• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

76' Omega 21 Daycruiser w/ olds 455 value?

dutchbrown

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey all, little story...

Not a boat person, at least that I've never owned a boat (I do like them, just have other money sinks lol).
But... Inherited a 1976 Omega 21 Daycruiser jet boat with the old 455 rocket engine which had been in storage for years.
Also had others that had tried to mess with it and screwed up some wiring etc.
Spent the summer as a side project trying to get it all running, and was successful after new fuel pump, intake gasket, plugs, wires, distributor, carb cleaning, battery, timing sprockets/chain/seal, harmonic balancer, etc. Fixed the critical wiring (lights and accessories still need to be done.)
When it runs well it runs awesome, sounds great. However it doesn't consistently run well, when I hook up the alternator and will get a "rubbing noise" which seems like the crankshaft (yes I'm providing water to engine and impeller and not running for a long time)
Assuming it's a bearing issue.... which isn't a huge PITA assuming you have an engine lift and stand... which I do not and do not have room to buy and store.

And I'm now running out of my enthusiasm to take on the restoration project, especially given it's getting cold here in MN. :)

So, I'm trying to figure out what the boat is even worth and how best to "sell" (parting out vs whole, timing, etc) esp given it's condition, being a classic, etc.
I know the 455 engine is highly desirable (edelbrock intake & carb).
Would appreciate help in trying to figure this all out from the experts!

• 455 olds motor, rebuilt ~8ish yrs ago
  • Edelbrock intake and carb
  • Stainless bow rail
  • Had a nice double axle trailer which had been repainted a few years ago. (Towed back from Seattle to Minneapolis with no issues.)
  • Tow tower (needs wiring/light install)
  • High end depth/fish finder w/ GPS (humminbird) with extra sensors and dock
  • Outer body is solid but certainly could use repainting. Has had some repairs.
  • Not quite sure on the jet assembly, need to dig into it a bit. Impeller spins freely. Redding Performance Marine on rear housing.
  • Needs some basic repair and restoration on outside. No windshield.
  • Had had the leather seating redone many years ago, acceptable. But needs to have some rework on the wood support structure (both front seats and rear bench)
  • boat floor needs some work, had a spot in front of the engine (under where rear bench would go) that needs to be cut out, replaced with new fiberglass.
  • Steering mechanicals, including reverse deflector, and throttle cables work.
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Dutch

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm confused,

Are you and the boat in MN ?

I would say a non functional boat of 1976 vintage is probably worthless. I love old stuff but that hideous tower, no windshield (can't guess the cost to get one of those customs made) and list of issues to fix (or continue to diagnose) to me wipes out any "classic" value.

I would try to part it out although that will probably also be time consuming and difficult,

dutchbrown

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, the boat and I are in MN. It was originally in Sea, not use in salt water tho.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@dutchbrown, looking at the picture I would guess that the trailer is worth more than the boat. The tower might be worth a few hundred.

The greatest value would likely come from fixing her up and enjoying some time on the water. Sales value would increase as well.