• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding hinged seats to LS2000

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone add hinges and latch to their LS2000, front seat cushions similar to how the LX210 is set up?

I ordered the latches which are on sale at West Marine along with some hinges. I have to think this will be an easy mod and will provide additional storage under both seats.

Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

Here are the latches I ordered and a pic of the LX210 set up

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/southco-marine--mt-sundecker-panel-latch--15183015?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%20-%20Product%20Type-_-15183015&product_id=15183015&adpos=1o7&creative=108421551484&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw16HLBRDF9L2UmOCH7U8SJAASVESoCFmigjhv3Kkvkb9w30IfHJkPudMuNog_ysR3Un6HoxoCwFHw_wcBScreen Shot 2018-10-11 at 9.34.13 AM.png

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
great idea i look forward to your finished product

dabomb6608

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hey 4x,

Did you ever make any moves on this project? I've been trying to find pictures from a LX210 boat showing this area with the seat up. Does the storage just go down into the hull similar to underneath the helm storage bins? Looking at the parts diagrams and your picture of the underside of one of the seats it looks like it wouldn't be a tough job. Once you get past the lump in your throat from cutting two big holes in your boat that is...

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered the parts over the winter and will be installing now that the weather is getting nicer. I think the holes are already there and our seats just sit on top. I did add a door on the side of the dash console area which has added a lot of additional storage for garbage, towels, etc. I'll let you know once I tackle this but I just did an engine rebuild along with rebuilt carbs so I have some breaking in to do first. Hope it is a good summer

dabomb6608

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I hear you on the engine rebuild and breaking in. As I mentioned in my thread I'm still working on getting all of the bugs out of mine mechanically before I start doing the upgrading I want to do.

Are the bow seats mounted with screws from underneath? How do you access them, I guess just from getting inside the hull at the consoles?

Please post up some photos of that door you added if you get a chance. As well as the seats once you get there.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

dabomb6608

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Interesting. Seems that item title is way off or I am completely missing something lol. Do you have any pictures of the finished install itself? I have contemplated putting some carpet like seen in the newer yamaha boats down in the dash compartments. Then maybe building up a removable flat surface to give it a "bottom" instead of just a void into the abyss of the hull.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting. Seems that item title is way off or I am completely missing something lol. Do you have any pictures of the finished install itself? I have contemplated putting some carpet like seen in the newer yamaha boats down in the dash compartments. Then maybe building up a removable flat surface to give it a "bottom" instead of just a void into the abyss of the hull.
I would advise against putting anything in the bottom under the dash compartments. A few years back I found some containers (yes I put drain holes in them) that fit down there perfectly and thought it would be a great spot to store items you didn't need frequently (extra life jackets, extra ropes etc.). Apparently it stays pretty moist down there and everything heavily mildewed. Threw out everything I stored down there.

dabomb6608

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Good to know. That does sound about right as there seems to always be a bit of water in the lower bilge (back area specifically). Maybe for the people that store these indoors that wouldn't have as much of a issue. Mine sits outside about 100% of the time and currently is uncovered considering I am working on it semi frequently and haven't washed it yet since buying it in March. Once I actually give it a proper cleaning I will start throwing the bow snap on cover and full cover that came with it on after each use.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dabomb6608 , yes I noticed that the title is incorrect and that is an amazon problem right now. Weird

I do not keep anything stored overnight in any compartments on my boat. I like the door that I installed and we use that for a garbage can. When/if I do the seat hinge, I'll put a container there and we will store towels there which will be easy for everyone to get to.

dabomb6608

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@dabomb6608 , yes I noticed that the title is incorrect and that is an amazon problem right now. Weird

I do not keep anything stored overnight in any compartments on my boat. I like the door that I installed and we use that for a garbage can. When/if I do the seat hinge, I'll put a container there and we will store towels there which will be easy for everyone to get to.
I would imagine as long as you get a tight fitting compartment to fit along the lip of that seat cutout and a weatherstrip seal on the edge that it would have less issues with mildew. It would be sealed off from the moist atmosphere of the bilge at least.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would still recommend pulling out everything from the boat. I have been through a few boat covers and the mildew that develops has always been because of left over vests, skis, beer cans, etc.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I ordered the parts over the winter and will be installing now that the weather is getting nicer. I think the holes are already there and our seats just sit on top.

I took one of the seats off for another project and to clean underneath the seat.

On mine they used pt plywood instead of starboard. The fiberglass is not cut out. You can see in the pic they use two studs to hold it in place. The front one was a pain to get off. You have to reach through the cup holder.

STill seems a worthwhile project given the amount of space available. But the bottom of the seats will need to be finished off (probably with a perforated vinyl so it doesn’t mildew.) And will have to figure out some sort of gasket for the fiberglass rough edge after it’s cut out.

I might try a HD Velcro instead of the southco latches.

3CF50CEA-9372-4B38-932A-CF676D52A7B1.jpeg

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@the MfM , great shot of the seat. You are saying that underneath the seat is solid fiberglass so we would have to cut it out? In the picture that I saw with the laco latches, the underside of the seat was a plastic and not plywood.

How did you get your seat off? Its just 2 nuts? one that you could reach from under the console and the other you reached through the cup holder? How will you get the cupholder one back on without dropping the nut or are you now committed to using Velcro?

I trailer a lot so I would be concerned about Velcro or anything else that isn't completely bolted down

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes, under the seat cushion is solid fiberglass.

It was held on with just two nuts. I got the front one off through the cup holder. I don’t see an easy way to get it back on.

I’m planning to put it back on with hinges. And figured I’d try velcro to keep it from bouncing open (instead of the latches). I might as well go ahead and cut out the opening for storage now that I’ve got it apart.

Last edited:

dabomb6608

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Yes, under the seat cushion is solid fiberglass.

It was held on with just two nuts. I got the front one off through the cup holder. I don’t see an easy way to get it back on.

I’m planning to put it back on with hinges. And figured I’d try velcro to keep it from bouncing open (instead of the latches). I might as well go ahead and cut out the opening for storage now that I’ve got it apart.

For your rough edge, try and source some weatherstripping similar to this 120" Car Door Seal Strip Rubber Weatherstrip Protector Edge Trim Guard Pinchweld | eBay

That will protect the sharp edge and you can even apply some adhesive to better secure if its a loose fit. Do you have any pictures showing the area with seat removed?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
20 years of grime under the seat...got it cut out. Fiberglass is 3/16” thick.
DBE5C3E0-719A-414F-87E4-A76B5661CFF9.jpeg

83C3E21B-94C1-4E7E-80B5-9DA214E582D0.jpeg86C0BB9B-92F9-4790-A453-63ED8D924737.jpeg

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Got the seat hinge on and in place temporarily ..the only SS hinge Lowe’s had was a piano hinge. It works but was a pain to get the screws in with it in place. Need to pick up some machine screws and nylock nuts for the fiberglass.

Two minor issues. The seat needs to be slid back all the way towards the stern so it will open without binding because of the angles. So there is a slightly uneven gap around the seat/fiberglass. Most people probably wouldn’t notice.

The other issue is the LS boats have an extra bolster at the front edge. That bolster bumps into the grab handles so the seat won’t open all the way.

I’m also going to order the latches. Without them the seat could flip up if someone stands on the edge of it.

4DE348F1-0A07-4640-9A1B-32FE15748193.jpeg

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Overall, nice cheap mod that gains a little space. Nice spot for some extra lines or the fenders. And now I have nice easy access to the front of my anchor winch.