• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

a gallon of Oil leaked into hull

safetydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Hi fellow boaters.
My hull is full of injector oil and I can't find the fix.

I have a 2003 Seadoo Sportster LE. I bought it new, that year.
First trip the motor blew. Took 2 hours to tow me back. Called dealer..They told me it was a friday build. Sorry for your luck. :(
I've had it rebuilt again 6 years ago.
I love this little toy except it has continuous issues but.....it's a 13' boat that gets me up to 60 MPH on the water.
Yesterday I was headed out on the water but first I went to add oil (it's a Bombardier Rotax 947 2-stroke).
My oil reservoir was empty except for 1".
Then I noted all the oil is in the hull. All 9 liters pretty well.
I have searched the entire oil area. No sign of leakage. Reservoir and all connections clean. No oil trails where it could be running.
Even the line that goes down under the engine to the filter appears intact.
I know there is more line to the oil injection entry point but I can't see that area.
I know this boat has to go to a shop to repair. (I'm no handyman, I'm a paramedic)
Any suggestions on how to clean up this mess in my hull?
I's like to do it on the lift because it's an half hour TOW to get it on my trailer.
Long post...Sorry.
Dave

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for your trouble Dave. What are your plans after you clean out the oil on the lift? It may be better to first add more oil and find the leak. Losing all your oil may have you looking at the tow and trailer no matter what. It would be a lot easier to clean the hull out then (and safer for the environment). It would suck to clean it all up just to have another gallon drain into your freshly cleaned hull. Definitely need to catch the leak in action to know how bad the fix may be (loose line versus cracked block for example).

safetydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Sorry for your trouble Dave. What are your plans after you clean out the oil on the lift? It may be better to first add more oil and find the leak. Losing all your oil may have you looking at the tow and trailer no matter what. It would be a lot easier to clean the hull out then (and safer for the environment). It would suck to clean it all up just to have another gallon drain into your freshly cleaned hull. Definitely need to catch the leak in action to know how bad the fix may be (loose line versus cracked block for example).
Very wise advice indeed. The worst thing with these types of traumas is our rash reactions.
I'm on it tomorrow.

safetydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
To continue this saga....I have a broken brass barb on my tiny oil pump. (The barb the oil line connects to).
It snapped off where it meets the pump.
My mechanic has it out and searched for a week. Said they aren't available NEW anywhere he's searched.
He said he can find a used one on Ebay for @$100. US plus shipping.
He's not a fan of used because it's such an important unit.
I've got it now and my son said he wants to give it a go.
He said his buddy at work is a master welder when it comes to anything, including brass.
He will show it to him and see what he thinks.
Maybe you guys on here have connections for parts?
Please help.
Thank you.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any chance a new barb can be pressed in place? Threaded tube inserted? If they are not made anymore, I agree with your line of thought that repairing yours is likely better than a used one.

safetydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
I won't know for sure until Buddy gets a peak.
It's such a small pump and getting the broken end of the "pressed in" barb out may present an issue.
I'll keep things posted as they progress.

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Why don't you just get rid of the oil injection and do a premix instead?

safetydave

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Thanks for the constructive advice Anmut.
No worries.
My son tapped out the broken piece, welded it back together under guidance of his welder friend, pressed it back into place with some JB weld then soldered it in place. I think I'm good to go. Yahoo!