• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'97 Tango Not Starting w/o water hose attached

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
OK, I'll try to do this in an organized order:
  1. Boat on land, with water hose attached. Cranks no problem
  2. Boat in water, starts and drive for 30 minutes to destination. Turn off everything but, battery is in on position. After about 40 minutes boat will not crank and battery is dead. Tow of shame to marina.
  3. Take boat for repair. Carbs gummed and a small fuel leak and batteries should be replaced.
  4. Carbs are cleaned and leak repaired by marine mechanic.
  5. Put boat in water, won't start. Batteries dies.
  6. Buy new 625CCA starting batteries.
  7. Next day boat cranks (1 or 2 squeezes of fuel primer bulb) and go to marina for fuel. Fill tank. Won't crank. Batteries die.
  8. Return new 625CCA batteries.
  9. Purchase 1000MCA Staring Battery and 685 Deep Cycle Battery (1 for starting and switch to other for running)
  10. Boat still in water with new batteries. Squeeze fuel bulb 3 times. Won't crank.
  11. Put boat in neutral and move throttle to 1/4... won't crank. Kind of a strong smell of fuel.
  12. Check new Batteries with new charger/tester. New batteries are at about 45% - Charge Each One.
  13. Cranking but no running.
I'm on vacay trying to get this guy operable before I head out next weekend. Any help would be appreciated..

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Judging from the fuel smell, Its probably flooded now, need to pull plugs and dry them or let it sit overnight. Maybe needs new plugs if you dont know when they were last changed. Also sounds like you either have an excessive key-off draw or a weak/bad charging system.

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I just spoke with the shop that cleaned the carbs and fixed the fuel leak. They thought the problem might be the water pump not cooling properly. Since it starts when cold but not when hot.
I didn't realize these boats had a water pump that needs to be serviced. What/where is this part and does the engine have to be removed for this service??

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
The only water pumps on board are the jet drive, bilge and the washdown pump if that option is installed on your model under the front seat in front of the helm seat.
Engine coolant is provided by the jet pump. It could be restricted or blocked cooling passages in the engine itself but the good news here is there is no separate water pump for engine cooling.
Best of luck and please keep us posted as to how you get on.

Last edited:

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Update:
Engine is running great! I am getting close to 4600RPM it is starting cold, warm, hot.
I learned:
1. Where the manual choke is located.
2. My engine compression is very good.
3. One of my Fuel pumps is disconnected.
4. It is VERY difficult to flood these engines.
5. Cruising at 3000 RPM's is great with a dog on board
6. Small towns in the South have fantastic mechanics at insane cheap prices.

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Congratulations!
Hopefully you still have some vacation time still to get out and enjoy it!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Let the dog drive while you kick back and have a well deserved beer.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good to hear!