• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding a wake tower to an SX240

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any thoughts or ideas about this?
Local dealer wants nothing to do with it? Surely it cannot be that difficult with the proper structure or backing plate?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I understand the only difference between the SX and the AR boats is the tower. Try to find someone with the same year boat as you that's and AR and see if they will let you poke around to see how it's attached. I'd take pics of mine but it's still wrapped up here in the north.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I remember right there is an aftermarket company called Samson that make towers for the Yamaha boats without them. I think they used backer plates but I am not 100% sure how they were mounted.

Www.samsonsports.com

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did this to my former boat. The only issues I had were convincing my claustrophobic wife to climb into the storage compartment to tighten up the bolts. Very simple process that will take some time. You want to make sure you lay all the parts out first, measure accurately to ensure all the boots are placed in exactly the same place on both sides, and install it with another person to help hold parts in place as you add more.
towerparts.jpg
boattower2.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mounted a couple of aftermarket towers, and with Yamaha thin hull I think there may be a distinct advantage to using factory reinforced attachment sites, SX and AR share their hulls.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have mounted a couple of aftermarket towers, and with Yamaha thin hull I think there may be a distinct advantage to using factory reinforced attachment sites, SX and AR share their hulls.
Yes, whichever tower, whatever location, you need to use some sort of backing plate. The best option would be to fiberglass in nice piece of solid marine durable wood on the inside of the hull for the tower mount to be secured into.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dealer installed a Samson tower on my 240. It has been no problems in the 5 years I have owned it. I believe there is a large aluminum backing plate inside the boat where the tower mounts. If you look at the "sticker less boats thread" you can see a side profile of my 240 with the Samson reverse arch.

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I want to do a Roswell tower... It is very OE looking and classy, seem to be well built too

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am still on this trying to see options. From the dealer they say "no way". There is a liability issue with adding a tower to an SX model. They are telling me that the hull is in fact built up for reinforcement for the tower?
I disagree although I cannot confirm but I don't see Yamaha changing the molds to offer two completely different upper hulls? I have a feeling that they just don't want to mess with it so I am still looking for options.

I want a top-mounted forward swept tower. this is the best I have seen yet:

https://roswellmarine.com/camrttowerfeature.php

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess the issue with the 2015's is the tower is a surface mounted forward tower so I'm guessing that's the only place with reinforcements for a tower.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am still on this trying to see options. From the dealer they say "no way". There is a liability issue with adding a tower to an SX model. They are telling me that the hull is in fact built up for reinforcement for the tower?
I disagree although I cannot confirm but I don't see Yamaha changing the molds to offer two completely different upper hulls? I have a feeling that they just don't want to mess with it so I am still looking for options.

I want a top-mounted forward swept tower. this is the best I have seen yet:

https://roswellmarine.com/camrttowerfeature.php
I don't know about the 2015s, but the SX and AR hulls have always been the same in the past, my 2012 SX190 had the same reinforcements as AR190s. I suspect the dealers just don't want to deal with that and the liability.
It should also be easy to check - looking under the cap in your SX, you should be able to see the factory reinforcements where the AR tower mounts.

How much is the Roswell tower? If it is the same or similar price as OEM, I would personally opt for the OEM. Those have been overpriced and not that great, but the new ones seem really fine.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I added a tower on my boat. To get to the area needed to add backing plates and tighten the tower bolts I drilled 5" hole behind the seats in the 3 areas I needed access to. Just make sure your seats cover these holes when reinstalled.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't remember who but the OEM towers aren't made by Yamaha. There is a sticker on the top of my tower that says XTP towers.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
and I may be interested in your bimini top! :)

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
the new Roswell stuff is really nice! Light years above the Ariel, Monster, etc. towers that are more universal fit...
I have sent an email in to XTP - I await their response.

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No go on the XTP towers. They only do OE... they tried putting me on the typical aftermarket companies. Probably going to end up going with the Roswell Towers, they look incredibly professional to be add-ons

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
the new Roswell stuff is really nice! Light years above the Ariel, Monster, etc. towers that are more universal fit...
I have sent an email in to XTP - I await their response.
Dealer I've been speaking with says that Yamaha towers are rebranded Monster towers and says they install them all the time. And, are quite a bit cheaper. 'Course, he may be trying to sell me a SX instead of an AR or Ltd S. :D Anyway, he definitely seems to know what he's talking about. And several here know him. (St Louis area)

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thin fiberglass and having to have custom covers made kept me from adding a tower to my boat, I ended up trading it on for one with a factory installed tower. Very glad I did.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thin fiberglass and having to have custom covers made kept me from adding a tower to my boat, I ended up trading it on for one with a factory installed tower. Very glad I did.
I completely agree. With these Yamaha hulls, especially the newer ones, I would STRONGLY consider using factory mounting points. The good news is, those hulls' reinforcements in models w/out tower (AR vs SX) are the same.

Once you drill/mount anything through hull and see how thin the fiberglass (FRP) is in the gunnels, you will likely agree.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I suppose you can go here and order OE tower and parts to it. http://www.yamahapart.com/

I haven't ordered anything from here yet, so I am not sure if you have to have a dealer ID or anything. I actually need to get the back transom radio cover and a new bow light and was thinking of using this site.