• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

5k tow limit

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@PJ73 I just tagged you on that thread

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's another good read on the benefits of having a low overhang behind the real axle. I think @swatski commented about this in another thread in reference to small SUV's towing and how having the ball closer to the rear axle helps improve stability.

This article is in relation to 5th wheel campers, but the same "rear overhang percentage" will hold true for a boat trailer. We just can't ever get to zero :D
https://rvlifemag.com/pivoting-pin-box-or-sliding-hitch/

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here's another good read on the benefits of having a low overhang behind the real axle. I think @swatski commented about this in another thread in reference to small SUV's towing and how having the ball closer to the rear axle helps improve stability.

This article is in relation to 5th wheel campers, but the same "rear overhang percentage" will hold true for a boat trailer. We just can't ever get to zero :D
Pivoting Pin Box or Sliding Hitch? - RV Lifestyle Magazine
Part of why I like towing with my jeep. The weight is basically right over the rear axle.

Not that I really want to, but my winch post is non movable, so I'm stuck with what I got. I've climbed on the back of the boat with my buddy and felt the front end get a smidge lighter but no risk of it pulling up. I weigh close to 200lbs and he's 160ish, so not quite 400lbs. I'd guess my tongue weight is somewhere in the 400-500lb range which is ideal for me. Does put me closer to the 10% range, but I want a little more weight there.

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have moved my boat to get roughly 7% and with more than a few people on the swim platform and it has never lifted the front up.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think with the 2 axles it takes a lot of weight to move the boat. Single axle I would be less certain. (but speculating, I'm sure someone will point out if it has happened to them on a single axle)

Jimxo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the input. I've decided I need to buy a used truck, or suv or trade my MDX for a full size Yukon or Expedition.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before we bought our 3/4 ton ford truck we pulled the boat with an 05 dodge durango. (The large ugly one).. it has all wheel drive and a hemispheric so it had the to rating.. I could still feel the boat back there. It just made it squat a little too much for me. We were blinding people with our headlights at night. So, at the time not wanting to buy another tow vehicle i.put air bags under the back. It made an enormous difference. Once loaded it was hard to feel the boat at all. The truck was far more stable. I am not sure if it adds to the tow abilities of the vehicle but made it was a whole new world towing. ......... then 3 no this later we bought a truck.. still have the durango though. If needed I would use it to pull the boat anytime.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or look at those... Crazy good prices for those Q7 TDIs...
The one with the fix is quite impressive. Just had a (would be) $5000 oil leak fixed on my Porsche for free from the warranty.

But yeah, 2K or so retail gets full delete kit, no more emissions, and more power and efficiency than ever before. No more adblue as well.

Even if that's what you wanted, I'd still sell it back and buy a newer one myself. There was a 2015 Cayenne diesel here locally, sub 20K miles for 42K. Something like that leaves 10K to play with still. If you need the 3rd row of the q7, here's a 2015 with 25K miles for 34K. Lots of clean low mileage examples out there.

Used Audi Q7 For Sale - CarGurus

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Before we bought our 3/4 ton ford truck we pulled the boat with an 05 dodge durango. (The large ugly one).. it has all wheel drive and a hemispheric so it had the to rating.. I could still feel the boat back there. It just made it squat a little too much for me. We were blinding people with our headlights at night. So, at the time not wanting to buy another tow vehicle i.put air bags under the back. It made an enormous difference. Once loaded it was hard to feel the boat at all. The truck was far more stable. I am not sure if it adds to the tow abilities of the vehicle but made it was a whole new world towing. ......... then 3 no this later we bought a truck.. still have the durango though. If needed I would use it to pull the boat anytime.
I've been really impressed with how my jeep tows my 212x with airbags. Where I store my boat is a dirt/gravel path uphill coming out with some fairly good size bumps to go over. Jeep idles right up that without an issue. Starting and stopping has been markably better than I predicted as well. I'll still likely stay close to home until it comes time to replace my jeep........or my wife convinces me to get the Jeep truck.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've been looking at the expedition but man thats a lot of money. I need a tow vehicle for my 242 and its between the RAM 1500 and the F150 for me.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Look used. I've seen XLTs with like 40k miles in the very low $20k range.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are also some incredible deals on Q7 TDIs ("fixed" after diesel-gate 1st gen pre-2013) to be had, I'm told by a memeber here who just got one in Texas.

--

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been looking at the expedition but man thats a lot of money. I need a tow vehicle for my 242 and its between the RAM 1500 and the F150 for me.
Toyota Tundra is the truck you're looking for...

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PJ73 what's the overall length of your Tundra? I can't find a straight answer on toyota.com - they give identical lengths for the double cab and the crew max. I was considering a Taco a few years back, and had to settle for the quick purchase of my F150. I usually keep the truck up north, but I'd like to be able to fit it in my garage if I have to bring it into town for the week, if the need arises. I thought a Tundra might be too long for my garage, hence the thought of the Taco. Looking at what I've got now, if a Tundra wouldn't fit in the garage, I'd buy another GX470 or 460, it actually has a higher tow rating than the Taco's and I could easily seat 5-7.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@PJ73 what's the overall length of your Tundra? I can't find a straight answer on toyota.com - they give identical lengths for the double cab and the crew max. I was considering a Taco a few years back, and had to settle for the quick purchase of my F150. I usually keep the truck up north, but I'd like to be able to fit it in my garage if I have to bring it into town for the week, if the need arises. I thought a Tundra might be too long for my garage, hence the thought of the Taco. Looking at what I've got now, if a Tundra wouldn't fit in the garage, I'd buy another GX470 or 460, it actually has a higher tow rating than the Taco's and I could easily seat 5-7.
What's wrong with the f150?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was a stopgap at the time, it's showing its age now. Common issues to this model - needed brake lines replaced last year, shocks are sitting in the cab awaiting replacement, and I think the Gem module needs replacing, but it may be fine if I can ever find the time to test it out. If it's salvageable, then I would need to reseal the windshield (common cause of this issue) and it'd be fine for another 100k.

Nothing in particular, just a lot of little things, and it's just a regular cab, so taking anyone other than the wife presents a problem. it's a perfectly serviceable tow vehicle for the half-hour Drive to where the storage place is, but I would never rely on this thing as a daily driver until I could take a look at the gem module.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would say 18' 6" on my 2017 crew max.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I towed my 2018 242x around for one season with my 2009 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 4x4. It had the v8 and no had tow package. It was rated at 5500 tow lbs. it was not enough. I mainly towed it around folsom lake and not cal. When I drove to lake Shasta and most definitely Lake Tahoe the suburban was over loaded. The 242x weighs 5700 on the trailer with gas.

I ended up getting a 2018 Yukon xl Denali. It’s rated to tow 8500 lbs. it is set up way better to tow.

I broke two motor mounts on the suburban towing. The brakes were going, it wasn’t safe to me.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Tundra has a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs, 5.7L at about 390 hp, 405 ft lbs torque and a 4:30 rear end. Oh, she can tow.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All while getting at like 4 gallons to the mile! :p

I liked my Tundra, but the mileage was atrocious. She was a beast though.