• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Access Behind Instruments 2008 Yamaha 212x

BradGoins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey guys,

The last owner had installed an amp behind the instrument gauges and I believe the amp doesn't work any longer. May question is what is the best way to get into this area to remove the amp?

I see the screws on the gray instrument gauge panel (depth finder, both rpms, speedometer, and gas gauge), is the best bet to remove these screw and access this area from the top instrument gauge area? If so, what should I look out for when accessing from this area.

The amp is mounted directly above the steering column so access from below is going to be tough.

Also if you guys recommend another location for the new amp which can be access easier I'm all ears.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The seat back in front of the helm should be removable. Take off the seat bottom and reach up behind the seat back for a couple screws that fasten the seat back on.

BradGoins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The seat back in front of the helm should be removable. Take off the seat bottom and reach up behind the seat back for a couple screws that fasten the seat back on.
I don't see how removing the seat back in the front is going to give me access to this area but I could be wrong. The amp is mounted on the steering wheel side of the wall. I'll take some photos later today to show you want I'm saying.

I would love if I could remove the seat back to get access, would make the job much easier.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I might be wrong, so hoping someone with a 2008 can chime in.
It looks like your front cushions are different than what I remembered (more wrap-around than more recent models). Maybe the screws to hold it in are tucked up under the bottom side of of it instead of behind it on that model? Regardless I'm sure that cushion is removable, and if it's anything like other models there will be a cut out behind the seat back with full access to the helm wiring.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can't say for sure but I believe the wall goes all the way up. I don't think it is accessible from the seat back.
@BradGoins if you take it apart please shoot pictures and do a write up.

BradGoins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@buckbuck will do, I will probably mess with it next week.

I have ordered a replacement radio (Fusion RA210) along with a replacement amp so will need to access the area somehow. I'll keep everyone posted.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@buckbuck will do, I will probably mess with it next week.

I have ordered a replacement radio (Fusion RA210) along with a replacement amp so will need to access the area somehow. I'll keep everyone posted.
I know this is a different model, year, and even line of boats. But this is what the front of my '17 AR190 looks like with the seat removed.

1618585991094.png

You have to "long arm" yourself to get to the two holes at the bottom there. They were studs sticking out from the back of the seat rest, thru those holes, and then held in place with wingnuts. Spun off by hand. Then lift bottom of seatback towards front of boat, then entire thing lifts upwards off the top "hooks" you see there.

I ended up cutting a hole in the wall to the right and adding a door to access that space. I highly recommend that if you don't have one there already

1618586143171.png 1618586166616.png

DaBanker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
2kwik4u what door did you purchase?? And is it the same dimensions as the port side? I like the idea! My port side is broken and needs replaced. I'd consider replacing both with this one.

I know this is a different model, year, and even line of boats. But this is what the front of my '17 AR190 looks like with the seat removed.

View attachment 147053

You have to "long arm" yourself to get to the two holes at the bottom there. They were studs sticking out from the back of the seat rest, thru those holes, and then held in place with wingnuts. Spun off by hand. Then lift bottom of seatback towards front of boat, then entire thing lifts upwards off the top "hooks" you see there.

I ended up cutting a hole in the wall to the right and adding a door to access that space. I highly recommend that if you don't have one there already

View attachment 147054 View attachment 147055