• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

93 Jazz SportJet 90 intermittent power loss

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Hey Everyone!

I have a 93 Bayliner Jazz that I ran all summer of 17 and it finally fried its electrical in the fall. I replaced the following to keep it going another summer:

• New CDI Stator (174-8778K1)
• New CDI Switch Box (114-4953)
• New CDI Trigger (134-7029-3)
• New CDI Rectifier (194-5279)

After wiring it up the boat fired and ran instantly after sitting all winter. I was pretty shocked as im not that mechanically inclined ha.

I launched the boat to make sure all was well and it ran better than it ever has for about 30 mins. I was able to hold 38mph WOT and it planes easily (I do have trim tabs which helps, but it was really moving).

After the 30 mins it started cutting in and out suddenly losing about 1/2 its power when cutting out. It never dies, it suddenly runs out of power.

It still runs extremely smooth even at reduced power, no sputtering, popping, backfiring etc. It still starts instantly, just no power after 25% throttle. Then occasionally it will kick back to full power for about 5 seconds then back to reduced power. I can't figure out what is going on, Fouled plug? Fuel line? Did I hook up the electrical wrong and a connection is breaking once in a while? Thanks in advance!

The engine has 120,140,140 compression in the cylinders when cold. I hooked up a spark plug light to each cylinder and its firing great. I don't really know what i'm doing or what to look for but its fun and easy to work on if I have some direction!

Attachments

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check the fuel pump.
You could try pumping the primer if equipped.
Mine would run and then slow and then stop.
It would restart and then run OK at reduced power.
A fuel pressure gauge would be a help.

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Ok, I finally found some time to work on the boat.... I tested all the electrical with my multimeter and only the stator seemed off. The resistance was normal but the voltage was only 4 volts. So I popped the flywheel off and found that one of the stator magnets was shattered and a lot of the pieces were missing. So my question is. . . where do I get new magnets? I have looked on ebay, google, marine shops and only found whole new fly wheel assemblies. There has to be a place to get just the magnets right? Any ideas?

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Here is the flywheel with the broken magnet.

Attachments

Tyler Fouche

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Also, @RedBarron55 I checked the pump and its pumping great. I dont have a gauge but its really squirting good when I pop a fuel line. Thanks for the suggestion!