• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp Install

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
15' is not long enough on a 24' boat. I started with 50' and had a little left. I'll measure how much was left when I get home. I ran from batteries across rear of fuel cell area, straight into starboard storage area, then up starboard gunnel area. Kept wires tied up high or along factory harness.

I highly recommend replacing factory jumper between battery and switch. Should be same gauge as your long run.

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the 2017 AR210 and I think if I run thru the fuel across to the gunnel and then up to behind the stero I'll go with 17' from the amp to the fuse then 18" jumper to the battery

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will one battery be fine for this amp install? I plan on adding another battery soon.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im going to stick to 1 battery until the end of the season.

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the Blue Seas mini add a battery kit. I'll probably just buy a spare battery and leave it in the boat till I get everything working right.

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did 18' of red 4 gauge and then 19' of black 4 gauge. I ran it thru the engine bay up against the bulk head with the other wires then to the battery compartment and the other end up the driver side to behind the dash.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good measurements! I screen shot your post for my reference.

I just finished install of the 4-mx650's. they are a HUGE difference over stock.

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

Just ahead Of a massive storm!
IMG_2820.PNG

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya they don't make a difference. So much more clear. I also checked the stock speaker wires and they are 16 gauge already so I'll probably not replace them unless I need to.

We have a tropical storm coming this week too. Just that time of year.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you have West Marine crimp up your wire ends?
Ya they don't make a difference. So much more clear. I also checked the stock speaker wires and they are 16 gauge already so I'll probably not replace them unless I need to.

We have a tropical storm coming this week too. Just that time of year.

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No. My west marine is small and they said they didn't have a tool for that. I ordered one on Amazon.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
15' is not long enough on a 24' boat. I started with 50' and had a little left. I'll measure how much was left when I get home. I ran from batteries across rear of fuel cell area, straight into starboard storage area, then up starboard gunnel area. Kept wires tied up high or along factory harness.

I highly recommend replacing factory jumper between battery and switch. Should be same gauge as your long run.
I had 11' left of my 50' roll. So....19.5' runs on a 242LS

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So far I have ran the power and ground wires. I ordered a cutting board on Amazon and I cut it to mount the Amp and installed it behind the cockpit on some hinges. I am going to need to run new speaker wire since the stock ones won't reach the Amp. Once that is done I should just have to hook up all the wires and be good to go. Planning on doing it in the morning.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Still deciding if I want to put the amp in the battery compartment or under the dash.
I put both of my amps in the battery compartment of my 240. To me I find it easier to access the amps and keeps the power/ground wires shorter.

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I decided under the dash so I can keep all my storage space in the battery compartment. It ends up filling up quick when you just start throwing things in it.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I decided under the dash so I can keep all my storage space in the battery compartment. It ends up filling up quick when you just start throwing things in it.
I had mine in battery compartment for years and while the battery runs are shorter it's not the most ideal environment. Now this is a period of 9 years, but the batteries do off-gas and this corroded my amp. It was time for an update/upgrade so I made the move to the helm. Actually much easier to access and tweak/adjust. Once you route cables it is a piece of cake.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had mine in battery compartment for years and while the battery runs are shorter it's not the most ideal environment. Now this is a period of 9 years, but the batteries do off-gas and this corroded my amp. It was time for an update/upgrade so I made the move to the helm. Actually much easier to access and tweak/adjust. Once you route cables it is a piece of cake.
I agree. It also makes for shorter RCA runs, and makes it a lot easier to add something like the WS420 in the future.

--

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finished mine up for the weekend. It works but I am goin to re run some of the speaker wires. I need to read the Amp manual because I feel like it should be louder.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finished mine up for the weekend. It works but I am goin to re run some of the speaker wires. I need to read the Amp manual because I feel like it should be louder.
Have you set your gain on the amp? I had a friend complain about his JL amp not being loud and he just plugged in all the wires. You need to set the inputs (is there one set of RCAs coming from head unit or more), set HP filter, adjust gain, etc. The default gain is almost ZERO. All of the info is in the manual and a good place to start.

Txjetter17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not set the gain. There are a lot of little switches and knobs. Not sure what it all means. My first amp.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not set the gain. There are a lot of little switches and knobs. Not sure what it all means. My first amp.
@Txjetter17 When tuning your amp,
1) keep the bass turned down on the amp and make sure head unit treble and bass are set to 0
2) make sure treble is about half way on amp
3) if you have high pass and low pass switches turn them to high pass.
4) turn amp gain up to 1/4
5) play a song, on head unit turn the volume up 3/4 (this will be max setting on hu)
6) leave h.u. volume 3/4 go to amp and turn up the gain until it starts to distort then back off the gain until it's clear. (This is max clean volume with amp and head unit.
7) turn up the bass for your liking without distortion on your amp. You can keep these settings a little low and fine tune with the head unit (remember I said to keep hu treble and bass at 0)
8) if you have any other amp settings like subsonic filters or bass boosts you will just tune them to your liking.