying it since I’m a new boater and do not want any trouble.
please advice thanks in advance

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
That’s a lot of hours coming from a 2018, but these engines will go much longer, so if the boat looks well taken care of and the seller can provide maintenance records I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is a lot of hours. Personally I would pass. There are other boats out there.

Google sbt engines. You can also look at wrecked skis

ENariyelil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s a lot of hours coming from a 2018, but these engines will go much longer, so if the boat looks well taken care of and the seller can provide maintenance records I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
Thanks for the reply , the seller doesn’t have any maintenance record, he said he did all the maintenance and winterized last 2 years, he has a boat rental business that’s how he put so much hours in a short time.

ENariyelil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is a lot of hours. Personally I would pass. There are other boats out there.

Google sbt engines. You can also look at wrecked skis
Thanks for the advice, I was gonna pass too but I could get it for 19k that’s why I was thinking even if I spend couple of 1000 rebuilding the engine it would still worth it. But don’t know how much would cost to rebuild

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice, I was gonna pass too but I could get it for 19k that’s why I was thinking even if I spend couple of 1000 rebuilding the engine it would still worth it. But don’t know how much would cost to rebuild
the rebuild will probably be more than $1,000. I would not touch that boat for more than $15k. Even so I would probably pass. Under regular use, the engine will be fine, it with it being a rental it is very likely abused.
I was you not long ago and if you cannot afford to buy a brand new boat I will hung around here until a member whom you feel comfortable decided to change his or her boat.
That boat clocking about 200 a years means that it has been a cash cow for the seller. In all likelihood he is selling now because it is a seller market and he can get a good price. But a 190 with 200 hours a year is a lot of income to give up. You can do the math but that was has paid itself within the first 2 years.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see how most pwc renters treat their rentals and understand from a renters point of view. If I’m going to pay $200 or more per day, I’m going to drive it like a stole it.
I suspect the boat has connext But it doesn’t matter if it has a multi gauge instead. a dealer could plug into it and see how the boat/engine was used over its life and what if any warning Codes the boat threw while in service.

ENariyelil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
the rebuild will probably be more than $1,000. I would not touch that boat for more than $15k. Even so I would probably pass. Under regular use, the engine will be fine, it with it being a rental it is very likely abused.
I was you not long ago and if you cannot afford to buy a brand new boat I will hung around here until a member whom you feel comfortable decided to change his or her boat.
That boat clocking about 200 a years means that it has been a cash cow for the seller. In all likelihood he is selling now because it is a seller market and he can get a good price. But a 190 with 200 hours a year is a lot of income to give up. You can do the math but that was has paid itself within the first 2 years.
Yes I’m not in a rush at all anyway the season is over for this year. He said he’s selling it to get a new model he has a 2015, 240 which has 1060 hours he’s selling that too..

ENariyelil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see how most pwc renters treat their rentals and understand from a renters point of view. If I’m going to pay $200 or more per day, I’m going to drive it like a stole it.
I suspect the boat has connext But it doesn’t matter if it has a multi gauge instead. a dealer could plug into it and see how the boat/engine was used over its life and what if any warning Codes the boat threw while in service.
If I decide to buy it I may have to get a mechanic and check the compression and other details since I’m a newbie, but I think it’s better off waiting than going for it now.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am are you are more familiar with cars, so I will try to put in that context. You are looking at at equivalent Toyota Corolla with 200,000 miles on it and it was used as cab. The 240 is more like a Land cruiser with 400K miles on it. Do those vehicles have more usable time on them. Sure they do. Yamaha makes claims of 5,000 hours before rebuild, but I would not want to be the one testing that theory.

it is not that you will be using that boat during winter anyway,.
I have no idea where this fellow is, but it seems that he is making a killing with those boats.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if he is renting those on salt water, it is highly unlikely that he flushing them after every use. That will be a lot of effort on his part.

That being said, I am glad to hear confirmed cases of boats with that many hours.

Note: if for some reason you still insists on having mechanic check it out, you want to make sure they connect to the ECU and give you a report on how many hours at what RPM range.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I would hard pass on anything that was a rental. If it was just a guy who liked to boat every single day that would be different. People beat the living shit out of rentals. Even if it looks good, I'd be weary! The market should get flooded with used boats around February. All the people who bought this year and figured boat ownership wasn't a good idea and now have to pay to store it or pay on it while it sits! I'd wait and see what happens with the used market in the coming months.

ENariyelil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am are you are more familiar with cars, so I will try to put in that context. You are looking at at equivalent Toyota Corolla with 200,000 miles on it and it was used as cab. The 240 is more like a Land cruiser with 400K miles on it. Do those vehicles have more usable time on them. Sure they do. Yamaha makes claims of 5,000 hours before rebuild, but I would not want to be the one testing that theory.

it is not that you will be using that boat during winter anyway,.
I have no idea where this fellow is, but it seems that he is making a killing with those boats.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if he is renting those on salt water, it is highly unlikely that he flushing them after every use. That will be a lot of effort on his part.

That being said, I am glad to hear confirmed cases of boats with that many hours.

Note: if for some reason you still insists on having mechanic check it out, you want to make sure they connect to the ECU and give you a report on how many hours at what RPM range.
Good advice and great explanation, thank you so much and much appreciated I’m going to pass on it might as well pay couple of Gs extra and get a boat with less hours

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I decide to buy it I may have to get a mechanic and check the compression and other details since I’m a newbie, but I think it’s better off waiting than going for it now.
My 2 cents

A boat with those hours , the mechanic is not going to be able to see the lower bearings. There is so many more wear parts that you will not be able to see.

There will be a lot of boats available very soon, if not already.

ENariyelil

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, not in a rush at all and I have 6 more months to look till next season, so I’m going to pass on this, thanks for your input

tomoc sx190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi I’m a newbie here
Looking to buy a used Jetboat and i see a listing of 2018 sx190 for 20k but it has 560 hours on it other than that the boat is like new condition
I need some advice here,
How long a jet engine will last since? How much would it cost to rebuild the engine if it give up on me? Should I even consider buying it since I’m a new boater and do not want any trouble.
please advice thanks in advance
I too am a newbie just bought a 2021 sx190 read this article hope I helps with your decision making ....
Most I/O's can typically go 3000 hours before a "major" rebuild is needed. That said, many subsystems will fail long before that, and it's typical for I/O's to start having problems between 500-1000 hours.Jun 20, 2012
1602944021223.jpeg
yamahajetboaters.com › forum › vie...
Life expectancy of Yamaha Jet ... - Yamaha Jet Boaters

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless it was dirt cheap i would stay away from any prior rental boat or ski.
Who knows what underlying damage could surface. A lot of people who rent boats dont even know how to drive a boat. Never mind a jet boat
Run away from that boat