• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hot Restart Issue.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oddly this reminds me of the issues people have when using ballast for wake surfing, I surmised that the one engine on the low side had too much back pressure and it could not start due to that so I suggested that people try starting the high side engine first and then move forward and try the low side because the forward movement would lessen the exhaust back pressure there are posts on this and oddly enough the low side engine started every time they moved the boat forward and I suspect you may have some exhaust flow back pressure issues like a broken baffle in the muffler or sand etc. Here is one of the threads https://jetboaters.net/threads/hot-start-issues-212x-with-8-hours.14204/#post-245195

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine does this as well (2016 AR240). Never both engines - always just one.

I don't know why this seems to work, but what I do is use the running motor to slowly pull forward then start the other one.

It almost always works. I have no idea mechanically why this would make a difference.
We had this happen on our 242, only while surfing as well. I assumed it was heat, so if one started, I would idle it up and I assumed it was forcing water through the other engines cooling system, and cooling it down enough to allow it to start.

This was my own logical assumption as so many folks feared driving their boats with one engine, or being towed, as the water is being forced through the motor. When surfing, it is so common to kill the engines quickly, not allowing them to cool down. As with tubing or wakeboarding, we have to make a bigger loop to pick up our downed riders. Surfing, it's a quick loop and engines off. That engine has minimal cool down coming off load before shutting them off. Most prop boats, you would go neutral and the water keeps pumping.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
FWIW, I read an article about ethanol fuel last night that talked about how ethanol fuel used in boats can get very loaded with water as ethanol bonds instantly with water and can lead to vapor lock.

This is a very hotly debated topic and worth addressing, but doesn't apply to the OP's question. The two biggest things wrong with this article, is the term "older" when referring to boats and engines in particular. And the amount of usage.

Anyone with a boat built in the last 20 years has a motor that can burn ethanol, if not older. Older, may refer to much older, but it's a relative term, as old does not apply to each model brand or type of engine at all. Way too many variables to make that general statement and maintain integrity.

How quickly does the fuel get used. Honestly, if you are burning a tank of fuel in your boat twice a month, that fuel will never sit long enough to attract enough water to cause damage. And even then, the variable of humity and a sealed fuel system counters that notion. My SXS is tuned for 86 and ethanol, and I burn more fuel through that weekly than my truck. I should worry about it more than the SXS, and it can burn E85!

I won't even give my boat a second thought when it comes to ethanol If it did, I would treat it like any other engine in the fleet and not worry about it.

That story applies to the few that buy a boat, put on a full tank of fuel and use it once a month. That fuel will get stale and attract moisture. Either run that boat, treat it, or sell it.

ReelFishingSWFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How many RPM do these 1.8L HO need to crank? Mine is spinning 200 RPM seems low. Maybe I have a bad starter and I’m not getting enough RPM to start the injectors. I was told 600 RPM is what’s needed.

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had this happen on our 242, only while surfing as well. I assumed it was heat, so if one started, I would idle it up and I assumed it was forcing water through the other engines cooling system, and cooling it down enough to allow it to start.

This was my own logical assumption as so many folks feared driving their boats with one engine, or being towed, as the water is being forced through the motor. When surfing, it is so common to kill the engines quickly, not allowing them to cool down. As with tubing or wakeboarding, we have to make a bigger loop to pick up our downed riders. Surfing, it's a quick loop and engines off. That engine has minimal cool down coming off load before shutting them off. Most prop boats, you would go neutral and the water keeps pumping.
This does make sense. I will say mine sometimes does it after towing then anchoring for lunch (engines off for 1 hr +). It's weird. Sometimes won't do it the entire day. Others multiple times.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is a very hotly debated topic and worth addressing, but doesn't apply to the OP's question. The two biggest things wrong with this article, is the term "older" when referring to boats and engines in particular. And the amount of usage.

Anyone with a boat built in the last 20 years has a motor that can burn ethanol, if not older. Older, may refer to much older, but it's a relative term, as old does not apply to each model brand or type of engine at all. Way too many variables to make that general statement and maintain integrity.

How quickly does the fuel get used. Honestly, if you are burning a tank of fuel in your boat twice a month, that fuel will never sit long enough to attract enough water to cause damage. And even then, the variable of humity and a sealed fuel system counters that notion. My SXS is tuned for 86 and ethanol, and I burn more fuel through that weekly than my truck. I should worry about it more than the SXS, and it can burn E85!

I won't even give my boat a second thought when it comes to ethanol If it did, I would treat it like any other engine in the fleet and not worry about it.

That story applies to the few that buy a boat, put on a full tank of fuel and use it once a month. That fuel will get stale and attract moisture. Either run that boat, treat it, or sell it.
I have had my boat sit with ethonal fuel and only half a tank in Miami for 6 months and have never had an issue with moisture so the ability to pull moisture out of the air is slim to none.

I think most people with water in ethonal fuel is usually a result of purchasing from station that way or some other direct contact with water method.