• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding sxm?

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
ok guys adding xm to the boat. Just wanted to see if the antenna needs to be on the out side of the boat or will it work on the inside? If it needs to be on the outside where did you guys mount it?

Attachments

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mine is mounted under the helm. Screwed right into the fiberglass. I can send a pic in the morning if you like.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The xm radio antennae is a line of sight device. It can still pick up a signal if it’s installed in the helm but it won’t be a strong signal. One way to check it is to leave it loose and exposed before installing it and simply sit on it / cover it, doing so will cause signal loss almost instantly. Uncover it and the signal resumes.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The xm radio antennae is a line of sight device. It can still pick up a signal if it’s installed in the helm but it won’t be a strong signal. One way to check it is to leave it loose and exposed before installing it and simply sit on it / cover it, doing so will cause signal loss almost instantly. Uncover it and the signal resumes.
I might have spoke too soon. The box he is displaying is mounted under my helm but I believe the hockey puck GPS system is at play as well.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The hockey puck is the antennae for the gps speedo.
my 2010 242ls came with the xm module installed, the antennae was mounted under the helm/head unit. I first moved it on top of the hockey puck but lost signal whenever someone sat on it . I have since moved it to the top of the tower and have had no issues with signal loss since.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hmmm. Pics please...
Here are a few screenshots of pics from previous posts. It was fun looking for them.
E07052D8-D5C6-497A-AC8E-2C8CD213985F.png
The black box in the upper left corner is the oem xm module, the antennae is Out of sight but is behind the fiberglass wall at the front of the pic.
AF65493B-5528-4F26-B131-8AF894D36681.png6B282385-0467-456A-8A9F-BA1B433EC077.png
the white cable leads to the hockey puck and the gauge cluster.
866EEE10-7983-46D2-96AF-B38A9D0A8980.png

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
thanks guys im going to see what i can come up with. just wanted to make sure it needed to be mounted on the out side of the boat. i just hate putting holes in a new boat!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2019scott195wake300 , Only the end of the antennae needs to be out in the open, the other end is about the thickness of a bid pen so if you have to drill a hole it’s not a big one and there is a good chance you can lead it though a prexisting opening where parts like the dash and windshield connect. By the way I have the same module as you do installed with with my fusion head unit. Good luck.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, I learned something new about mine by investigating this. I never really followed the antenna wire. Just assumed it was wired to the hockey puck. I followed it though for this thread. Turns out the antenna is sitting under the helm, on the ledge of the fiberglass. I took some pics. Follow the thin black wire. Hopefully you can see it. I also took one of the box he needs to mount. I also took one from the top view to give you an idea where it’s laying underneath. I get great reception.

Attachments