• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Alarm Constant Buzzing

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hey guys,

I know I posted a thread about this probably a year ago. However it is still an issue and I am determined to figure it out now.

I went to install a new battery tonight and I recognized that as soon as I connect the ground (only the ground) that the alarm buzzer starts to make a high pitched buzzing noise. Also the gauges start to make that brrr sound for a moment. This tells me either A. the buzzer is magical and makes noise off ground only, or B. there is power somewhere in the boat still.

Any thoughts?

This seems quite odd....can you confirm a couple of things?

How many batteries are on the boat?
Where are each of the cables to hook power to the boat located while you connect ground only?

I suspect you know this, but I will state for sanity check as we troubleshoot... electricity travels from - to + to form a circuit.. No circuit - no path - no power....

I'm with you that Option B is more likely than Option A.

Any chance you have another battery in the boat you don't see or know about?

I removed both batteries to be replaced by a larger single. This is in factory battery compartment with all power connectors. I Can confirm that when I hooked only small gauge factory ground back to battery, noise starts. No other batteries in the boat.

Hey guys,

I know I posted a thread about this probably a year ago. However it is still an issue and I am determined to figure it out now.

I went to install a new battery tonight and I recognized that as soon as I connect the ground (only the ground) that the alarm buzzer starts to make a high pitched buzzing noise. Also the gauges start to make that brrr sound for a moment. This tells me either A. the buzzer is magical and makes noise off ground only, or B. there is power somewhere in the boat still.

Any thoughts?
This is the kind of black magic Great Wizard @Mainah may have incantation for, possibly.
:wideyed:

--

This is the kind of black magic Great Wizard @Mainah may have incantation for, possibly.
:wideyed:

--

On @adrianp89 boat the buzzer is negative switched by the MFD (connext). Given his background I am sure he will be able to figure out from there.

Any chance it's about all the ground wires being connected to each other allowing some sort of path to other equipment? and not related to the "battery" ground?

I removed both batteries to be replaced by a larger single. This is in factory battery compartment with all power connectors. I Can confirm that when I hooked only small gauge factory ground back to battery, noise starts. No other batteries in the boat.
Do you have a small battery in your stero to maintain programming? Could also be a capacitor holding a charge. Can you put a bolt meter on it?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Any thoughts?
Did you ever figure this out? I have that same noise.

Nope.. have had other issue and didn't dig too much into it.

I thought that my connect unit was making a buzzing sound.
I have just come to realize that the buzzing sound is comming from the buzzer ( constantly on when the battery switch is in the on position).
It's not loud but I can hear it and it annoys me....also concerned it could be draining the battery.
Could the buzzer be bad? Why would it be constantly getting power to it?
I would just cover the buzzer up all together but I assume it goes off in as a warning alarm if there is a mechanical problem with the boat? Yes

Bump....... Still having this issue hoping someone might have an answer.
When I switch the battery on I get a high pitch noise from the alarm buzzer.
Not very loud but I can hear it and fell it must be draining the batter somewhat.
Keys not in, just the battery connected.
?

Never figured this out on my boat.

Any chance your radio is backfeeding power from the memory power line into the rest of the boat?

On my boat there is not be much still connected to the battery when the switches are set to "Off" (Bilge and Radio Memory that I have moved to be OFF when I set it to OFF), but your boat is a little more sophisticated. I would still hunt in those places. See what's still powered when the switch is off.

Hey did anyone figure out a solution? I’m suffering the same. 2017 AR210.

I've examined how the buzzer is wired and disconnected and reconnected various stuff to rule out various components. It seems that the Connext screen is sending some current to the buzzer whenever there is power at the helm and causes it to buzz constantly. The humming is not being caused by the radio, amp, switches, etc.

I can think of a few options to explore from here:
1) Can Connext screen firmware be updated to fix?
2) Would a new Connext screen resolve?
3) Would a different buzzer that requires full current to function not hum?

Has anyone tried any of these? How do I know if my Connext screen is running the latest firmware for my model?

I called the Dealer and they had never heard of this happening with the buzzer before. They're going to research service bulletins and call and their Yamaha rep. I'll report back if I learn anything.

2 years later mine still makes the buzzing sound. I wrapped some tape around it to lower the sound and can still hear the alarm when needed. Would love to figure it out....I did think about replacing the buzzer with something else but never did.

Can you measure voltage at the buzzer? That's quite strange, and it seems somewhat frequent based on this thread.

Also, can you measure the voltage from the ground cable going to the buzzer to the battery ground?

Best of luck!

It's 100% a ground loop causing the issue. Where that issue stems from is a whole different ball game.

It's 100% a ground loop causing the issue. Where that issue stems from is a whole different ball game.
Well ...
If you temporarily re-ground the ground to the buzzer to a better ground, does the buzzing stop?

Thanks.

Back