• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

93 Jazz Sport Jet

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Hey Everyone!

I am new to the forum! Been reading through posts a little while. Seems like some great information here.

I randomly ended up getting a 93 Bayliner Jazz to run around in the rivers in my area. Seems like it will be a fun little boat! I don't know much about it other than what I have been able to google.

The engine runs perfect, its amazing! I want to keep it that way
. So my first question is how should I properly winterize the boat? It will be kept in my garage during the winter so it won't be below 50 degrees.

The second question I have is how to mix the gas for the Merc 90? The only 2 stroke water craft I have owned mixed themselves through a separate oil tank. How are you supposed to mix 15 gallons of gas at once? Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance for any help or recommendations!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I believe those had an oil tank and oil pump unless someone removed them , if so you put 3 to 4 oz of 2 stroke oil in per gallon of fuel and you don't do a lot for winterizing them since the block self drains it is a outboard engine bolted to a jet pump with regular float and bowl carbs so just run them empty do not leave fuel sitting in them .

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Thanks for the reply! I actually just got my hands on a manual and it seems that there was no oil pump in the 93'. Just have to mix the gas in before you pour it in.

How bad of an idea is it to add the proper amount of oil for 10 gallons directly to tank and then pump 10 gallons of gas in? Tank capacity is 15 gallons.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can mix it that way but when I used to do so for my older PWCs I would just put the proper amount of oil in 5 gallon fuel containers, fill the containers and use them to refuel the PWCs. You may be able to get an oil measuring container from a power sports shop for less than $10.

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Ok good to know! And yeah I see the 5 gallon tank and mixing it at the pump, that will work fine. The boat will be on a dock during the summer so its kinda a pain to drag 15 gallons of mixed gas down. Not THAT big of a pain though if I just do a trip every time. We also spend a week out on a lake where the nearest car-gas station is 45 minutes away so it would be nice to just put some oil in @ the dock gas station and fill it up.

Here is a photo I got of it.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Tyler Fouche - great boat and so nostalgic. I am having a hard time seeing the front/bow and whether that is a floor or where people would sit. Checking google now

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
wow!! that's a boat! I bet those hand straps get good use, and the tiny steering wheel, you should replace it with a chain and be a real low rider

upload_2016-10-7_12-38-47.jpeg

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
@4x15mph Yeah I am not sure how well it would work for an adult to sit up there haha! My kids will love it. @Scottintexas The steering wheel is laughably small, and it only turns about 120 degrees from far left to far right, should make for some interesting handling characteristics. The chains not a terrible idea, and with all the clearance on the trailer I could low ride the trailer to complete the effect :).

I am going to try to take it out this weekend to see how it does.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I want to give you a heads up on the force engine I was not going to say anything but I would feel bad if your brain wen out and you spent the money for a new one just to have it blow the second you turn off the engine. Rather than go into the why and how-come of the issue I will just give you some advice on how to prevent the issue in the first place, and do not let people tell you just change to the newer stator because that won't rectify the issue I can tell you from experience and you can choose to heed my advice or not. On your rectifier there are 3 field wires YELLOW wires, the housing is ground and the red wire goes to the battery providing a charge from the stator A rectifier changes ac to dc, there is where the name rectifier comes from.
On the red wire you need to install a relay switch that is wired to the ignition in a way that when the key is on the relay is allowing power from the charging system to the battery to charge it and this relay needs to disconnect the stator from the battery when you turn off the ignition, I would also replace the factory rectifier with a jet ski voltage regulator from a used sea doo you will note they have the same 3 yellow and single red with a ground on the housing just like yours does and they work better, and have far less issues you can probably get one from a used jet ski parts place they will also prevent overcharging of the battery. Also if you choose not to take this advice and one day you are enjoying the boat but after shutting the engine off your engine will not fire. The brain went bad but you MUST replace the original rectifier before you ever start the engine with the new brain or it too will blow the second you turn off the engine. BOTTOM line, install a relay before you ever use the engine, because a bad rectifier is what blows the brains but only when the engine is turned off. Just a heads up from someone who tracked down the mystery personally and fixed the problem so it would not happen again after buying a new style stator and a couple of new brains for one I owned years ago.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oh the steering is just horrid in those but I still custom build systems for the 3 and 4 cylinder force jet pumps.

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Wow, thanks for the good advice. I have been reading about the stator/rectifier problems. I will start collecting parts to do the work this winter. Lot's of garage time when there is snow outside!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is real inexpensive to do it the way I said ,you can use a horn relay, there is only 6 amps total, 2 per yellow field wire , so most horn relays can carry that with ease or you can buy a small riding lawn mower starter relay at any big hardware store like home depot to isolate the positive wire to the battery when the engine is turned off.
As for the jet ski voltage regulator I even use those to replace the old style electrolytic capacitors on the real old outboard engines and it works just great since a regulator rectifies and regulates the voltage at high speed to save the battery, some stators put out over 17 volts at higher speeds and
hurt a battery pretty easily . The regulator keeps it at 14 volts.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Actually it looks like there is already a voltage regulator there so all you really need to do is add a relay switch in the red line to disconnect that from the battery when the ignition is turned off, this will prevent any D C current from going past it and into the stator while the flywheel is still turning when the ignition is turned off that is when the damage happens . The rectifier is supposed to prevent power from traveling back to the field windings think of it as a one way door only allowing the A C current to travel to the battery in pulses but if it goes bad ,D C current will go back through it and charge that set of windings with a magnetic field this creates a bastard charge in the other windings next to the field windings had they shielded those windings this would not happen those windings are for the ignition and the entire value changes causing the brain to blow, well that is the simplified version any way but you really don't need to know anything other than it's black magic.

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Thanks for the information! Seems like a fun and easy project for the winter! How can you tell that it already has a voltage regulator?

I was able to get the boat out this weekend and it works awesome! Wasn't really sure what to expect but it works great. Shot a couple clips.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I can see it in your picture

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Right yeah, is it the big box? I thought the box was the rectifier? All I see is the fuse and the rectifier.