• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Add me to the list!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
seems like best idea is to pull the plugs after each outing and leave them on the cleanout tray in the "locked" position (to let the tension off of the springs)

I've never had a problem with them sticking until I kept my boat in the water for a week with the plugs in they ended up stuck and I had to use ice and a rope to help get them out.

If you do have any dirt/slime/build up just use a cloth or whatever lighter weight cleaning supplies you have to clean it up,

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, periodically put some silicone on the rubber part of the plug. I use the stuff from the pool store; others use WD40. Either way, something to keep the rubber fresh and slippery.

<insert dirty joke here>

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So here is what I discovered after carefully going over the process used for the cleanout plug to fail with a lock on it.
First when installing a clean out plug with an EZ lock you have the plug in your hand, you attach the EZ lock on the plug first, this places the ends of the lock in the first stage of securing the plug, the lock is attached to the plug but the second stage of locking is not yet engaged.
Now place the clean out plug in it's opening and seat it by pushing down the T handle to secure the clean out plug , this action moves the holes in the inner part in line with the outer holes.
Usually you need to move the EZ lock side to side a bit to get the ends to slip into the second stage and pin the two sections together securing the plug.
You can visually confirm that the lock is in place and see the ends touching in the center.
In this position the plug can not come out unless the locking ring is defective , I only know of one instance where a ring was defective it was actually cracked.
I believe that the crack occurred from over tightening a purple plug fix but that is just my theory based on the fact that the person who had the defective ring did have the purple plug fix and his cleanout plugs blew often even with those installed .
If you install the plug first and then install the lock after wards, as was done it this situation, it is more difficult to do and if you see the lock go into the first stage of the clean out plug you could easily believe that the lock is fully installed when in fact the ends are only in the outer portion of the cleanout plug and not in the center portion meaning nothing is pinned together.
So my advice is to place the lock on the cleanout plug before you install it, then be sure the ends close into the center when you push down on the t handle and actually look down at the ends to confirm they are engaging the center part of the locking dog mechanism.
I also found using a small file to remove any burs that may exist on the ends of the EZ locks will allow them close a lot easier.

Last edited: