• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp overheat/self protect

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for some advice/help, did a Wetsounds install this winter. Had 4 or 5 good outings and then one of my towers stop working, I redid the connection and it seemed to work fine. Got soaked yesterday and my amp now works for 5-10 minutes, gets really hot, and goes into self protect mode. Right before it powers off I get a whole bunch of error codes on the connext, I assuming it’s from a over current on the audio system. I am thinking it’s a bad ground somewhere, or maybe a short. Any advice?

By chance is your voltage dropping way down? That will cause protection mode in wetsounds Amps. Also they don't like getting soaked (wet). Very well could be a ground issue, but unlikely if they do work originally. I'm leaning towards not enough voltage. My boat did that alot. I'm running a crap ton of power though (2 amps 2000rms watts). 2 batteries dedicated to sound system, and I had to upgrade to 0 gauge power and ground wires from battery to distribution blocks. Then 4 Guage from distribution blocks to amps. Wetsounds towers (if powered properly) are very very needy on voltage. If your drawing more voltage then the batteries can give the amp then the amp will run hot, and shut down. Have you multi meter tested the outputs to the towers to see if they have proper voltage?

By chance is your voltage dropping way down? That will cause protection mode in wetsounds Amps. Also they don't like getting soaked (wet). Very well could be a ground issue, but unlikely if they do work originally. I'm leaning towards not enough voltage. My boat did that alot. I'm running a crap ton of power though (2 amps 2000rms watts). 2 batteries dedicated to sound system, and I had to upgrade to 0 gauge power and ground wires from battery to distribution blocks. Then 4 Guage from distribution blocks to amps. Wetsounds towers (if powered properly) are very very needy on voltage. If your drawing more voltage then the batteries can give the amp then the amp will run hot, and shut down. Have you multi meter tested the outputs to the towers to see if they have proper voltage?

It’s on my list to tackle this week. I got a 200amp deep cycle agm battery, brand new, showing 12.7volts on the connext, on a NOCO 24/7. Everything worked fine for 5 or 6 outings, amp wasn’t running hot at all. One of my tower connections came loose last week, I reconnected it. Worked fine for a day. Next outing it rained pretty hard. Inline fuse blew. Replaced the fuse, after about 5 minutes I get the excessive heat and the self protect mode. My initial thought is my tower connection is bad again, but for the 5 minutes everything works and sounds good.

It’s on my list to tackle this week. I got a 200amp deep cycle agm battery, brand new, showing 12.7volts on the connext, on a NOCO 24/7. Everything worked fine for 5 or 6 outings, amp wasn’t running hot at all. One of my tower connections came loose last week, I reconnected it. Worked fine for a day. Next outing it rained pretty hard. Inline fuse blew. Replaced the fuse, after about 5 minutes I get the excessive heat and the self protect mode. My initial thought is my tower connection is bad again, but for the 5 minutes everything works and sounds good.

Well Damn. It could be possible your amp is soaked and done. That would suck. Is it possible your positive and negative on tower are switched? Long shot, but you did say they came undone. Other then that I'm afraid I'm zero help ?

Back