• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

98 GP 1200 wont shut off.

slammer1200gp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
unplugged everything and i mean everything including plug wires. kinked fuel line to stop it. some say small vacuum leak in the intake will cause this. anyone have any ideas?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If it was still running without spark then it was dieseling. What was your temps?

slammer1200gp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
If it was still running without spark then it was dieseling. What was your temps?
Ok here is the story. Ive been after this ski since last September and guy finally decided to sell it. For the year its in excellent condition with low hours on rebuilt engine. Now when i bought it he said it lost spark and would need CDI box. So i took cover off the power unit and seen ground wire was off the lug for the coils. So after fixing that i decided to put a battery in it and try it, well starter made this awful grinding sound so i decided to pull cover and what i found was a nightmare. The crankshaft bolt was laying in cover and flywheel was cocked on shaft the stator was destroyed. So all was replaced right down to the key way. So now its start time so got it ready to start for the first time since i bought it and it started right up but rpm's rised quickly and nothing would shut it down. So it didnt run long enough to check temps and dont want to fire it up again incase it does same thing but it ran high but yet smooth with absolutely no electronics or plug wires. Im sure if i wouldn't have pinched fuel line it would still be running out there.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah this happens to 2 stroke motors if it runs lean. When this happens don't pull the spark plug wires. Pull the throttle to wide open and partially cover the intake with your hand (this will 'choke' the motor and dump fuel). First thing you need to do is check the check valve on the gas tank, air should only flow one way. There shouldn't be a lot of air in the fuel lines.

Since the motor was worked on, I can almost guarantee that you have an air leak in the motor somewhere. Visually inspect all the gaskets, and the crankshaft seals. If visually it looks good then you need to do an airleak test on the motor.