• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Air Filter Upgrades - Performance vs Sound?

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thats why i posted that i will buy kanaflex to relocate if necessary, i have previously used this filters and the sock works really nice with water if you are washing the boat, ill give them a try and report back

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After some testing, decided to go back - I hate when things don't pan out the way I'm hoping for, but such is life!

The main reason for staying with the OEM boxes: sound difference is quite pronounced while performance gains with the SS pods are more of hair-splitting (under normal conditions in cold temps).

That could change in hot weather, but the noise reduction wins for me, on balance.

These pods are free to a good home, I reinstalled the factory boxes already. PM me if interested. (pods only, no gaskets/braces)

--

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Glad I went ahead and ordered the factory replacement flame arrestor filters and kept my air boxes then.

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can any of this be done to the 1050cc engines in the SX210? Meaning the ribbon delete and/or filter mods.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can any of this be done to the 1050cc engines in the SX210? Meaning the ribbon delete and/or filter mods.
Yes, but no need - there will be essentially no tangible gains. The MR-1s are so well vented stock.

--

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, but no need - there will be essentially no tangible gains. The MR-1s are so well vented stock.

--
I thought the MR-1s were in the older boats? Mine is a 2014.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They remained in the 21' boats for certain models like the SX and AR. If you wanted the 1.8L you had to get a 212X or 212SS. This is why the newer 210's have the TR1 engines as they replaced the older MR1 engines.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What he said^^. I don't remember the year, I think it was 2010 MY Yamaha went with 1.8s in the 212s. Up to 2009 those used MR-1 HOs - very close as far as power to 1.8 N/A. Older 210s are MR-1 (non-HO), the new are TR-1 - starting in 2016-17(?).

There is not much you can do to a MR-1 HO in terms of performance. Even Group K could not offer much, those come essentially in racing trim strait from factory. The non-HO can not be converted to HO because of the cost of upgrades (i.e. would be cheaper to just buy HO engines).

--

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
10-4. Thanks for the info.