• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor for 21’ boat?

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Suggestions for a Anchor for 21’ boat? Have a Dansforth that came with boat and it didn’t hold at all! Spent all day repositioning the boat and worried about drifting all day!!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you have the Danforth configured? What length of chain, etc? And what scope? How did you set it? I used the Danforth that came with my boat for years. It was not always the most convenient, but it generally worked.

That said, I upgraded to a box anchor and have been very happy with it. You need a bit more scope with it than they say, but it does work very well for me.

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My vote is for the vinyl covered blue one at Academy Sports. Fits perfectly, is safe to the boat, and holds well. As mentioned above, the key is scope. If a Danforth is not holding, you likely did not have enough scope. 5:1-7:1 will work.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have two galvanized box anchors for mine, a small box anchor and a baby box anchor. The baby box anchor works for about 90% of my boating. I started with the small box anchor but it is a little cumbersome to use due to it's weight and size and then purchased the baby box. The baby box anchor is a much easier solution most of the time. I boat on a river which has a slow current and is usually shielded from high winds. The depth is about 10-30 ft. For those conditions the baby box anchor works great and I don't need the small box anchor. Sometimes I go up the Mississippi and beach or anchor and need much more staying power for which the small box anchor is sufficient. Other times I go to Northern MN on larger deeper lakes where it can get very windy and then the small box anchor is needed. The bottoms of the lake also play a factor but I have found the box anchor usually works well no matter what the bottom.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use Mantus. I have an M1 and an M2, they work flawlessly for me.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Combination of a 20lb box anchor up front and mantus 2.5lb anchor at rear; both with 6ft of chain... We don’t move once we set on our 212... I would get an 8lb mantus if it fit in the anchor locker like the others do...

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@WetWillie Both of mine are 8lbs and hold solid. I agree with you about the front storage locker, so I just keep one under the right front seat. Repurposed front anchor locker for all my tow ropes and also throw my Mission Fenders in there as well.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I lined my anchor locker with this doubled up and easily was able to fit my 8lb danforth (back up), my 2.5lb Mantus, and the 20lb box anchor where they truly should be... I feel Yamaha really could have done better in making this access area more user & storage friendly...

Dri-Dek Marine Surface - 1'x1' Interlocking Tiles - Boat Storage Compartment, Anchor Dry Locker Liner & Deck Flooring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HU5SFP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5dWvFb1DP1Z7M

Also mantus is running an additional 20% of through this Friday Sept 11th on their website...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would try the slidebox anchor. What are you bottoms like on the lakes you visit? Our slidebox has been great holding our boat which is a bit heavier and tends to catch wind easier since it is taller.

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ordered the slide box anchor and will add line and chain to it (even though they say you don’t need chain) and will try that. Will also keep the dansforth to use if needed. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Ordered the slide box anchor and will add line and chain to it (even though they say you don’t need chain) and will try that. Will also keep the dansforth to use if needed. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Keep the Danforth for the back (stern anchor - that's what I have/do)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There is no need for chain on the slide box anchor. If you bought the knock-off brand be sure you upgrade the shackle bolt/nut.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a small box on my 24 and with a piece of rebar between the folded section of the anchor, it fits perfect in the locker. If I had any wave or wind action on it it would slip occasionally. To combat that, I put about 8-9 feet of chain on it and it's set and forget every time now.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My vote is for the vinyl covered blue one at Academy Sports. Fits perfectly, is safe to the boat, and holds well. As mentioned above, the key is scope. If a Danforth is not holding, you likely did not have enough scope. 5:1-7:1 will work.
I have the red coated one from Academy Sports. I WAS the guy that couldn't get his anchor to set until I bought a 4' length of that is now hooked to the anchor with a large carabineer and that is attached to my rope. 99.93 % success even in very strong winds.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wondering if rebar or even an aluminum rod coated in plasti-dip would be better than just the un-coated use in the holder...

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sprayed mine with plasti-dip.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Couldn’t quite tell from the pic also I bet the plastic plant supports for gardens that resemble rebar might work as well and easier to cut to fit... How much clearance do you have to the fiberglass there at the front of the anchor?