• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

7.3L F250

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone drove one with the new big gasser? Seems like a great powerplant, designed for long term reliability and durability as well as torque. Wish it was offered in f150, but might be enough to warrant stepping up to f250.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Anyone drove one with the new big gasser? Seems like a great powerplant, designed for long term reliability and durability as well as torque. Wish it was offered in f150, but might be enough to warrant stepping up to f250.
Not really answering your question... but I’ve had 2 half ton Rams over the years (liked them both - ‘95 and ‘02) and now have an ‘11 F250. I don’t see myself going back to a half ton for a long time. For my use of hauling the boat or atv trailer plus the family on trips and occasional mulch/rock/whatever around home, I love it!! Just feels so much heavier and stable.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Getting a little misty eyed thinking about all the great American diesel manufacturers...International, Caterpillar, John Deere, GM (Detroit Diesel).

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's always better to have too much power and torque than not enough. Been pulling heavy travel trailers and boats with our 04 PSD 4x4 Excursion for the last 16 years. Even with a heavier platform you know your towing 10-11K when going through the mountains at higher elevations. Over the years we had it bullet proofed, added a 140 amp alternator, high performance turbo charger, custom towing tune and oil and coolant bypass systems and filters. Runs better now than when it was brand new and zero turbo lag.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Is the 6.2L gas still offered? Mine in a F250 was great pulling a 7000lbs travel trailer, doing about 10 to 12 USMPG.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the 6.2L gas still offered? Mine in a F250 was great pulling a 7000lbs travel trailer, doing about 10 to 12 USMPG.
It is, the new 7.3 is an upgrade engine over the 6.2, around 2 grand. Still sad they dropped the 6.2 from f150 before they switched to the new Gen.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
7.3 gas in a F-150 would be awesome. I would gladly trade my ECOBOOST for the 7.3.

norm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes,I bought one! Tons of power and love the 10 spd transmission. Cant even tell my 23 ft boat is back there. So far fuel mileage is 15-16 w/o towing, but I can live with that as it was expected. This truck is all about smiles per gallon as it is my retirement truck :)

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ram”s 6.4 HEMI in their 3/4 tons isn’t bad. The best thing now is the 8-10 Speeds behind these HD trucks with gas motors, with a decent rear end gear, makes for a pleasant truck.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ram”s 6.4 HEMI in their 3/4 tons isn’t bad. The best thing now is the 8-10 Speeds behind these HD trucks with gas motors, with a decent rear end gear, makes for a pleasant truck.
Don't tell that to GM as if you buy the 6.6 gas you still get a 6 speed. LOL, give them a few more years I guess. Come out with a impressive new engine and then you give the diesel the new 10 speed but not the new motor. Just another GM failure.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
'19 Ford 150 10-Speed..too much shifting up and down..its annoying rather have the 6-speed back. Luckily its a lease...

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
'19 Ford 150 10-Speed..too much shifting up and down..its annoying rather have the 6-speed back. Luckily its a lease...
What rear end do you have? What motor? This is the first I have heard of this. I have a 10 speed in my 2017 F-150 with the 3.5 ECOBOOST and a 3.55 rear end. I have not experienced the excessive shifting, on occasion I do get a hard down shift but that is my only complaint.

Last edited:

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The 2.7 L with the 3.55, I'll have them check it out next time I'm in for service my buddy works at the dealer. It just seems to shift too much, although it probably doesn't help I have it on the dash displaying all 10 gears..It could be me I'm very sensitive to it..I worked on ships as an mechanic in the Coast Guard..I proabably notice too much.,,haha

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dad has one of those, it feels like a gigantic truck. If they'd just drop that motor into the 1500 instead of the stupid hybrid stuff I'd go buy one.