• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp and Speaker Match

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Power wise, yes that would be a fair match.

Rockville seems to be really hit or miss with its quality, sometimes they hold up well, sometimes they hold up for a few weeks.

At that price point, I would go with this: https://www.amazon.com/Clarion-XC2410-Compact-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00S7G1TPO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1GION24MVNFFD&keywords=clarion+amplifier+4+channel&qid=1550927155&s=gateway&sprefix=clarion+am,aps,156&sr=8-1

A hair less rated power, but I would bet actual power between the two amplifier is very similar (nothing you would never notice anyways), plus much easier installation (no need to run power wires).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^^What he said.
Those Clarion class-D micro amps have been proven here, I don;t recall any issues with many members using them.
They work perfect paired with Polk DBs, easy on a battery, too.

--

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^^What he said.
Those Clarion class-D micro amps have been proven here, I don;t recall any issues with many members using them.
They work perfect paired with Polk DBs, easy on a battery, too.

--
I bought a fuse block to hook to battery switch and then I will wire amp and fish finder to block. What gauge wire should I use from the fuse block to the switch and battery?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a fuse block to hook to battery switch and then I will wire amp and fish finder to block. What gauge wire should I use from the fuse block to the switch and battery?
Here is what I did, based on recommendations from @Mainah and others here:
If I may make a recommendation, the KnuKonceptz OFC wires that @Mainah recommends are FANTASTIC. Here is the 4awg variety. That would be more than enough for what you need. I used 15' each.

You could run those across the fuel compartment following the steering cables into the helm. Fuse with a breaker like a big Bussman mounted by the battery.

A distribution block is convenient if you can find what you want. I started making those on my own, I can fit what I want and how I want it. Just plug and play into the amp board. Here I'm putting together one for ballast pumps
Absolutely. This would also alleviate a chance of creating any ground loops and some such. Keep in mind, 4awg from knukonceptz is bigger than many 1/0 from some car "amp kits", easily, that wire is SOOO good. I used 15' and had little to spare, if your batteries are pushed deep in the bat comp or whatever, you may want to get some extra.
The fuel hatch pops right up with 4 allen bolts, just don't drop it on your toes, lol.
I ran mine in a loom, but then also did this thing with a pool noodle, to protect the cables inside, probably overkill
View attachment 55741

--

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Rockville seems to be really hit or miss with its quality, sometimes they hold up well, sometimes they hold up for a few weeks.

At that price point, I would go with this: https://www.amazon.com/Clarion-XC2410-Compact-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00S7G1TPO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1GION24MVNFFD&keywords=clarion+amplifier+4+channel&qid=1550927155&s=gateway&sprefix=clarion+am,aps,156&sr=8-1

A hair less rated power, but I would bet actual power between the two amplifier is very similar (nothing you would never notice anyways), plus much easier installation (no need to run power wires).
Rockville amps are CEA rated power, Clarion not so much. To me, that means the Clarion is likely not making rated power.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Rockville amps are CEA rated power, Clarion not so much. To me, that means the Clarion is likely not making rated power.
CEA ratings are garbage. It is so bad that industry leaders are working to revamp it. Besides that I would easily trust the Clarion, but if you didn’t the KTP-445u would suffice for a few bucks more.

Stricter Amplifier Ratings Proposed | ceoutlook.com

In fact I just swapped a 445u for a Rockville 5 channel in a customers wrangler. The sub channel worked pretty decent, but the speakers sounded noticeably worse. Rockville rated for 50x4 and Alpine 45x4.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

They’ve got a clarion warehouse special available for $70 right now.

I’ve had good luck with amazon warehouse stuff, usually the box is a little beat up but otherwise the stuff is fine. And if it isn’t you can return it easily.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
CEA ratings are garbage. It is so bad that industry leaders are working to revamp it. Besides that I would easily trust the Clarion, but if you didn’t the KTP-445u would suffice for a few bucks more.

Stricter Amplifier Ratings Proposed | ceoutlook.com

In fact I just swapped a 445u for a Rockville 5 channel in a customers wrangler. The sub channel worked pretty decent, but the speakers sounded noticeably worse. Rockville rated for 50x4 and Alpine 45x4.
CEA ratings are far better than non standardized rating. They at least require a you to use the same voltage and THD levels as everyone else, and actually test the amp and not just make it up.

Power isnt everything, there's a lot that goes into an amp that doesn't show up on a spec sheet. Frequency responsecurves, harmonic distortion, etc. All this is important to sound quality but isnt going to be listed on an ad, and this is what you pay for in a nice amp vs a cheap one.

I'm not going to say Rockville Amps are the best. They're a house brand for a major car audio website so they're going to be contract manufactured in China. But they're at least trying to be legit, which is more than many companies can say.

Personally... I'd spend a bit more and buy an alpine, rockford, kicker, kenwood, pioneer... established high quality brands. I say that as someone who did that - I got rockford amps fir maybe slightly more than the cheap stuff and rockford is in my experience (both personal and professional) top of the line stuff quality wise.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
They’ve got a clarion warehouse special available for $70 right now.

I’ve had good luck with amazon warehouse stuff, usually the box is a little beat up but otherwise the stuff is fine. And if it isn’t you can return it easily.
That is a steal - great pick up for anybody looking for a cheap and easy upgrade.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone who can solder could build an amp with a few simple components that would put up some impressive cea ratings. No one would want that amp though because it would sound terrible. My guess is that all amp boards are made in the Chinese market. Likely the extruded aluminum chassis too (jl chassis is bit different). The reason the highest quality amps cost so much is because of how many folks are tacking a percentage on top and the higher end brands usually spend more on marketing for with lower volume sales than high volume low to mid grade competitors.

JL, Wetsounds, and others do use better components in their amps and they do use third party pick and place factories with tighter tolerances and better qc. I have a class d rockville amp in my truck for a sub and I am about to try one in my boat for two subs. I won’t hook up a cheap amp to good full range speakers though because as others already pointed out there is a lot more to amps than just power ratings. Subs operate on a very small bandwidth and need lots of power which is why a cheap amp may do just fine with a sub and bad with full ranges.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
CEA ratings are far better than non standardized rating. They at least require a you to use the same voltage and THD levels as everyone else, and actually test the amp and not just make it up.

Power isnt everything, there's a lot that goes into an amp that doesn't show up on a spec sheet. Frequency responsecurves, harmonic distortion, etc. All this is important to sound quality but isnt going to be listed on an ad, and this is what you pay for in a nice amp vs a cheap one.

I'm not going to say Rockville Amps are the best. They're a house brand for a major car audio website so they're going to be contract manufactured in China. But they're at least trying to be legit, which is more than many companies can say.

Personally... I'd spend a bit more and buy an alpine, rockford, kicker, kenwood, pioneer... established high quality brands. I say that as someone who did that - I got rockford amps fir maybe slightly more than the cheap stuff and rockford is in my experience (both personal and professional) top of the line stuff quality wise.
While I agree it's better than random numbers on a box, it isn't too much better. Peak power ratings can be labeled as RMS and met the requirements. Adding insult to injury, there is no legal pitfuls for breaking the rules. It is not enforced by the FCC and CTA does not even bother with it at all. In reality - there are manufactures slapping whatever they want on a box with no repercussions or real testing.

Your original statement was bugging me, because Clarion has been a major player and has produced some really top notch stuff, so I looked it up.

This amplifier is CEA compliment, if that's worth anything lol. Clarion U.S.A | XC2410 I would bet money the Clarion would drive the speakers noticeably better, especially based on my experience from Wednesday.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Sorry, but I am very green when it comes to stereo systems speakers, amps ect. Will the Clarion XC2410 drive 4 Polk DB652's and a 10" sub? Would I need to add another amp to drive 1 pair of DB652 tower speakers?

TIA,
Scott

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Sorry, but I am very green when it comes to stereo systems speakers, amps ect. Will the Clarion XC2410 drive 4 Polk DB652's and a 10" sub? Would I need to add another amp to drive 1 pair of DB652 tower speakers?

TIA,
Scott
Clarion should only be driving four speakers. They make a matching unit in mono for subwoofers.

For ease of install, at your point I would pick up an 8 channel amp. You can run the 6 speakers on it and run channels 7/8 bridged to sub (give it has the power you need)

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Clarion should only be driving four speakers. They make a matching unit in mono for subwoofers.

For ease of install, at your point I would pick up an 8 channel amp. You can run the 6 speakers on it and run channels 7/8 bridged to sub (give it has the power you need)
How about using a 2nd Clarion XC2410 to drive the 10" sub and tower speakers?
I am the one who stole the Clarion off of Amazon for $70 LOL.

Scott

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How about using a 2nd Clarion XC2410 to drive the 10" sub and tower speakers?
I am the one who stole the Clarion off of Amazon for $70 LOL.

Scott
Those XC clarions are not bridgeable.
They are perfect for running four DBs though.

EDIT: bad info! Only the xc1410 is NOT bridgable. Sorry!

Last edited:

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral