• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Almost sunk my boat... Happy to be here :-)

I have the manual pump that @Murf'n'surf posted about. I feel its always good to have a back up system but I do need a bilge alarm.

Is that the screw from the top of your airboxes?

I remember always going to the back of Private Pilot Magazine and reading the "I learned...." articles from pilots that wrote about how things went wrong and it always got worse as the story continued. Your experience reminded me of those countless articles I read. I gained a lot of "free" experience from those articles and I know it helped me avoid many bad experieces as a young (and old) aviator. So thank you for sharing. Although I inspected my clamps when I did my oil change am still staring at my Stainless Steel Scupper wondering if I should install my keel guard this week or put in the scupper. You may have convinced me to do the latter.

Ed, like the others above stated, glad that you two are ok & thanks for posting this. I keep several things on board to help with the removal of water too. Super soakers, and a manual pump (like @Murf'n'surf talked about. Here's a pic of it so other guys get a better idea of what it is.

manual pump.jpg

I find that pump handy to pump out my ski locker after I hose the boat down. I store my boat indoors and don't want the water to drip out the aft plug all over my warehouse so I like to keep it contained in the ski locker.

Think West Marine will hook us up with a group buy on that pump? LOL. It would be nice if it showed up on the Fantastic Friday deal; but anyway you slice it...CHEAP insurance.

Wow!! I'm glad it worked ok for you. I guess I need to get in there and check my scupper and clamps. And I will also buy a manual hand pump.

Another "Thank You" to you, Ed! Thanks to these members too; I recently changed out my scupper and went through all the clamps back there. Since I had a few off for the swap, I think I'll check on them to make sure everything is still snug. One question: What did you have available to bail water out on your own? I usually have a couple sand buckets and a kiddie potty for the little ones on board; but you got me thinking a hand bilge pump or something might be more effective in a pinch and cheap insurance. It would still work after the batteries quit (until I quit). Thoughts?

Okay... it's a little embarrassing... but at the time my mind is racing to think of what I have to bail with. The soft cooler insert was to big... water bottles to small... what else do I possibly have that I could... got it!
13087.jpg

The pilots will know what it is...

For those that don't... yep I was bailing with the portable pilot urinal (minus the lady J adapter!)

And Murf... I had my hands on that very manual bailer at West yesterday... it will be on my boat by Sunday... if I manage to get back on the water by then.

I am cracking up now. Curious... but never expected that! I guess it would not be much different from my kiddie potty! One step up is a relief tube in a plane but it can't bail you out oba sinking boat like that. I recently had a customer request an inspection for corrosion from the relief tube outlet during a pre-buy on a light jet. Potty time can be bad news for a plane, especially when it is mixed with blue. I now have even more respect for you!

Ha ha...we have one in our boat too! And the little blue clam fitting for the girls! Ironically, it has ridden in the containers on two boats now and never seen service. Dang sure would in a small airplane!

I will join the others thanking you for the writeup. Excellent reminders and lessons. And also very glad that everyone is ok.

Question: you mentioned the ski locker was filling. I had that too during a flooding incident caused by not putting the plugs in all the way. I figured out that I had left the plug out of the bottom of the ski locker, which probably didn't help. Was your plug in or out? I have made sure it is in since then, on the theory that even if the bilge fills the locker will provide some buoyancy. Any merit to my theory?

Second question: any ideas for a source for good breakers?

Update...

I ordered the stainless scupper from WalMart Monday night... it arrived today (Wednesday) for $55 shipped... I was not expecting it until Friday... Whoo Hoo!

20140604_201017.jpg

I am sure I will have to shave down the exterior flange a bit for my boat based on what I have read. I plan to install with 4200 or marine silicone... not sure yet.

I am going to replace the exhaust clamps, clean-out pipe clamps, output shaft hose clamps and the scupper clamp with t-bolt clamps.

443606.jpg

They average price is around $20 ea at West, but I found the same clamps at the local Marine Trading Post for an average of $9 ea. I planned to use a single clamp on each of the four exhaust fittings, but with @Murf'n'surf 's advice I will back them up with a standard stainless worm clamp.

I do however need a little help from anyone that might know clamp sizes since the boat is in storage and I won't have access to it until Saturday when I go to work on it.

Based on the clamps I removed, I believe that the clean-out pipe clamps (A) are 6", and the muffler hose clamps (C) are 4", does that sound correct?

20140602_172109e.jpg
20140602_164005e.jpg 20140602_164036e.jpg

I am still not sure of the size of the output shaft hose clamps (B), I forgot to measure them. Any idea?

After I replace the all the clamps I will apply a liberal coating of T-9 before sealing up the clean-out tray. And... add this compartment to the annual inspection list! (and most likely, renew my Sea Tow membership) ;)

The last items for the Saturday work-a-thon are an oil / filter change and finish installing the second (replacement original 500gpm) bilge pump with two new Blue Sea circuit breakers for both bilge pumps. I am already sore thinking about it...

@thcole I think that is indeed a screw from the airbox... I had some warranty work done right after I bought the boat and one of the airboxes was replaced. They must have dropped a screw because the best I can tell they are all accounted for... yea... I'm gonna go with that.

While I am here posting... two more things...

Thanks to the jetboaters.net founders, and thank you @Murf'n'surf for leading me here! Thank you all for your vision and your "do the right thing" attitude! This site rocks and it is so much more user friendly that what I was used to "over there."

I had the opportunity to use the mobile version of the site today and it made me think how much more useful it is... especially when you might desperately need it, out on your boat when all you have is a portable device. I know without a doubt that this will soon become the definitive source for all watercraft powered by a jet pump.

Last but not least... thanks to all of the welcoming members. I am at a loss for words when it comes to the support that you have shown me in two short days. I only wish that I had been here from the beginning... and I hope that I can continue to contribute a fraction of what I gain from all of you. Thank you! You guys rock!

:winkingthumbsup"

Ed

Attachments

• 20140604_201017.jpg
    20140604_201017.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20140604_201017.jpg
    20140604_201017.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 5
I've had my boat for two weeks. Its brand new and sitting at the dock, but this is really good info and a great learning point for someone new like me. Thanks for the info and like others, glad it was a safe return.

I will join the others thanking you for the writeup. Excellent reminders and lessons. And also very glad that everyone is ok.

Question: you mentioned the ski locker was filling. I had that too during a flooding incident caused by not putting the plugs in all the way. I figured out that I had left the plug out of the bottom of the ski locker, which probably didn't help. Was your plug in or out? I have made sure it is in since then, on the theory that even if the bilge fills the locker will provide some buoyancy. Any merit to my theory?

Second question: any ideas for a source for good breakers?

To this day I have always run the boat with all of the "internal" plugs removed. My thought was that, particularly with the ski locker, water over the deck would be held from the bilge and not get pumped out. I know that the general consensus is that all the plugs should be in place when underway, and I really do not know what the difference would have been had I had them in place.

If I had the ski locker plug in, could that have caused the bow to be more buoyant and lowered the stern even more... would that have accelerated the incoming water... don't know. The engine deck plugs never really made any sense to me because after the rear section of the clean-out area floods, it comes in from that direction anyway by way of the holes for the exhaust and scupper hose. I will defer this to other members and their thoughts on the internal plugs and follow the most sensible advice.

Breakers: I am sold on Blue Sea equipment. I am completely confident with their products and they have great customer support. When I purchase my dual battery setup I had a charging issue with the house battery. They immediately recognized the issue based on my description of the problem and sent me a replacement system and a return label that I received in two days. But that is my .02...

Tks!
Ed

Thanks for the tip about the place on Davis Blvd! I'll be headed there for my clamps when I replace my scupper.

Great to have you here Ed! I think of you every time that chopper buzzes my roof out here in Valencia Lakes!

Ed! Welcome to the site, I'm glad everyone survived and was able to make it home safely. I inadvertently started a long somewhat heated debate by asking about whether or not to put compartment plugs in. The consensus was, on the water the plugs are in. I really don't know the correct answer, but my guess would be that having the internal plug in would have kept the water in the bilge/engine compartment. Had the plugs been in place, you may have ingested water into the engines (water isolated to engine compartment = deeper water) and ended up with a very expensive repair. I really think these boats are next to impossible to sink, with the exception of a major hull breach.

Thank you for sharing your experience I'm adding checking hose clamps to my spring prep and winterization processes. In your case the rust did you in, but vibration loosening a clamp could be equally disastrous. I'll be checking them tomorrow! I don't have T9 but I'll be coating mine with CorrosionX.

Feel the under side of the clamps, that's where the rust will be -- out of sight.

Replaced the scupper today https://jetboaters.net/threads/replacing-yamaha-sx230-scupper-valve.1325/page-2#post-33610

I also replaced all 20 of the hose clamps under the clean out compartment and coated every metal nut and clamp with Fluid Film. http://www.fluid-film.com/

On the each of the exhaust fittings I used one standard worm style clamp and one t-bolt clamp. I was not able to install and seal up the clean out tray 'cause I ran out of time and my back was killing me after 7 hours. I completely intended to take pictures of the process but there was nothing I could have photographed that was any better than @Bruce 's post on the scupper replacement linked above. Praying for no leaks when I test next weekend.

Ed

Back