• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

a better anchor !!?!?

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone swap out the puny fluke anchor for a better one that actually holds you in place when you beach up ? .. thanks

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Fortress FX-7. 6’ of chain and 5:1 rode.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone swap out the puny fluke anchor for a better one that actually holds you in place when you beach up ? .. thanks
How much rope are you letting out with your fluke? (More=better holding) Is there any chain on the lead?
I use a 5lb fluke with 4’ of chain and it holds no problem in sand, gravel & mud. For the $16 it cost me I’m very pleased with it.

JetboatDrvr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought the Mantus M1 8lb. I could never get my fluke to stay set. It would always set and then release which made it even more annoying. The bad on the Mantus is when it digs into the mud, it can take some effort to get it to release. Worth it!

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Small box anchor. 2:1 scope.
with wind and waves I would get a little slippage on that setup...even with going to a 3:1 scope. I added about 7-8 feet of chain to it and it holds perfect.

on the 24 footer, cut a piece or rebar to the length of the holders in the locker. Paint the rebar to keep it from rusting, and the anchor will fold and hang off the anchor in there perfect.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I use a box anchor. It holds even in strong currents and wake.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Throw it out and forget it - my boat doesn’t move an inch.

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought the Mantus M1 8lb. I could never get my fluke to stay set. It would always set and then release which made it even more annoying. The bad on the Mantus is when it digs into the mud, it can take some effort to get it to release. Worth it!
and does it fit the anchor locker ?

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
is it worth it to trade the weight of 13lbs fluke for 8lb mantus ?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have relegated my 8lb anchor to stern duty and replaced it on the bow with a 4lb FX-7 as a light anchor, and keeping my 13lbs Mantus that fits under the front seat. The FX-7 has held well 2/2 so far, first day was yesterday. 13lbs Mantus is a beast in all floors and grabs awesome. the 8lb does not grab at one of my most visited spots, not sure why. Both FX-7 and 13lbs will grab there very well.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very happy with our box anchor. Drop it over the side, let out 2X depth in rope. Sticks like velcro.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Box anchor, your boat will be the envy of all those who keep drifting around you. I think I have the small (2nd size up, $130) which holds my 24’ like cement.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep, the "small" box anchor is more than sufficient for these boats, IMO. It's still 25 pounds and the design is such that it essentially becomes one with the lake bottom.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the “small” box anchor as well and it held my 23’ most of the summer and my new (to me) 24’ yesterday like a champ.

I would recommenf the Slide Anchor brand of box anchors - if they’re in stock:

I had the Slide Anchor brand on my 23’ and the quality is better than the SeaChoice model I just got for my 24’. The guy who bought my 23’ liked the anchor so I threw it in on the deal. When I tried to order a new one from SlideAnchor it was back ordered so I ordered the SeaChoice. It was cheaper than the Slide Anchor version, and it worked the same, but the build quality isn't as good.

The only drawback is the box anchor does not fit in the anchor locker - at least it doesn’t on an 06‘ SX230 and 15’ 242 Limited S.

Last edited:

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
My experience is that most anchor problems are not the anchor but rather the weight and length of rode. Not sure how new you are to boating so you may already know this.
Rode is the components of the anchor system that connect the anchor to the boat.
Scope is the ratio of rode compared to the depth of the water.
Some guys swear by a set scope ratio (2:1 on the low 10:1 on the high side). They can all be right in the right conditions. What really matters is in what direction is your anchor being pulled. With a 2:1 scope (2’ of rode for each foot of water depth) you will be pulling the anchor up at a 30° angle. With a 10:1 scope you will be pulling up at a roughly a 6° angle. At 6° there is very very little upward movement of the anchor shackle and if you add a foot of chain for each foot of boat length (5/16 chain weighs about a pound per foot) now your boat has to lift X lbs. before getting to the 6°. The weight and direction amplified the weight, but I’m not sure of the ratio by which it does. This weight is great for cushioning the waves/wakes/chop.
I have a 212x which has two bimini tops that act like sails in the wind, combine that with choppy water and guys ignoring the no wake zones, I have to drop a minimum of 6:1 with 9’ of chain on a smaller danforth anchor AND a small box anchor at the bow in really grassy bottoms and then I use a slide anchor attached to the transom to the shore. A sandy bottom will hold with less, or a less windy day. A calm cove and I can get away with 3:1 with just one and a medium rock set on the line on the shore. I have also had to go to almost 10:1 when I was forced to be broadside to a fairly strong consistent wind.
The best thing to do is learn the conditions and the why behind what works.
Every one has an opinion about why their anchor sucks or is the bee’s knees.

A rode heavy enough and long enough will allow any anchor to hold fast.
A rode to short lets you go, a long rode keeps you.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@3 green tornados
THIS! A lot of people complain about danforths not holding, but you need to follow the rules of length vs depth.

I bought a very light Fortress anchor which weighs just 4 lbs for the anchor locker or our new boat. It's very light to get out and toss over, but when set properly it holds like a 20 lbs anchor.

Had to add a couple small rubber bumpers with stainless screws as the model I bought is about an inch shorter than I thought and would slide around in the keepers. Now it doesn't move at all. Also added a $7 PVC "door" mat to dampen the chain and keep the shank from banging around on the hull in the locker. Works great and boat is silent over the waves.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Another vote for a Fortess anchor. I should’ve bought that as soon as I got the boat. The regular fluke anchor had me wanting to sink the entire boat at times. The Fortress? Perfect every single time, even when the tide changes it resets itself. It is awesome.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Fortress FX7 for me. has never let go in the 3 years i have had it.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For you guys that like the Fortress anchor, do you just throw it over the bow and forget it? It sets every time with no messing around?

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For you guys that like the Fortress anchor, do you just throw it over the bow and forget it? It sets every time with no messing around?
For me it does. Just need to ensure that you have 6' of chain and you let out enough rod.... The other good thing about it is it's aluminum and extremely light so my wife usually tosses it overboard and sets it