• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding Batteries

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I took my new 16 242X out yesterday and after playing music (low) for about an hour and a half my batteries died. I had a jumper pack thankgod. I am adding a sound system to the boat in the spring pushing a lot more power than my current system. Now the boat was at the dealer (not a yamaha dealer) for maybe a month or so before I bought it and then I had a warranty check/oil change done right after delivery by a yamaha dealer. Maybe the batteries just need a really good charge? I haven't had too much time to spend in the boat yet so I still have questions like

Do the batteries need to be on for the solar pannels to charge?

If I added another battery or 2 and wanted to use these for mostly sound system/sitting when engines are off, would I basically connect them to the house battery? It seems like both batteries need to be on for my sound system to turn on now through the connect screen?

Just a little confused haha

First thing to check is what type of batteries are in there? Starting or Deep Cycle? Second thing to check is what is the date on the batteries? Are they the originals from 2016? they'd be almost 3 years old by now and in prev owner did not take good care over winters, they might need to be replaced come spring.

On my new 17 when I got it the dealer installed 2x starting batteries which don't hold juice very well for stereo use over long periods.

Personally, my spring project is to replace both starting batteries with Deep Cycle batteries. it is not an expensive upgrade, less than $150 for 2 at Advanced Auto with coupon codes readily available. Your situation seems similar and might solve your issues. These engines are basically waverunners, so CCA amps don't need to be high, so any Deep Cycle will work.

Just my $.02

@afsigma21 I appreciate the advice. I think starting fresh is a good idea, I may just add an extra deep cycle for the stereo. So buy 3 in the spring :cool:

If you are on a budget, like me, here is the trick.

Go to advance auto site and add them to your cart but don't check out, sign up for their adds. Eventually they email you 20% off, then eventually 25%.

DJ,

I plan on adding an additional battery, and recently found Blue Sea has an ACR (auto relay unit) that when the second battery is at least “x” volts, it closes the relay when the electrical system is charging, then opens the relay shortly after the boat is shut off. Wire the amps to your third battery, and the two main batteries should never run down. The only thing you may need to do is to wire the stereo head unit to the amp battery also.

At least this is my tentative plan vs buying a manual 2 battery switch (1,2,1+2,off).

First thing to check is what type of batteries are in there? Starting or Deep Cycle? Second thing to check is what is the date on the batteries? Are they the originals from 2016? they'd be almost 3 years old by now and in prev owner did not take good care over winters, they might need to be replaced come spring.

On my new 17 when I got it the dealer installed 2x starting batteries which don't hold juice very well for stereo use over long periods.

Personally, my spring project is to replace both starting batteries with Deep Cycle batteries. it is not an expensive upgrade, less than $150 for 2 at Advanced Auto with coupon codes readily available. Your situation seems similar and might solve your issues. These engines are basically waverunners, so CCA amps don't need to be high, so any Deep Cycle will work.

Just my $.02
I agree completely on using deep cycle batteries, these engines are easy enough to crank, so having two DC batteries is definitely a plus.

However, if you guys do not fix the DVSR connectivity issues to be able to use an external (or onboard) shore power charger for individual banks, you will be swapping batteries every year or two years, anyway. No reason for that! two modern deep cycle batteries (properly maintained) should be able to power a monster stereo system for many HOURS, and last for many seasons.

My 0.02

--

My setup, I can play loud for a whole 3days without charging. Moving 2 amps

Is that the only battery you have in the boat?

Is the XS the brand?

TY!

Back