• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp install question

BAC.94

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am upgrading the stereo system this spring. I will be installing tower speakers, sub, and 2 amps. The amps will be mounted in the storage console in front of the helm. I am planning to add a second deep cycle battery to power the amps so I don't end up draining the house battery. So my question is, can I put my second battery in the helm console and wire the amps directly to the power (in-line fuse protected of course)? This would save me the trouble and cost of snaking long power and ground wire through the boat. Thanks for the help!

BAC.94

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've already bought the tower speakers...Wet Sounds Rev 8's! Looking at JL for the amps, sub, and 6 in-boat 6.5's.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Should sound good!!

Regardless of where you put your battery I think you will still be using power and ground wire if you want to charge them with a dual bank charger. Plus I think you might want the ability to use either battery so why not just put them both together and run one big 0 awg wire then run a distribution block from there to your amps?

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I am upgrading the stereo system this spring. I will be installing tower speakers, sub, and 2 amps. The amps will be mounted in the storage console in front of the helm. I am planning to add a second deep cycle battery to power the amps so I don't end up draining the house battery. So my question is, can I put my second battery in the helm console and wire the amps directly to the power (in-line fuse protected of course)? This would save me the trouble and cost of snaking long power and ground wire through the boat. Thanks for the help!
Yes, you can hook the amplifiers directly to a battery of your choice IF, and only if, you move the source unit and ALL audio electronics over to the same battery. You cannot allow different components in the audio chain to access power from two sources with different voltage potentials. This would certainly introduce noise and could cause damage to equipment.
Although I'm not sure what you would accomplish with this scheme. I may be missing something.
It would seam that you would have to route heavy gauge wire in any case in order to benefit from the boat's charging system.
While you may not want to introduce a deeply depleted battery to the charging system and other battery after a long duration at rest, there is no valid reason not to have the boat's charging system (including a Yamaha) to service the stereo battery all day long until that event occurs.

drjames1107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
battery switch.jpg amp board.jpg sub 2.jpg tower speaker.jpg I just did a similar upgrade on my 2013 242LS. 2 new amps, 2 tower speakers and a powered sub & an EQ all Wet Sounds. I originally just used the stock two battery setup but am now adding a 3rd battery (or second House battery).

I agree with David Analog I think you would want to take advantage of any amount of charging ( as little as it may be on Yamahas). So even if you mounted the 2nd battery in the helm you would still need the wiring going back to the rear of the boat.

I would recommend adding the 2nd or even 3rd battery to the rear of the boat and running 0ga OFC wire to the helm. then use a distribution block to distribute power to the various amps/eq's you will be installing up there. I finished mine recently and it works perfectly and sounds awesome!

View attachment 2765

Top Bottom