• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp question

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I want to add an amp to the boat for some rear speakers, I think I'm ditching the idea of blue tooth since my brother-n-law gave me a marine amp and four speakers that he took out of his MasterCraft. Anyway, was wondering if it is better to give the amp it's own power source or can you or should you hook into the power switch for the stereo?? Thanks.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless the amp is very small you will want to run separate power wires for it.

If it will be very small you may want to add the speakers to the existing head unit.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Give the amp it's own power source and wire with appropriate gauge wire with it's own inline fuse. You can look up the amp's installation manual online.

You will run a "turn on" wire from the head unit to the amp that will turn the amp on when head unit is turned on. In the 2008s it should be a blue or blue/white striped wire in the head unit harness. May have a small inline fuse. May be labeled auto ant.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Give the amp it's own power source and wire with appropriate gauge wire with it's own inline fuse. You can look up the amp's installation manual online.

You will run a "turn on" wire from the head unit to the amp that will turn the amp on when head unit is turned on. In the 2008s it should be a blue or blue/white striped wire in the head unit harness. May have a small inline fuse. May be labeled auto ant.
X2

The draw from the amp certainly will exceed the max capacity of the head unit wires. My amp manual recommended 4 ga wire. The radio is wired with about 12-14 ga I believe. Point is: not even close.