• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp install

Okrhino

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Having an amp installed in my 2018 242. Radio is on the swim platform. They’re installing two sets of 2gauge wire for future amp. Running wire for sub and installing sub as well. Price they gave me was $900. Seemed high to me. I am supplying the amp and the sub. BOAT “bring on another thousand”

Hard to say if its expensive. Its your time versus money. I did my amp install and it was very easy. I had my dealer install my battery charger and keel guard and I think that was $700 total. But it was worth it for them to do two jobs for me before I picked up the boat. I did my own sub but that entailed cutting through the fiberglass. Not hard but it took some thinking to not mess it up.

Having an amp installed in my 2018 242. Radio is on the swim platform. They’re installing two sets of 2gauge wire for future amp. Running wire for sub and installing sub as well. Price they gave me was $900. Seemed high to me. I am supplying the amp and the sub. BOAT “bring on another thousand”
Thats seem pretty high even if they are providing the wiring. I can’t imagine the job taking more then 2-3 hours to complete.

Depends on the quality and length of the wire run from battery, conduit used, fuse/connector types etc. If it is a 25ft run form the battery compartment to the helm and OFC not CCA wire with high quality connectors and breaker the parts alone could be few hundred bucks (well spent), also if they include tuning the amp, etc.

--

How are you installing the sub? In a box under the seat or actually putting it in the side wall?

The prices I have been learning about for stereo/electronics install work on autos and boats has me considering opening a side business. Good wire / components are not cheap but labor is not that hard and easier to pull wire in a boat vs a car/truck. I just upgraded the stereo in my truck from stock with a new headunit, amp, sub box, and added a rear view camera. Wiring was a giant pia compared to what I did in the boat.

If labor is 700 bucks to install an amp and sub then the quality of the work should reflect that. Even then sounds steep to me.

Does that include the amp too? Boat installs are super easy compared to cars. I could do it in 1hr for 50 bucks in wire.

Another quick thought for @Okrhino. The stock head unit does not have enough power to push the stock speakers to their potential by itself. Simply adding a second amp to feed at least the cabin speakers good clean power will make a world of difference. Tuning the amps to pull out the really low frequencies from the stock speakers allowing the sub to handle those will also let those stock speakers play noticeably louder and more clear. Since already paying someone for labor it should not be too much more to add a second amp next to the first one and just do one 0 awg run into a block to feed them both. Quality power wire, fuses holders, distribution block, SHIELDED rca cables, and terminals do make a difference. A true quality install and tune also makes a difference.

I agree with @Mainah

Here is our stereo at maybe half volume with properly powered speakers and tuning. All the way to maximum volume setting it is crystal clear.

2 gauge wire? Sounds like a JL Amp kit. Where is amp going? If by battery, a single kit is fine at prob $150. Labor for amp install is $120. Subcut out install I would price around the same. So at $150 for wiring, $120 for amp install and $120 for sub - you would be at $390. Price is way too high, based on given info.

2 gauge wire? Sounds like a JL Amp kit. Where is amp going? If by battery, a single kit is fine at prob $150. Labor for amp install is $120. Subcut out install I would price around the same. So at $150 for wiring, $120 for amp install and $120 for sub - you would be at $390. Price is way too high, based on given info.
Thanks for all of the good info.

I agree with @Mainah

Here is our stereo at maybe half volume with properly powered speakers and tuning. All the way to maximum volume setting it is crystal clear.

Wow that sounds great. I hope mine sounds that good when I get it back this week.

I agree with @Mainah

where you from? I live in Channahon. I wanna take my boat from Illinois river to Lake Michigan. How was it? Any advice with locks and route?

Back