• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Almost sunk my boat... Happy to be here :-)

Glad to hear ya'll made it home safely. Really appreciate you sharing the story with us. Def going to install a second bilge pump and alarm when I get the boat back.

I'm happy to read that you and your wife are ok. Thank you for sharing your experience, posts like these help all of us in times of chaos on the water to be calm and think through others experiences.

Thanks for the lesson Ed. Glad you're both ok. You've reawakened the proactive boater in us. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Ed, glad you guys are ok!

OMG Ed, thank you for posting, I read the entire post and have learned a great deal. It is terrifying to think of what could have happened to your wife. Thank God she (and your boat) are okay.

Also, welcome :Welcome:

Ed, I'm glad to hear your story has a happy ending.

Everyone should check the hose clamps, but if you are a salt water boater you need to check more often. Even though actual salt water may not enter the engine compartment the salt air does. It is very destructive.

Your post makes me think about installing a second bilge pump. And I think it's time to check mine to make sure it is still working.

Thanks for the informative post.

I learned a good lesson from this story.
We treat the boat like an airplane every time before we go out on the water.I look at everything before hand. Very glad your home safe and welcome!

Very glad to hear everyone is okay and thank you very much for the information. I am currently installing a second bilge pump and will definitely do a good inspection of connection in the aft bilge area.

Wow....how scary, keeping your cool saved the day. So glad everybody was ok and thank you for sharing.

Ed, I am glad you got in safely and thank you for sharing. You have made a big contribution on this board through this write up. My clean out tray gets pulled this weekend!

Another "Thank You" to you, Ed! Thanks to these members too; I recently changed out my scupper and went through all the clamps back there. Since I had a few off for the swap, I think I'll check on them to make sure everything is still snug. One question: What did you have available to bail water out on your own? I usually have a couple sand buckets and a kiddie potty for the little ones on board; but you got me thinking a hand bilge pump or something might be more effective in a pinch and cheap insurance. It would still work after the batteries quit (until I quit). Thoughts?

Early warning is the key to stopping the water ASAP. A high water alarm in the bilge is a must.

The best manual pump I have used came from West Marine. Its the 36" tall one with a 72" long discharge hose. This pump is tall enough that it can be operated in a comfortable position and reach low into the bilge while having a long discharge hose to get the water overboard. Cheap insurance!
http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--manual-bilge-pumps--P011_330_003_501

Long, that wasn't long. . . . Have you read some of my rants? It was worth EVERY second spent reading it. INVALUABLE information here folks.

Thanks for sharing Ed and that you and the Mrs. are ok.

I too was wondering what you had to bail with. We often have a few sand buckets, but I've discovered those pull and push water cannons work well at moving a lot of water quickly. You know the kind, you stick the end of the cannon into the water and pull the shaft apart to full extention. You then pull the gun out of the water and aim and fire by pushing them together again. You can really soak somebody good with one of these things.

Thanks for the story. All of these stories help when something happens because they pop into your mind. I've had my cleanout tray off almost every year doing something. Most of my metal underneath looks brand new. I was in there last year installing transducer and did check the clamps, but it's making me think about doing it every year.

Ed, I read this right after you posted it, but didn't have time to reply ~ THANKS for the heads up.

I'll be getting in there to swap out the scupper sometime soon and I guess I'm also going clamping! :cool:

When I replaced my scupper, I found the OEM scupper in good shape but found 1 broken clamp and another ready to go. I think I'll be going in there once a year now and coating them with T-9.

Good read and I'm glad you are both ok. We all learn together when something happens to one of us. That's the beauty of this forum! I am fairly new to the boating community and I have a wealth of knowledge just from reading on this site and the other one. Thanks again.

Back