• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

5k tow limit

Jimxo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone tow with a Toyota Tacoma v6 4x4 ?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tundra has a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs, 5.7L at about 390 hp, 405 ft lbs torque and a 4:30 rear end. Oh, she can tow.
430 rear gears... ouch! U hit the red line at 75mph? Lol. I bet it could tow like a mother but dang!

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Jimxo if you're looking in the 1/4 ton market, take a look at the GMC/Chevrolet Canyon/Colorado with the 2.8L diesel. I tow a 242 approximately 10k miles a year and it handles the load well. I estimate my tow weight at 6,000 lbs fully load for the lake / beach with coolers and all, but the truck is rated for 7,600 lbs. I did add an "Add-A-Leaf" kit to help with squatting and trailer sway and I would recommend it although it does raise the rear of your vehicle. However, If you don't want the rear raised 1 - 1.5" you can simply add a sway bar and overload spring to really give you a nice tow and stock soft ride. Either way, people will give you funny looks with a boat nearly twice the size of your tow vehicle but I usually pass them on the highway anyways. Just remember to throw the truck in 4x4 while on a steep ramp, just to have all four wheels hold you to the ramp because the truck is rather light.IMG_4024.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it is like the 2016 4R with 4.0 V6 - it is borderline. Tacoma ratings and suspension and drive train specs are all over the map, But assuming the ratings cover 5500 pounds that you absolutely need, it will be adequate probably not great.

Ando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I personally would probably get another tow vehicle.

A car with 5000lb tow capicity can probably tow 6000lb as the manufacturer will give you wiggle room. It also depends on the transmission.

I tow my AR230 with a BMW X5 and it does great! Better then Uhaul truck and cargo van I have used with higher tow capacity.

Btw does my trailer look leveled properly?

Attachments

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
All while getting at like 4 gallons to the mile! :p

I liked my Tundra, but the mileage was atrocious. She was a beast though.
Smiles per gallon...

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a 2012 Taco 4x4 4.0 3:73 with the Baja package so it had the slightly upgraded suspension. Towing my 190 it did good on short trips but with the 5 speed auto trans, on long trips it was either lock out OD and guzzle fuel or deal with a trans that couldn't decide what gear was the best to be in. Get some wind and at times you would feel the boat back there; though overall it was manageable and I never felt like I was a crash waiting to happen.

I did trade in the Taco and got a new F150 last summer. Small block 2.7 ecoboost and the 10 speed trans and its like there isn't anything back there. If toyota would have put some kinda tow haul mode on the Tacoma, it would have been a world of difference. Tow rating was 6400 lbs on that truck.