• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

8 Months Of Life With A 2021 Yamaha SX 195

Johnboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The plastic can be cut and shaped with woodworking tools.
[Jigsaw, table saw, palm sander, bench sander, drill press, countersink, etc.]
The forstner bit is a must have so you can have the top of the bolts perfectly flush with the top of the mount.

This is a crazy - measure twice, stop, think, measure again, stop, think, then drill or cut.
Small pilot holes first - then the forstner bit.
Keep thinking about what is up and what is down and how the actual motor mount is attached.

If I did it again or do it again I'd probably set it at an angle so you have room at least on one side of it when it is in the raised position.

I used some wooden dowel same diameter as the plastic for fit and angles so not to waste the good stuff.

You may notice I added some marine epoxy to add some strength.

I tracked down some oversize/fender washers for underneath.
I had to grind them down just a little for a snug fit in the holes on top.

If I was out after dark somewhere busy I'd snag a battery operated nav light to stick on top but not really a problem for us.

My neighbor is the SC Minkota dealer/repair shop so he helped me out a little along the way. He fixed us up with a loaner to get us through this year and now I have a brand new one still in the box for 2022.

For those of you thinking about using it for what I am (not fishing but steering control) the remote control is pretty awesome and the GPS anchor is pretty handy when just "hanging out" but not swimming/in the water.

Anyway - hope that helps some folks out.
I'll be around if you have any questions.
John
Awesome job! I am a carpenter by trade so I have all the tools and the skill set, Just need to order the plastic parts. I think Im going to try mounting mine off center to the left of the bow on an angle. Like you suggested, I too would like the trolling motor to rest out of the bow area when its stowed. Thanks a million for the photos. This helped me vision a good place to start.

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome job! I am a carpenter by trade so I have all the tools and the skill set, Just need to order the plastic parts. I think Im going to try mounting mine off center to the left of the bow on an angle. Like you suggested, I too would like the trolling motor to rest out of the bow area when its stowed. Thanks a million for the photos. This helped me vision a good place to start.
You are most welcome.
I'll be here if you need me.
Actually I have a bunch of the battery quick connects - PM me your address and I'll toss a few in the mail.
John

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Just pulled our 2021 Yamaha SX 195 out of the water after our first spring and summer. So I now have about eight months of experience with it.

I thought I had done my homework and did all I could to research the boat before buying it. I went as far as a Google search, “10 things I hate about my Yamaha SX 195” and all I found were positive, yet somewhat limited, reports.

So with that said, once we are out on open water (Lake Hartwell in SC/GA) or when we are anchored in a nice cove swimming off the back I love this boat.

She is fast, stable and smooth on open water and handles great at speed. The 19.5 size is great for a lake this size handling all but the worst waves with relative ease.

At any time between open water and anchored it’s not what I would call a loving relationship and I have not found its design to be user friendly or intuitive.

Thoughts on ownership in no particular order:

First thing I did was I add the “thrust vector” kit which helped, but certainly doesn’t make you feel comfortable in tight areas. How these boats are allowed to be sold as they are is beyond me. I find the complete lack of steering response at low speed frightening as can be. [Admittedly I grew up with smaller outboards.]

I ended up fabricating a mount and installing a trolling motor on it so I could navigate out of our very tight slip, shallow access and (safely) get through the no-wake zone at the marina. The trolling motor (when raised) basically takes up the bow area of the boat. Complete motor package was over $1000 and I have to haul a battery to the boat every time we take it out.

I’m 5’ 11” and the factory seat height could not have been worse. I found sitting on the bolster extremely uncomfortable and when it was lowered it cuts into the back of your legs. I ended up figuring out how to pull off the flip up seat bolster/riser and switched to a 12” pedestal so I’m not staring directly at the windshield cowling.

Fuel usage is IMO high. A mid-throttle single 25 mile run up and down the lake 12.5/12.5 and say goodbye to 10 gallons and $50.

I’d gladly trade the bow cushion fillers and the ridiculous table and table mount for some better compartment storage and a true dry locker of some kind.

Not sure why it came with a cooler but no place designed for it?

It’s almost like the designers of the boat never actually spent a day out on the water with it?

I’ve added several loop straps and S-biners to hold seat cushions and vests on the deck. I use the bungee under the instrument cluster as a clothes line for small dry bags with things we want at hand but dry.

Anyway - would I buy another SX 195?
No
Am I happy with it?
Yeah
Do I love it?
No

I’m sure if it was parked behind my house in FL on a nice, quiet, wide lagoon I’d be in love. Keeping it at a marina is good but not great. How anyone could load and unload this thing at a busy ramp on a regular basis is beyond me.

Just my opinion.
Your results may vary.
John
I'm also a new boater, only half a season so far. I've had the not so pleasant task of launching my boat and returning to the dock by myself. First couple of times it was nerve racking to say the least. I learned not fight the current, and use it to help me. I will wait for the dock that has the current towards the dock. I tried the opposite and by the time I was ready to tie up the boat she drifted from the dock. I have a boat loop so I was able to grab her. The current should keep you against the dock until you tie off. Neutral is your friend too. Feather in and out of idle and neutral. I use one throttle for both engines when approaching any dock or slip. That way I don't get confused and screw up. I approach about 30-45 degrees depending on conditions. Obviously I have my fenders out in the pre-adjusted locations. When I have passengers, I have one up in the bow, and one at the stern with pole hooks or a pole loop. I'm not proud. I don't let myself be pressured or embarrassed. #1 priority is not to F my boat up. Nothing else matters. I don't power my boat off or on my trailer. I use dock lines to feed her off and on the trailer. I have guide posts, and they make it easy. Once the bow is in, she won't drift off. I have a twin engine and I did install thrust vectors. Big difference. I also ordered the 2.0 lateral thrusters, so the should help too. It gets better with time.

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Getting some good feedback on this post.
Now I'm actually looking forward to spring so I can practice with the wake mode setting.
Funny - someone just moved in to the docks next to ours with a SX21 and he just happened to be pulling in as I was leaving.
Clearly had it in wake mode and although far from smooth - he did get it in the slip.
Had a nice chat and he gave me some tips.

Best of all we were able to grab a slip that is the last one on the dock and pretty much a straight shot to and from open water.
Our last one (same dock) was around a very tight turn in very shallow water with zero room to maneuver.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I find the complete lack of steering response at low speed frightening as can be. [Admittedly I grew up with smaller outboards.]
Jet boats do handle differently. Tendency is to oversteer and not anticipate ... practice in open water . I just throw a lifejacket in the water and get the wife/daughter to practice manoeuvring. With a bit of practice, most people find them much more manoeuvrable than an outboard. Keep the red tab inthe throttle lever pulled in and smoothly move between fwd and rev, using throttle to maintain thrust.

I ended up fabricating a mount and installing a trolling motor on it so I could navigate out of our very tight slip, shallow access and (safely) get through the no-wake zone at the marina.
Awesome! Would love to see pictures.

Fuel usage is IMO high. A mid-throttle single 25 mile run up and down the lake 12.5/12.5 and say goodbye to 10 gallons and $50.
Yup.... full throttle is about the same consumption as a Yamaha F250, but jet boats tend to use the top 75% of rpm, so they do use more gas on average.

Not sure why it came with a cooler but no place designed for it?
In our 2019 ar195, the cooler can be secured behind the driver's seat, or placed under the seat that contains the battery tray? It also fits in the storage compartment under the windshield....

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pictures of the motor mount and a brief description are within the thread.