• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Access doors...

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have seen and read a few posts of folks cutting an access door on the driver console. Most everything I have seen is where people have bought off the shelf doors (usually seal tight) and installed them and they look out of place since they do not match the OEM style and are a sealed type vs. a non sealed type. With this, has anyone tried or looked into boatoutfitters.com? They have a custom section for starboard doors.. I am thinking of giving them a try on my 212 when I get it home. Just looking for anyone with any ecperience with them.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea..I get compliments on mine..looks factory!

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I saw that but don't care for the different door type and style for the X. The X doors are made from starboard and I want I keep the same style. The other advantage is I can keep it symmetrical to the OEM door right down to the latch.

Rideitout

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It looks like you could buy all the parts from Yamamha Sports Plaza to match the existing door but a quick look at the prices of the individual parts looks like it would total $600-$700+ dollars.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was looking down this route as well, until someone pointed out that when you use the exsisting door to block wind, where is locks into basically takes up most of the room on the driver console. So you'd either have to have a very small door, making it kinda pointless, or remove the strip it locks into, and no longer have a door to block the wind. Or I'm sure someone could come up with something different, but I let it die there in my search.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huh?...door blocking wind?
Not sure what boat you have. However, I can tell you the port access panel door (factory)...does not lock to block wind.

So, I'm confused

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Also, check for clearance of the ski locker door.

Rideitout

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
On the newer 21' boats, the port door is a bifold door that opens to fit into a channel on the starboard side for use as a windbreak. It's a nice feature when the weather is chilly. I think the 19' boats and the older boats don't have this.

Rideitout

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
On second look, I think you can get the whole door assembly for $282.79 from Yamaha Sports Plaza. Part "30" as shown in the picture. Does the starboard helm have the same space to be able to fit the door like the port side, though?

image.jpg

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I won't be buying the parts from Yamaha, that is a rip for what they charge for parts. I will verify the dimensions I need to keep the lock plate in tack on the drivers console and take as much advantage of available real-estate and have a custom door made. This was another concern about going with an off the shelf door, you could find doors tall enough but they are too wide and vice versa. This route will run less than $200 what they quoted me and when I do it I will post it up the info and pictures. The whole thing that got me looking got do this is the fact that the stereo is on the driver side on this boat and access is tight. An added benefit will be added storage which we never seem to have enough of.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the newer 21' boats, the port door is a bifold door that opens to fit into a channel on the starboard side for use as a windbreak. It's a nice feature when the weather is chilly. I think the 19' boats and the older boats don't have this.
Depends what you mean by "Older Boats".....I have that feature on my '04 and I'm pretty sure it began with the very first model in '03 and continued through '05 and maybe '06.
I also have a OEM starboard access door - probably exactly what @Englewoodcowboy is looking for. It lists for $228.89 at Yamaha Sports Plaza:

#2 on the parts diagram

canvas.png

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Englewoodcowboy I think once you get your 212 you will see that you can actually put stuff in that compartment from the front bow cushion. Just take it off and push whatever you want to store in there back. I think you will run into problems cutting in a door on that side because you would loose the other side's door-track thing for blocking the wind. If you are willing to loose that it can still be done if you find a door that will fit, it's not as wide as the other side's. Just eye-balling it, it doesn't look like the Yamaha part for the other side wouldn't fit on the helm side.

Also the problem with that area is the steering cables do take up quite a bit of usable space right in the middle of the floor. So you can push stuff to either side from the front, but it's not that deep of a compartment either. On my boat that's the spot for towels, so you can throw some extra towels in back, and the ones that get used are in front more accessible under the cushion. It's accessible, but great for things you don't need that often.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was looking down this route as well, until someone pointed out that when you use the exsisting door to block wind, where is locks into basically takes up most of the room on the driver console. So you'd either have to have a very small door, making it kinda pointless, or remove the strip it locks into, and no longer have a door to block the wind. Or I'm sure someone could come up with something different, but I let it die there in my search.
I saw this very issue today when I took delivery but it is easily fixed along with retaining full functionality. The starboard door will be a large opening and the strip the port door locks into will be remounted to the face of the starboard door. Only mod to the port door will be to take a fraction of an inch off of it to compensate for the new overall width.

I am primarily looking for better access to that area as it will eb where I mount my amps and secondary fuse panel. I want easy access to it for sure but I will do some serious thinking before hand and see how much room is in there when I pull the front seat back off for access.

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depends what you mean by "Older Boats".....I have that feature on my '04 and I'm pretty sure it began with the very first model in '03 and continued through '05 and maybe '06.
I also have a OEM starboard access door - probably exactly what @Englewoodcowboy is looking for. It lists for $228.89 at Yamaha Sports Plaza:

#2 on the parts diagram

View attachment 24278
Can you please provide the approximate dimensions of that factory door.
I found this part number ( F1C-U5708-00-00) but no way of knowing size. The STBD helm on the 190's is not as wide as the PORT side.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you please provide the approximate dimensions of that factory door.
I found this part number ( F1C-U5708-00-00) but no way of knowing size. The STBD helm on the 190's is not as wide as the PORT side.
I'll take a wild guess and say the door is about 10" wide and 12 -14" tall. I'll be out there next week and can get an exact measurement for you.

They make all different sizes. I added one to the port side under the cup holders, next to the seat:

port%20storage~0.jpg

West Marine sells them:
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/bomar--inspection-hatches--P024_720_002_502